Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Expired passport replacement needed before 16th April is this possible

(15 Posts)

A opportunity has come up for my son to go away on 16th April 2014, however his passport has expired ( by over 12 months ) Is it a renewal he needs and is it possible to get it done in this time,, The website does say you can in 1 week ( at additional costs) I'm just not clear if it means you have to book a appointment and go the them, (https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently ) or can do it by post,, advice would be appreciated please.

My friend had to do this, found out last week that her son could go on an overseas school trip next week. She had to go to Liverpool (from Essex) for an appointment as that was the only place in the country that could do the appointment quick enough and have a passport in a week. I think that is the one week service. Fortunately, she didn't have to take her son so he didn't miss school, it was just a boring return train ride and a half for her! i don't know if she has to go back again to collect the passport or if it is sent by special delivery.

You need 3 weeks (I think) to do it via the post office, though in my experience, we have always had them back quicker than that.

MillyMollyMama Tue 25-Mar-14 20:19:54

See where you can get an appointment. I managed to get it done in London very quickly.

Amateurish Wed 26-Mar-14 11:52:14

You can use the "Fast Track" service which will get the passport to you within a week. You need to make an appointment at a passport office.

I was hoping there was a way around having to go to the passport office were in the west Midlands, where would the closest one to us be??

hellsbells99 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:16:12

Liverpool is not far from the West Mids

nannynome Wed 26-Mar-14 12:27:45

Funnily enough I am in the Liverpool one right now fast tracking a passport. You just phone and they give you an appointment. You can either have it sent home in a week or pay a bit more and pick it up 4 hours after appointment.

MillyMollyMama Wed 26-Mar-14 15:33:04

Have a day out in London! Go down the M40 and park at Westfield shopping centre. Then use the underground. It is not like you are having to go to the Outer Hebrides!

The passport office in London will do the fast track by appointment but it takes 7 days there after as they don't do same day pick up for children.

WeeClype Wed 26-Mar-14 15:41:30

You could do it Check and Send, that's a 2 week turnaround. I applied for a 1st passport and a renewal a few weeks ago, I sent it normal post and I got both back within 3 weeks.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 26-Mar-14 15:44:25

I dont think Check and Send guarantees 2 weeks any longer. The .gov website says to allow 3 weeks to get the renewal back

i understand that London and Liverpool may not be far, but believe you me i can get lost 30 miles from home with a sat nav, i was never a pigeon in a former life blush, will have to wait for photos to be done 1st hopefully get all forms tomorrow then may try posting

Amateurish Wed 26-Mar-14 16:39:31

I did a same day passport renewal for a child a couple of months ago.

Personally, I would not rely on the post if your son has to leave on 16 April.

thanks, no were going to make a appointment and go from there, thanks for your help

OnGoldenPond Sat 29-Mar-14 16:32:21

I have just renewed my passport on the fast track at the London passport office. The office is right next to Victoria rail station, there are signposts from the station concourse for the passport office. Very easy to find. Only took about half an hour to complete the process then courier delivered three days later. Guaranteed within a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now