Holiday without kids

(19 Posts)
Katiesueirl Mon 21-Apr-14 01:05:00

For the first time in over ten years we are contemplating leaving the 4 kids at home and going for a weeks holidays alone!! The question is where???we are so used to looking for family resorts that I don't know where to start!! We are thinking of late February next year (wedding anniversary), somewhere warm, not too touristy, without lots of kids and that won't break the bank!! I know it's a big ask but any help would be appreciated.

ballseditup Mon 21-Apr-14 01:22:02

If you are going for a week you probably won't want to go long haul

With that in mind and the fact you want warm, I would suggest one of the Canary Islands

The med will be too cold and I've never heard anything good about Egypt or Cape virde.

There is of course lots of amazingcity breaks you could do but they wouldn't be warm

Creamycoolerwithcream Mon 21-Apr-14 12:20:00

How about Dubai?

foxdongle Mon 21-Apr-14 18:03:00

Hi I can only add madeira to the above suggestions, but we went in July not Feb.

we usually go canaries or
Caribbean at that time of year
itmight not work out much more for Caribbean
if you go AI and out of half term.
If you want to do long haul for a week that is. (we have usually gone 2wk or 9/10 nights
except a couple of times and week
was fine)

Bunbaker Mon 21-Apr-14 18:10:14

I second Madeira. It's wonderful.

purple15 Tue 22-Apr-14 21:21:14

I am in the same situation. Three children 20, 17 and 15. For the first time in twenty years I am having a week with my sister and leaving dh at home with the kids.
Normally, I book for the family. With cost being a big issue. I normally book a year in advance to get the price right.
But, this year is a whole new thing. Instead of booking for five, it is just two adults in term time.
We are waiting near the time and hopefully getting a wonderful bargain.
Its driving me mad though, I need to book it. It goes against everything I normally do.

purple15 Tue 22-Apr-14 21:22:02

The kids did have the option to come, but would rather stay at home.

Lightheartedindeed Tue 22-Apr-14 21:28:12

Went to Cape Verde for a week without the kids, was very relaxing and they had adults only section at our hotel. To be fair though the kids who were there were very well behaved which left us a little relieved to have left ours home

purple15 Tue 22-Apr-14 21:42:27

Lightheart - I think you answered a thread of mine about my holiday a few weeks a go and you linked the Hotel in the Cape Verde.
If it was you, I checked out the Hotel and it looked absolutely stunning.
Glad you enjoyed it!
Bet it was strange without the kids?

IamInvisible Tue 22-Apr-14 21:48:18

We've just had a week in Boa Vista, Cape Verde.

We stayed at the Riu Karamboa. It was our first holiday without our kids and, tbh, we couldn't fault it. I have not been as relaxed in a very long time. We will definitely be going back next year.

Lightheartedindeed Tue 22-Apr-14 21:54:31

Hi no it wasn't me who replied before sorry. Yes it was actually very strange without kids, kept thinking oh dc's would love this!
To be honest though I think they might have been bored after a while there is not much outside the hotel and the beach at Boa Vista is not great for paddling. Mostly red flag days when we were there meaning you couldn't go into water at all.
I hope you have a lovely time wherever you decide to go

IamInvisible Tue 22-Apr-14 22:01:37

We didn't think that Boa Vista was a family type holiday place Lighthearted. Like you say it was mainly red flag in the sea and there is nothing really to do for kids, other than Quad bikes for much older teens or kite surfing. TBH, the fact that it mainly catered for adults was one of the main appealing factors for us.

We came home, just as our hotel started to get more children arrive as the Easter holidays were starting.

purple it was me that answered your thread. We loved it in Cape Verde. I did miss the kids, but it was really nice to just be with DH!

Lightheartedindeed Tue 22-Apr-14 22:07:38

Definitely agree we certainly could not have taken advantage of the 24 hr all inclusive with the dc's present ;)

singaporefling Tue 22-Apr-14 23:17:42

We've been longhaul when it's just for a week without DC's... Eastern Caribbean Cruise on Celebrity Reflection / Maldives both superb/relaxing and Thailand - buzzing/vibrant... All fabulous holidays that can be done on a budget OR luxury basis

Chasingsquirrels Fri 25-Apr-14 10:27:07

We went to St Lucia without the kids this Feb for a week, went the tue before half term - so came back in half term week.
The flights were £1,200 in total, would have been £7,200 for the 4 of us to fly within the half term constraints - so that wasn't happening!!
I've never been away in Feb before and I am definately doing it again.
Probably going to pick the days and sort child are then get a last minute all inclusive as there were loads this year.
Caribbean, Egypt, Cape Verde, Dubai spring to mind.

Johnogroats Fri 25-Apr-14 10:46:26

Some friends of mine are going to Mexico later this year without their brood. They are desperate to get there! Just for a week.

We've done weekends away - nowhere exotic. I would recommend the Middle East, perhaps Oman. Not been there myself, although spent a lot if time in other parts of ME. SIL who likes her lux holidays went there this Feb at the same time as the Sky cycle team. Saw Chris Froome in the lift.

sparrowcottage Mon 28-Apr-14 07:41:40

morocco.. kasbah tamadot if you have the budget for a couple of nights. canaries will be full of old people, you will feel young and beautiful at least!

Fullcircletravel Thu 08-May-14 17:35:45

Morocco would not reliably warm in February and especially at Tamadot in the Atlas Mountains it would be cold.

My shorter haul recommendations would be:
- The Gambia (need anti malarial though)
- Cape Verde
- Canaries (there are some fantastic adult only properties such as El Mirador in Tenerife). Tenerife would be my pick in Feb.
- Egypt (great value at the moment!)
- Oman

olivo Thu 08-May-14 17:44:13

UAE/Oman lovely at that time of year. Might find Abu Dhabi and Oman cheaper then. Dubai. I can recommend any of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now