Should we make the 10 hour+ round trip to see the Grand Canyon?

(79 Posts)
TheScreamingHeebieJeebies Tue 11-Mar-14 15:50:52

DH and I have planned a California itinerary/loop in a hire car taking in the coast, San Francisco, Yosemite and Vegas, and hadn't factored in going to see the Grand Canyon, but everyone keeps telling us to go and see it! I don't want to do one of those day tours from Vegas when you pay $$$$$ to see it for an hour - I'd rather go properly and spend the night if we're going to do it at all. I guess we are not that drawn to see it as we didn't plan to in the first place - we mostly want to hike in Yosemite and see the coast - so am just wondering if you think we'll regret it!

Lagoonablue Tue 11-Mar-14 15:55:28

I would rather see the Grand Canyon rather than Las Vegas. Never been to either but LV looks horrible. It hasn't even got a kitschy, so bad it's good thing going on anymore. It's just bad.

OddFodd Tue 11-Mar-14 15:56:11

If you don't think there's a chance you'll be back that way again, I'd go. Very little stuns me into silence (blush) but the GC did. What we did was stay close by in a really small cheap motel and arrived very early in the morning as the sun was coming up - it was breathtaking.

TheScreamingHeebieJeebies Tue 11-Mar-14 16:04:57

We're only spending a night in Vegas out of convenience/curiosity - saving most of our time for Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, the coast and San Fran. Yes it looks kind of horrifying but the hotels look incredible grin We want to drive through the Mojave and Death Valley too. There's just quite a lot of driving already so we didn't want to add to it by going to the GC... But OddFodd that does sound wonderful smile

Lagoonablue Tue 11-Mar-14 16:07:48

That trip,sounds awesome btw......very jealous. DH is a big fan of westerns so you are going to places he would love to visit.

Lagoonablue Tue 11-Mar-14 16:08:45

Also I have a thing for Lake Tahoe as it features so much in the. Godfather films which I love. Big film fans me and. DH.

TheScreamingHeebieJeebies Tue 11-Mar-14 16:09:44

We've been planning it for years Lagoona and have never been on such an adventurous holiday before - am a tiny bit nervous, not sure why grin I do agree btw that the GC is a far preferable place to visit than Vegas - it's just not in the correct geographical location!

gretagrape Tue 11-Mar-14 16:12:18

The day we went there it was thick fog and we saw nothing! Have a look at Bryce Canyon NP and see if you have time to go there instead - we hiked down to the bottom and back in one day then went climbing in Zion NP the next day - both incredible and I'm not bothered about 'missing' GC.

Ragwort Tue 11-Mar-14 16:13:37

Yes, it is worth it; but make sure you have time to have at least a short hike down the canyon (not all the way down grin) - when we went we were very amused at the tour buses that stopped for 10 minutes, allowed people a 'quick look' and then drove on.

It really is the most fantastic place; but so is Yosemite, my all time favourite, hope you have a wonderful time envy

Ragwort Tue 11-Mar-14 16:14:27

Greta - that reminded me, we arrived in thick fog and I wondered what the fuss was all about, fortunately we were staying the night and woke up to the most amazing scenes. grin

OddFodd Tue 11-Mar-14 16:16:05

ps I rather like Vegas in a WTF sort of way - it's just utterly bizarre right in the middle of the desert!

Reiltin Tue 11-Mar-14 16:16:41

There are other canyons in the area that are worth a visit and may be closer. Either way, def worth it smile

TheScreamingHeebieJeebies Tue 11-Mar-14 16:20:39

Ooh greta Zion NP is only a 2.5 hour drive away, will look into that and other nearer canyons smile Thanks!

TheScreamingHeebieJeebies Tue 11-Mar-14 16:22:39

Ragwort do you have any particular Yosemite tips? Or is it all just lovely? We've sorted our accommodation in the valley and are just planning to following the most interesting looking trails - haven't worked out what those are yet... Am really looking forward to the drive into Yosemite via Tioga pass!

TheScreamingHeebieJeebies Tue 11-Mar-14 16:23:26

Ragwort that's exactly it, I don't want to go to the GC just to take a picture and say I've been there. I'd want to explore properly.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 11-Mar-14 16:26:01

<marks place shamelessly>
When are you there thescreaming?

TheScreamingHeebieJeebies Tue 11-Mar-14 16:29:46

End of May/beginning of June Ann.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 11-Mar-14 16:34:27

Ah - we are going in August (and I know it'll be hot!)
I am very much looking forward to Vegas but thinking about GC too... also doing Yosemite and Sequoia. Can't wait!

TryingToBePractical Tue 11-Mar-14 16:35:00

So I did a similar trip last year - Napa Valley - Yosemite - death Valley - LV - Utah - Grand Canyon - LA - coast to San Francsico with various stops - SF.

Ignoring LA/SF/Coast, in order I would say:-
Yosemite
Utah
Napa Valley/ Grand Canyon (cant decide)
LV
Death Valley

Death Valley was interesting/surreal but it was just too hot at the time of year we were there to really do anything. I am glad I have been to LV as I have always been a bit curious but would not be particularly interested in going back.

It was a really fantastic trip, and I am glad we went to the Grnad Canyon, but it was not that far from where we went in Utah. Admittedly we cheated a bit and did a couple of internal flights. I do not think I would go back to the Grand Canyon, whereas as I would go back to some of the other places (eg Yosemite), but i think that is more because it is kind of a one off experience rather than because I did not think it was fantastic.

TheScreamingHeebieJeebies Tue 11-Mar-14 16:36:38

Ooh, enjoy Ann. We hadn't even considered Sequoia. Gah, there's too much to do in that area!!!

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 11-Mar-14 16:38:17

Waaaayyy too much and I consider myself v lucky to be going.
150 days to go... (according to virgin atlantic site) grin

TheScreamingHeebieJeebies Tue 11-Mar-14 16:39:50

That sounds great Trying - we can't decide between doing Napa Valley and spending more time at the coast north of SF - my parents went to Napa valley and didn't like it that much so we were inclined not to go, but if you would put it equal with the GC maybe we are wrong!

TryingToBePractical Tue 11-Mar-14 17:15:53

We were there for 4 weeks or so (fortunate timing of DH having gardening leave between jobs over the school holidays and me having some accrued holiday to use up and an employer willing to let me take a bit of unpaid leave). Admittedly Napa Valley was our first stop so we splurged a bit on accomodation there which may have been partly why we liked it so much, plus quieter than the Grand Canyon.

Creamycoolerwithcream Tue 11-Mar-14 17:17:05

I always grab the opportunity when I have it rather than postpone thinking I'll go another day time and do it better. There may never be another time, what's 10 hours out of your life to see something so amazing?

TheScreamingHeebieJeebies Tue 11-Mar-14 17:20:01

Ah that would make sense Trying grin Wish we had 4 weeks, we only have 2.5, but still plenty of time to see lots of good stuff!

Creamy that's my general attitude to life too but we can't see everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now