How long are passports taking now?

(18 Posts)
hulahoopsilove Tue 11-Mar-14 16:43:28

we are travelling mid May do I have time? Both are just renewals

Sparklysilversequins Tue 11-Mar-14 16:47:14

Yes. Send now though. The two week check and send service is no longer available. It's 21 days now. I've had friends who said theirs came back in a week but that was last year. I renewed mine in February and it took over three weeks to come back.

sinningsaint Tue 18-Mar-14 16:30:21

As sparkly says i will be 21 days minimum. However I ordered mine 2nd week of jan through the cheapest option (6 weeks) and it had come by the end of jan despite them having to send me a letter and await an extra payment from me to have my supporting documents sent back securely.

dd's renewal took 10 days using normal 1st class post last month.

cazrinda Fri 21-Mar-14 12:15:32

Hi. Joining this thread as I have the same concern. Put my application for two child renewals in on 20th March and need them back by 4th April. Do you think I've got any chance? Did 'check and send' but there were no appointments at the passport office to do the 1 week turnaround deal. I know this is less than the three weeks but the woman I spoke to as the passport office was confident it wouldn't take this long. Now I'm not so sure....

cazrinda,

You will need to phone the Passport office in question next week and ask them about this but you have left this very late, perhaps too late to get them back by then. They will take no responsibility if you do not get them back by April 2. You will need to quote the barcode for each application made. I hope you made a note of each barcode.

alwaysneedaholiday Fri 21-Mar-14 16:47:28

I used check and send in February (has it been scrapped since?), and had it back within 8 working days.

chipsandpeas Fri 21-Mar-14 16:50:47

joining in as ill be sending my renewal off prob on sunday

cece Fri 21-Mar-14 16:55:09

I've been waiting 2 weeks so far for dd's renewal.

Dp's renewal (check and send) took 2.5 weeks.

Ds' first passport has been a week but the money came out after two days (didn't bother with check and send)

cazrinda Fri 21-Mar-14 18:50:46

Thanks all, I knew I was leaving it late, but I was hoping for good fortune. I did 'check and send' and I have the barcodes, so will call next week and see if I have any luck.

I got mine back today, and I sent it away on 9th. No check and send - just normal post. It was a renewal, and I'd chafed the photo, so wasn't expecting it back so quickly.

Onykahonie Thu 27-Mar-14 16:29:08

Got dd'd renewal back today after 20 days (check and send). Very relieved after what I'd read here lately!

I got ds' back 15 days after sending it off without check and send. New application. I thought it was longer but when I checked it was really quick!

cazrinda Tue 01-Apr-14 16:17:33

Just to let people who are in the same boat know, I managed to get my daughter's passport fast tracked (for a charge) and it is being sent today. I was worried about my son's passport still and I called Durham just now, only to be told that it was printed at 9 am this morning and would be in the post today! So, I will get both passports with 3 days to spare, one being fast tracked and one not. Who knows whether they would have both got here without fast track, but at least we are going on holiday after all! Good luck to those out there still waiting - it was 13 days from sending to printing for my son's passport.

feetheart Tue 01-Apr-14 16:19:48

DH got his on Friday after 2 weeks. Used check and send for a renewal.

napoleonsnose Tue 01-Apr-14 16:28:22

DH got his last Tuesday after 3 weeks - was a renewal and we didn't check and send. Money was taken within a day of them receiving it though.

Check and send here all passports back in 16 days that was just last month into the beginning of this month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now