London accommodation - any suggestions for a quick trip?

(48 Posts)
Sillybones Mon 10-Mar-14 09:29:26

Just that really - doing a few days (3 nights max) at the start of next month. Largely coming for the Harry Potter tour but also usual tourist attractions. Know my way around OK but usually only there for the day for work, or someone else books me if I'm staying for any longer.

Flights into City seem much more expensive, but then you save on the Gatwick/Heathrow Express I guess. Would like somewhere for 2 adults and two kids (one teenager, one under 10), so a standard Premier Inn room would be fine but they do seem to vary. I'm happy with it being basic, as long as it's clean.

Any suggestions? Also looked at apartments but they seem quite pricey given that we'll only be there to sleep.

Thank you smile.

NigellasDealer Mon 10-Mar-14 09:30:51

www.laterooms.com and search by price

Sillybones Mon 10-Mar-14 09:42:58

Yes, I've looked there thanks but the photos are often misleading as, obviously, they show their best, or ones from a while ago, or the lobby.

What I'd really hoped for was personal recommendations. Thank you for taking the time to reply though.

IamInvisible Mon 10-Mar-14 09:50:10

We stayed at the Premier Inn on Tower Bridge a couple of years ago. We chose that one because we could park and leave the car there. The room was clean and spacious, we had a 16&14 yo with us.

IIRC there is a Premier Inn next to the London Eye.

Was wondering what you meant exactly by the Harry Potter tour because if you are referring to their studio tour, the Warner Bros studio is located near Watford.

Sillybones Mon 10-Mar-14 11:53:29

Yes, that's the one Attila - we'd just get the coach out there one day but want to do other things for the rest of the trip. Have you been? I'm in two minds really - have heard mixed reviews.

IamInvisible - do you know what Premier Inn the London Eye one would be? Nothing's coming up as that so it must be under another part of the address but I know very little of London as always go to the same part for work.

Friends of ours have been and enjoyed the tour but DS is not into HP.
I'd have a look on tripadvisor and look at the photos posted there as well.

Premier Inn you were wondering about is this one:-

www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/LONCOU/london-county-hall?cmp=GLBC

Sillybones Mon 10-Mar-14 14:08:56

Thanks Attila - that's expensive for a Premier Inn isn't it? £355 for 3 nights - I'm used to £19 a night there grin.

I'm still in two minds - we've been to Universal so I'm a bit worried that the UK studio tour is going to be a bit of a let down compared to that, and no rides obviously, but he seems keen.

TheRedQueen Mon 10-Mar-14 14:16:02

We have stayed at PI County Hall a good seven or eight times and love it. The rooms are basic but in good condition and the hotel is brilliantly located right on the river alongside the Eye and great for getting around from, not least because of the bus stop in front of St Thomas' Hospital. Would highly recommend.

pancakesfortea Mon 10-Mar-14 14:19:16

HP tour was great but not that close to London.

According to my dad who has to come to London a lot, the cheapest deal at the moment is the new Travelodge at Vauxhall. Brand new and right on top of Vauxhall tube. Vauxhall itself is not that exciting but it is a short walk to the south bank. 83 quid a night, he said.

Blu Mon 10-Mar-14 14:25:12

It's Travelodges that are £19! (and not in London!).

You could stay in the Travelodge at Watford and then travel into London on the train for the day. It's only 15 mins into Euston. But I daresay the Watford Travelodge has very little charisma grin

I thought the Harry Potter studios were great. I am not into HP at all, but enjoyed it anyway and the boys I took (12 - 13) had a great time. The fascination is in the detail - they need to look for all the moving and magic things.

You can get the train from Euston, 15 mins, and an Oyster card is valid as far as Watford Junction. The £2 per person return ticket for the Harry Potter bus from right outside the station to the studios. Allow 3.5 hours in the Studios.

Check Travelodge, and Holiday Inn Express and Days Inn. Days Inn looks cheap!

Sillybones Mon 10-Mar-14 14:29:34

I don't need charisma, I just need cheap Blu!

I guess the Premier Inns are just pricey as it's London, as I've had Edinburgh, Glasgow, etc for £19 recently.

Thank you smile

Sillybones Mon 10-Mar-14 14:31:44

Looking at all the prices now, am wondering whether it's worth it - UK almost seems to be pricing itself out of holidays now which is a shame. I think it would cost almost £2k for a three night break - I admit I'm tight, but that seems a whopping amount.

Egusta Mon 10-Mar-14 14:31:45

I came on to say Premier Inn too. I really think they are good. Clean, very comfortable, the food is good too if on the off chance you use the restaurant. I now stay PI every time I am in London out of choice, as usually travelling for quick overnight ones for work etc.

Blu Mon 10-Mar-14 14:42:54

Where are you coming from?
It does sound a bit OTT.

Sillybones Mon 10-Mar-14 14:47:38

Scotland Blu.

Thought we might come on train as that would be a novelty but it's about £900 - can bring that down to half with flying though.

Sillybones Mon 10-Mar-14 14:53:06

Have just checked train again - it's £994 to get first train down and last train back; that is a lot isn't it?

Sillybones Mon 10-Mar-14 14:55:33

Looking at those rooms, I think we'll need two adjoining rooms rather than a family one as DS1 is bigger than me and can't really squash in! So, about £500 for Travelodge type accommodation. Day trip to HP studio and travel there, general travel around, food, even with doing free stuff the rest of the time (no theatre, no attractions with entrance fees), it's going to be about £2k I think.

CelticPromise Mon 10-Mar-14 14:56:21

What about flying to Luton? That's not far from Watford. I'd stay in Watford to save cash, if you are near Watford junction station trains are quick and frequent to Euston.

Sillybones Mon 10-Mar-14 14:57:01

Actually, those aren't the very first and last trains - if I want those, it's £1140! shock

CelticPromise Mon 10-Mar-14 14:57:39

Sleeper train to save on accommodation?

If in school holidays have a look at student accommodation?

Sillybones Mon 10-Mar-14 14:58:58

Think it'll be Disneyland Paris at this rate!

pancakesfortea Mon 10-Mar-14 15:16:57

Youth hostel? There are several YHA hostels in central London which have private rooms sleeping 4 for about 80 quid?

Sillybones Mon 10-Mar-14 15:23:23

Thanks everyone, but don't think I'm going to bother - I'm far too old for youth hostels!

k8jones Mon 10-Mar-14 15:28:14

We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment near Paddington (5 minutes from the station) cost £200 ish per night but really nice and clean
http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/central-london-zone-1/197177
Would def go back (our little girl is a noisy sleeper and we are not used to noise so this was perfect!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now