Car Hire Novice - advice needed please

(11 Posts)
GillTheGiraffe Tue 18-Mar-14 00:54:12

I have never hired a car before blush but am planning to do so next month - in the UK.

My licence is the old 'pink' style licence without my photograph. Will I need to get it updated to a photo licence or will the hire company accept the pink one plus my passport?

Apart from ensuring I top it up before I return it, is there anything else I need to watch out for?

Thank you

AlternativeMoniker53 Tue 18-Mar-14 00:59:39

I think you'll need a photo license, they run out these days and need renewing. Have a look on the DVLA website. I hired a car today, it was fairly straightforward but I do think you'll come up short without a photo license.

specialsubject Tue 18-Mar-14 09:47:47

check with the company concerned. For instance, Avis say they will accept the old licences but will charge you a fiver to call the DVLA to check for endorsements.

GillTheGiraffe Tue 18-Mar-14 18:14:02

Thanks. I checked with the hire company and they say as long as the licence is valid that's Ok but I also need to show my passport for the photo ID.

AlternativeMoniker53 Tue 18-Mar-14 21:38:55

Well done, Gill, phoning the hire company was a great idea. Every day's a learning day!

MillyMollyMama Tue 18-Mar-14 22:42:31

I have hired with a pink licence but they do want the passport in case you run off with the car!

princessalbert Wed 19-Mar-14 21:22:51

Some companies have differing policies regarding fuel.

most I have used have started out with a full tank, and we had to return it with a full tank.

sherbetpips Wed 19-Mar-14 21:28:14

You will need to reserve and pay with a credit card not a debit card or cash.

rainbowmagic1974 Wed 19-Mar-14 22:54:57

You can also purchase insurance separately rather than through them. I think we used questor last time and it works out about £4 a day or an annual policy is £40. Saves a fortune as hire companies try and add on lots of extras.

GillTheGiraffe Wed 19-Mar-14 23:34:16

I have hired a Corsa.

Thank you everyone.

AlternativeMoniker53 Wed 19-Mar-14 23:38:23

Ooh, mine's a Corsa, they're quite nice aren't they? Roomier than I'd imagined and a dream to park. Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now