please help me with packing

(12 Posts)
Anomaly Thu 10-Apr-14 07:53:30

We're off to Tenerife all inclusive for a week with three kids aged 2, 4 and 6. First time abroad since we've had them as I don't really do holidays. Please could you give me any advice over what to pack. How many outfits should I pack. Do I need to take nappies? What about money, will our cards work or should we take travellers cheques?

Any helpful tips would be really appreciated.

givemeaclue Thu 10-Apr-14 07:59:14

Nobody uses travellers cheques any more, cash and cheques are fine.

Trick is to have a hand free atall times so handluggage-sized backpacks for all of you and one case/holdall per adult. If it doesn't all fit in that, there's too much. If it's all inclusive you probably won't leave the resort so you won't need to cover all eventualities. Pack one pair of shoes/flip flops each plus sensible ones on your feet. Roll everything, inc beach towels if hotel doesn't provide.
Short viscose dresses are my travel essential - they don't wrinkle, they drape nicely and stay cool, dry quickly and you can pop a pair of cropped leggings under if you get chilly. A cheap long sleeved shrug (eg black) is good for folding up tiny and adding arms to an outfit if chilly.

givemeaclue Thu 10-Apr-14 08:15:57

I always take nappies as I don't want to trail round shops when get there looking for nappies, also swimming nappies. But lots of people buy on arrival, I had a hard job getting swim nappies in France. For a week I would take swim stuff, water suits for the 2 and 4 year old and 2 outfits per child per day. One outfit is shorts and t shirt and one is for the evening I.e cardigan and t shirt, trousers or dress and cardigan. Sunlotions, hats, sandals. Lots of people take less and wash stuff out, if you have a decent luggage allowance I would take enough stuff for the week. Have a great time

Take a dozen nappies but remove from packaging, put each one in a nappy sack and squeeze into your various bags. Buy some more when you get there.

42notTrendy Thu 10-Apr-14 08:30:29

An outfit per day per child plus 2 extra. Pack nappies out of the pack over the top of your clothes. Pack nappies and change of clothes in hand luggage. All in one swimsuits ) high neck, down to knees) so there's not too much skin to cream up! Calpol/nurofen. Wipes in hand luggage. A pack of favourite snacks in hand luggage because even if you are AI, you can guarantee someone will be in need of something to eat at the most inconvenient time ! Have a fab time.

9 outfits per child for 3 kids?! Mine don't even own 9 different pairs of trousers/shorts! Ideally they'll be in swimwear most days anyway.

Re swim nappies they're for poo - pools are chlorinated enough to cope with wee. If you really can't predict a poo from a 2yr old, buy a washable one - lots of work-at-home-mums make them if you need an extra extra large one. You can sell it once it's outgrown. See the washable nappy buy&sell board.

42notTrendy Thu 10-Apr-14 08:48:14

Silk grin
I just can't do washing out on hols! Handful of cheap T-shirts and shorts. I just remember ds being 2 on holiday and spilling/vomming on a daily basis and always needing a change of clothes!

specialsubject Thu 10-Apr-14 10:02:35

your cards may not work if your bank/credit card provider aren't told that you are travelling. So call them and tell them.

travellers cheques are a 'had everything stolen' standby and probably aren't necessary for Tenerife.

just to check you have travel insurance?

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 10-Apr-14 10:41:38

You can buy nappies there rather than wasting your luggage space and weight. Bring re-usable swim nappies.

handy thread. thanks op!

starfishmummy Tue 15-Apr-14 22:48:48

With Ds we have been known to use t shirts as pj tops and pj tops as t shirts if we run out!! They look similar and he doesn't care!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now