DD's EHIC card missing - she goes on German exchange on Weds

(8 Posts)
PuppyMonkey Sun 09-Mar-14 21:47:18

Argh. I've looked everywhere and can't find the card.

However I do have the original letter they sent with DD's number printed on it - we removed the actual card for a previous trip. Will that suffice?

ThreeAndDone Sun 09-Mar-14 21:49:26

I was able to print a temporary card when I was travelling to Germany and had lost my card so have a look into that.

PuppyMonkey Sun 09-Mar-14 21:50:47

Oh thanks. Do I just contact the EHIC number?

spekulatius Mon 10-Mar-14 15:10:43

You have to pay in cash or card anyway, then reclaim the money oncr back in the UK. uk are the ones tgat will beed the number.

PigletJohn Mon 10-Mar-14 15:21:15

order one online straight away, whatever happens. Perhaps it will arrive before she comes back.

It may help to tuck the new one inside the passport for next time

LIZS Mon 10-Mar-14 15:23:29

The number should be sufficient but schools can be fussy. We lost dd's , reordered hers (and mine as an adult ahs to be named on the application) only to find the original had slipped behind the shelf in the cupboard.

noramum Mon 10-Mar-14 16:43:53

Sorry, Spekulatius this is not correct.

I had to see a doctor in Germany last Summer thanks to an ear infection and they had to copy the card and my passport (which is German but shows that it was issued by the Embassy here in the UK). They then filled out a form from one of the state insurance companies and I needed to sign another form with my holiday details.

No cash was exchanged. I also didn't have to pay for the prescription.

OP - I would try to get private insurance for the girl, can't be more than a couple of quid for a short trip. Or if the trip is longer than a week you could send her the replacement card to her exchange family.

PuppyMonkey Mon 10-Mar-14 18:52:57

Thanks all. I rang EHIC and got international number for her to ring should anything happen and she'll simply have to give her National Insurance number (she's 17) and that should be all they need.

But we've ordered her new card so that should come within a few days. Insurance etc was covered in cost of trip, all organised by college.

So think she should be ok - and hopefully this is all academic and she won't need a card because she won't get ill.fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now