If not Mark Warner.....what?!

(17 Posts)
Herecomesthesciencebint Sun 23-Mar-14 21:39:50

Argh help! We did MW last year to turkey and it was fine. Snny, warm, kids loved the kids club and although DH and I are really active people it just didnt really thrill us. No one was playing tennis, the water sports were fine but run by kids and the place was nice enough but souless really. It does what it says on the tin, i get that, but can anyone suggest a similarly proced alternative?

We would love water sports, tennis, biking and places to run and hike. Kids want lots of activity to dip in and out of (boys, 6 and 9) and we like to eat and swim together in reasonable surroundings. Buffet fare suits us due to various dietary foibles but dont mind SC either.

Any brilliant recommendations? Or failing that your best MW suggestion grin

fizzly Sun 23-Mar-14 21:41:14

Nielson is excellent.

specialsubject Sun 23-Mar-14 21:56:29

you'll be lucky to get watersports instructors in the Med who are not kids - the circumstances of the job mean that older instructors are scarce - but some of them are very good.

Do have a look at Neilson - resorts vary in conditions, if you want wind don't go to Sivota but there are plenty of others. They all do tennis and biking.

BellsaRinging Sun 23-Mar-14 21:58:48

Neilson-I've been to both and wouldn't swap back.

Herecomesthesciencebint Sun 23-Mar-14 22:01:41

Thanks for replying both of you.

Can i ask what makes neilson better! Its obviously more expensive but is that just a reflection of better rooms? Im not sure that is something we are quite so bothered about seeing as we are rarely in them.

Just talking to DH and I think at MW turkey we missed out on adult organised sport a bit. Im not wanting redcoats! But unless we hiked or played tennis together there wasnt much going on. The chance to run or play against others would be good.

Been looking at the more family adventure type holidays but i think we would miss the sport side of things.

Herecomesthesciencebint Sun 23-Mar-14 22:02:34

Was meant to be a ? At end of second sentence sorry.

VegasIsBest Sun 23-Mar-14 22:03:44

All inclusive in the Carribean or Mexico. Lovely hotels if you chose carefully and lots going on, normally with a good activities team and free water sports.

PisforPeter Sun 23-Mar-14 22:07:06

Sunsail Vounaki is awesome, we're going back again this year

Sycamoretrees Sun 23-Mar-14 22:09:48

Neilson holidays are a lot more structured than Mark Warner, with lots of activity sessions scheduled each day for both Adults and kids. Although everything is optional (it is a holiday after all!) most people sign up for a full timetable of lessons and activities. Also found Neilson isn't always more expensive than Mark Warner.

givemeaclue Mon 24-Mar-14 09:38:20

Another vote for neilsons. A lot of their instructors in Turkey are older local people. There is cycling and fitness, running as well as water sports and tennis. Some kind of low key entertainment a couple of nights per week. Can also hire a car and explore the region

specialsubject Mon 24-Mar-14 10:02:43

Neilson rooms will be clean and comfortable, but they are for people like you who won't be in them much - as you would hope applies for most people on holiday! There won't be a million TV channels and a turndown service. :-)

you would certainly get tennis tournaments. Some places may do dinghy racing but check first, generally they have gone away from performance sailing.

Herecomesthesciencebint Mon 24-Mar-14 20:07:25

Thanks all that's interesting. Ill have a better look at the neilsons prices.
Anyone used any other companies or groups?

LIZS Mon 24-Mar-14 20:08:52

Will watch with interest , any independents ?

Weegiemum Mon 24-Mar-14 20:10:35

We went to the Dominican Republic freelance, booked direct with the water sports schools, rented an apartment in a gated complex with pool, ate out in lovely Local restaurants with varied food and self catered, had Spanish lessons, and calculated it was about 1/3 less than an all inclusive. But we've always travelled independently.

specialsubject Mon 24-Mar-14 21:59:35

been a long time, but take a look at Wildwind in Vassiliki. Not sure if they offer all the other things you want though.

singaporefling Mon 24-Mar-14 22:58:09

Always loved club med when dc's were younger - great activities/superb food...

truelymadlysleepy Tue 25-Mar-14 20:22:12

I'd look at some of the 5* in Mauritius. All watersports (including waterskiing) tennis (including group matches) really great food, kids clubs etc for about the same price as MW.
We've never looked back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now