Peloponnese (Greece) - Looking for your best where to stay recommendations

(10 Posts)
iwantavuvezela Thu 13-Mar-14 10:00:31

We are looking at flying to athens or kalamate sometime in August, and am wondering if anyone has been here and can recommend somewhere to stay. We have a DD (7), so if possible a place that has a pool, or within walking distance from the beach.

HAs anyone driven from athens to Peloponnese? Not sure whether to fly to Kalamata, or hire a car in Athens and enjoy the drive.

Any recommendations, or advice gratefully received!

janinlondon Thu 13-Mar-14 10:15:01

Try searching Mumsnet for Stoupa......lovely.

iwantavuvezela Thu 13-Mar-14 18:08:16

Thanks for that, will explore the options you mentioned on earlier thread l...

watermint Thu 13-Mar-14 18:23:57

Google 'saint Fridays koroni'(sorry cant link), we stayed in one of their villas a few years ago and it was heavenly. Pretty basic-no pool- but walking distance to beach/olive groves/village.

We drove from athens but honestly id just fly to kalamata if I was you. The drive was quite stressful as greek drivers can be a bit crazy.

Enjoy, such a beautiful part of greece.

eightytwenty Thu 13-Mar-14 18:31:54

Know the Peloponese well, especially Stoupa. Have driven from Athens several times - but before the new motorway to Kalamata. Journey time much quicker now.

Thoroughly recommend Villa to Kyma for a high end place to stay.

NigellasDealer Thu 13-Mar-14 18:35:13

another vote for Koroni here.
and a little village called Agios Andreas on the road from Kalamata to Koroni as well, i mean there is not much there, just a beach campsite and some pensions and tavernas, but we spent a very happy holiday there.

We used to get the bus from Athens to stay with friends in Kalamata (before DCs). Would probably drive now - I expect the worst bit will be getting out of Athens. Yes, Greek drivers are a bit crazy - remember to respect the bus drivers!

Methone, Korone and Navarino are all nice. Kardamyli too but a bit more remote.

castlesintheair Sun 23-Mar-14 22:05:28

I stayed in a great place in Kardymili 3 years ago. Will try and link. Lovely place.

The drive is a doddle from Athens if a bit windy in places.

castlesintheair Sun 23-Mar-14 22:12:35

Search for Anniska and Liakoto. Vardia hotel also v nice.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 25-Mar-14 10:14:44

Stoupa is lovely, a really nice unspoilt Greek seaside village.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now