3-4 night trip in Europe with 3 DC....where? Grateful for any tips!

(20 Posts)
sydenhamhiller Mon 10-Mar-14 21:15:57

We have 3 DC aged 10, 8 and 20 months. We were thinking of a proper 'holiday' fir a week in the Easter holidays, but have decided to be sensible (boo), and go away for a few nights instead, and probably drive rather than fly.

So, Holland/ Belgium/ France? We were thinking of Northern France, and maybe going to a WW1 battlefield (my great-grandfather died at the Battle of Ypres, and I have not been since I was 15). But where to stay, and what else to do?

I spent my teen years growing up in Eindhoven, the Netherlands, so part of me is drawn to NL. But am hoping the weather might be a smidgen better a bit further south...

Any experience/ suggestions? Am feeling uninspired - think it is DC3's teething and resulting sleep deprivation!

Thank you!

sydenhamhiller Tue 11-Mar-14 12:22:29

Shameless bump...

Creamycoolerwithcream Tue 11-Mar-14 12:42:02

How about Jersey, Gurnsey or the Isle of Wight?

noramum Tue 11-Mar-14 13:28:31

I spent a lot of time in my childhood in the region South Holland/Belgium border. I loved Zeeland as a child.

Trips we did was Bruges, Antwerp, Amsterdam. I loved it, even if the weather wasn't that good.

France - how about Brittany?

mrsnec Tue 11-Mar-14 14:13:06

I spent a lot of my childhood in France too, I. Didn't like much of it apart from Deauville in Normandy, you can do the bayeux tapestry from there, not sure how far it is from Ypres but it's a lovely town and has great beaches.

sydenhamhiller Tue 11-Mar-14 16:18:37

Ooooo. Do fancy Channel Islands, used to go for work in previous life. Am crossing fingers for fabulous April weather ...

Creamycoolerwithcream Tue 11-Mar-14 16:50:34

It could be a good option for a four day break.

EasterHoliday Tue 11-Mar-14 16:53:11

Jersey! beaches, ice cream, underground hospital "hewn from solid rock", Durrell orang utangs, ice cream, st Helier, ice cream...

PortofinoRevisited Tue 11-Mar-14 19:03:34

We were in Limburg at Easter 2 years ago and it was the hottest place in Europe at that time. Not what you expect from the Netherlands grin

ihatethecold Tue 11-Mar-14 19:05:47

Rome!

PortofinoRevisited Tue 11-Mar-14 19:07:01

We are going to CP De Kempervennen for 4 nights at Easter this year. Plenty to do indoors and out. Might be too close to Eindhoven for you though wink I think you would have to drive a LONG way to make a difference to the weather which would not be worth it/possible for a short trip - unless you fly.

sydenhamhiller Tue 11-Mar-14 19:07:45

Ahhhhh found memories of sitting out on Maastricht terrasjes with my classmates, getting sun burnt.

Do quite fancy Channel Islands though... Actually, really really want to go the Scilly Isles one day. DH not sold
On the idea at all though. Bah.

juneau Tue 11-Mar-14 19:08:51

We did a fab trip to Ypres and Bruges when DS1 was 2.5 years. Lots to do and see, WWI stuff for anyone who is interested, and Bruges was a great mixture of pretty, compact enough to walk around easily, boat trips, chocolate, child-friendly food, lovely old buildings/art/museums. Even better, it was only a couple of hours drive from the Eurotunnel.

sydenhamhiller Tue 11-Mar-14 19:10:35

Oh, I've just gone all nostalgic. Age 12 in the 80s our parents used to drop us at Kampervennen for the pool and go home! Imagine MN horror these days ;-).

Might be quite nice to inflict nostalgia tour on the DH and DC - my parents had moved on to China by the time we met, so DH dodged the Eindhoven tour...

beachyhead Tue 11-Mar-14 19:12:47

How about Mont St Michel? Quite spectacular for kids.

chicaguapa Tue 11-Mar-14 19:19:37

Paris? Might be pricey though for 5. Loads for DC there. We went to Bruges recently and DC (12 & 9) weren't enamoured. They loved Paris though.

Creamycoolerwithcream Tue 11-Mar-14 19:22:43

For how long are you prepared to travel?

PortofinoRevisited Tue 11-Mar-14 19:28:49

I love Maastricht. We are CP 14th April for 4 nights. You could come and get pissed say hello! There are a few other MN possibles.....

makemineapinot Sun 16-Mar-14 18:59:12

What about Duinrell ww.duinrell.com - very child (and adult!) friendly and only 40 mins approx from Hoek van Holland.

Mandy21 Wed 19-Mar-14 20:47:58

Another vote for Duinrell in Holland.

We have also stayed at Chateau Les Eaux near Granville, not farm from the DDay area, was brilliant too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now