Places to go in Denmark and Sweden?

(55 Posts)

We have almost definitely decided that this summer is going to be spent driving to, and around, Denmark and Sweden. We haven't quite decided how to get there- I'd like to take the ferry, DH would prefer to drive across Europe.
We have 4 kids aged 6-12 and we usually like to go somewhere for a few days, explore the area a bit, then move on. We will probably take 3-4 weeks for this trip.
Has anywhere been anywhere interesting or great for kids in these countries?
We'd like to see some historical stuff as well as go to a few child orientated places.

PsychicPaper Wed 26-Mar-14 13:55:06

Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen is a lot of fun - and you should do the Hans Christian Andersen trail with kids too

You also should go to Hamlets castle smile

Quinteszilla Wed 26-Mar-14 13:56:35

You need to get yer-self to Norway too!

Creamycoolerwithcream Wed 26-Mar-14 13:58:29

My DC loved driving over the Oresund Bridge.

Creamycoolerwithcream Wed 26-Mar-14 14:00:52

And Finland.
We went on a Baltic cruise last Summer, great part of the world.

We went to Norway last year and Finland a couple of years previously. But we didn't get to drive all around them, so will probably do those another time.
Please just suggest places in Sweden and Denmark. I need to get this booked and last time I left my DH doing the research I came back to find he'd costed up flights to Peru and Easter Island with a stopover in Toronto to see Niagara falls!

Quinteszilla Wed 26-Mar-14 14:31:04

Ok. I have only ever been to Copenhagen once, so cant comment on Denmark.

We took the ferry from Kiev to Gothenburg, and drove north towards Luleå. If you can get to Luleå, it is well worth a visit. We spent a week at Arcus camping, which was lovely. Plenty to do for children on the campsite, mountainbiking just outside. We cycled into Gammelstad for the folklore museum and absolutely loved it. Found a pizza restaurant on the way which sold the best pizza in the world.

We drove past many picturesque little villages north of Gothenburg, I wish we had more time.

foxdongle Wed 26-Mar-14 15:29:42

hi I worked and travelled around Scandinavia ( and Germany) for 10 months aged 20- (early 1990s-so things may have changed).
definitely Tivoli gardens,
Roskilde if you/dcs are into the Viking stuff.
the beaches are lovely- I used to go to one near Charlottenlund, just ouside Copenhagen.

Nyhavn is really nice, it's a harbour where all of the houses are pretty pastels and lots of cafes/nice shops.
They are mad about christmas stuff and candles if you are into that there are some gorgeous things.
little mermaid is a bit meh and was laughed at by the danes, though the other Hans Christian Anderson are worthwhile and so is Legoland .

I used to get the train from Copenhagen to Helsingor (think Hamlets castle) then the ferry across to Helsingborg Sweden. ferry was 2 kroner then - very cheap.
In fact whole transport system was very good and cheap. And bike rides are a very popular way to explore Denmark especially (flat).

Things were expensive especially in Sweden.
Gothenburg is a nice scenic drive and there's an amusement park Liseburg which was fun. Also a place called trollhaten- lots of scenic walks nearby/waterfalls etc. Further up (I think) there's a bridge between Sweden and Norway with amazing views svinesund?
takes me back smile

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 26-Mar-14 15:32:07

The bridgey thingy across from denmark to malmo is AMAZING!

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 26-Mar-14 15:34:23

You must find a lake to swim in if you are swimmers.

Wow, guys what a lot of great ideas. Thank you!
We all love swimming ( except my husband) and swam in the lakes in Slovenia last year. Has anyone got any recommendations for good swimming lakes?

And wow at that bridge- we love to add another bridge to our list!

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 26-Mar-14 15:49:22

I will try and find something that says the name of the lake we swam in.
It was beautiful.

I'll pm you as it may take a while to find it!

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 26-Mar-14 17:01:02

Oh I don't think I can pm you as I'm on a tablet!

I've looked and looked and can't find the name of the lake we went to.However, open water swimming is very big in Sweden so you'll have no problems finding a lake you can swim in.

We stayed in the Blekinge area in SE Sweden and we could choose either lake or sea swimming.

My dc's really enjoyed visiting an elk park too.

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 26-Mar-14 17:48:10

If I ever get the chance to go back to Denmark/Sweden I would like to go and see Christiania in Copenhagen, take a boat trip to one/some of the little islands off Sweden, lake swim sgain, and visit Stockholm.
If I was able I would go as far North as possible.

Quint I have my beady little eyes on Norway next.

An Elk park sounds great too smile

gardeningsarah Sun 30-Mar-14 09:11:23

Children would enjoy legoland in Denmark. If possible go mid/late August as the Danish children will be back at school. So queuing was kept to a minimum. We also stayed in silkeborg where you can hire canoes and go exploring.

We were planning on travelling during the last two weeks of August. Has anyone stayed in the legoland hotel?

We live in Sweden so I would of course recommend it! The West Coast north of Gothenburg is quite special I think with beautiful small islands, nature, seafood.. Quiet and unspoiled in the main.

As far as Legoland goes we loved it! Stayed in the hotel two nights last year. Suited us brilliantly though not cheap. V happy DDs though and DH had a huge smile on his face during the whole trip!!

gardeningsarah Wed 02-Apr-14 21:25:38

Stayed at the Legoland Hotel when we did visit. Loved the hotel, not cheap and the room was small for the 4 of us. You are able to use the swimming pool next door free of charge. The day we checked into the hotel we were allowed into Legoland for the last hour so we had a chance to suss everything out for the next day. We had a 2 day pass. We all loved it! and I am not a theme park person.

Am trying to persuade DH that we NEED a night in the legoland hotel!

lalasmum17 Thu 03-Apr-14 22:42:58

It is possibly worth experimenting with the dates over the Summer. I think much of Northern Europe goes back to school in mid August.

We had a great (late) August holiday in Billund (Denmark) for a few days. There is a Danish equivalent of Centreparcs called Lalandia right next door to Legoland. Unlike Windsor, this Legoland opens its gates to all about 30 minutes before the rides start closing and then keeps the restaurants and bars and mini land etc open a bit later (so we did a day at Legoland and then dashed to a few key rides for free the next day(s)).

We found driving about very easy.

misscph1973 Fri 04-Apr-14 09:30:17

I'm Danish! Ask me any questions! I am quite good at free or cheap things to do in Denmark.

jonicomelately Fri 04-Apr-14 09:39:19

If you visit Stockholm you should visit the Junibacken museum. It's a wonderful children's literary museum. I think it's a vewry special place. Just across the way is the vasa museum. That's also worth seeing. Pretty spectacular. I love gothenburg and copenhagen too. You'll have a wonderful time.

cowsarescary Fri 04-Apr-14 11:12:23

The Exploratorium in Copenhagen is a wonderful, hands-on science museum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now