How do I transport a car seat?

(20 Posts)
NickNacks Sun 09-Mar-14 13:01:41

We're going to take our high back booster and a booster cushion to Florida.

Can anyone who has transported car seats before please tell me how they wrapped and labelled them. Strong black bags enough? Thank you.

Cookiepants Sun 09-Mar-14 13:04:50

Watching with interest as miniCookie's first international trip is coming up grin

NickNacks Sun 09-Mar-14 13:15:47

Oh good :-) We can blindly sort this out together. Where are you off to?

NickNacks Sun 09-Mar-14 13:19:45

That looks great ilove

I'll read the reviews but the price is amazing!

Artandco Sun 09-Mar-14 13:26:32

We just check in with suitcases. You need to do the straps up if you have any and tighten so don't get caught. They just put a label on it the same as a suitcase then you take to oversized luggage and they take there.

Never had a problem and have taken out baby seats then harnessed seats like this. Never taken isofix one although but that's only as they are unlikely to fit the other end

I think you can't use your uk seats in the us or Australia though as they have different regulations. So if your going to Florida I would just hire on arrival with car hire company

NickNacks Sun 09-Mar-14 13:59:03

Yes I'm going to check it in with the suitcases but just wanted it in something, making it easier to carry for a start.

The information I have read doesn't suggest we're unable to use our own seats, do you have a link to confirm otherwise. I'd rather not hire as I don't know the histoy of those seats.

Artandco Sun 09-Mar-14 15:42:21

Sorry no link

What we do with the harnessed high backs is pull the straps through back to carry as then can carry over shoulder with strap if that makes sense. Can you sew/ stick a strap to the back of your high back boosters? That would be find as not used as an actually strap in car.

beanandspud Tue 11-Mar-14 20:10:29

We have a bag similar to the Kiddicare one. It helps to protect the seat if you pad it with beach towels to save taking up valuable room in the cases wink

magentastardust Tue 11-Mar-14 20:26:05

We use black bags with a label inside and stuck on with our, flight number ,name etc. (classy!)

Poppy67 Sat 15-Mar-14 07:54:11

If you're kids are over 3 you don't need car seats. But the airline usually puts them in a big clear sack.

why would you not need a careseat over the age of 3??

carseat!

NormHonal Sat 15-Mar-14 08:14:33

What about one of these Trunki Boostapaks for your older child?

We bought one for our DC1 and it's been very useful - and the current Amazon price is good.

Artandco Sat 15-Mar-14 08:17:12

Poppy- they need car seats until 11 years or above a certain height

Kaffiene Sat 15-Mar-14 08:22:10

We have the Kiddicare bag, it's massive! We pad the seat out with nappies and towels for protection. We also have the trunki car seat which is also brilliant (it was cheaper from Halfords online when we got it) again brilliant. A good tip with the Trunki is to get your kids to put their stuff in a drawstring bag inside the Trunki otherwise they will alsways want things from the Trunki when they are sitting on it!

So much easier to take your own if you travel frequently - no hanging around at car hire places while they sort the right seats/ find a less grubby or broken one.

NickNacks Sat 15-Mar-14 10:45:34

I've ordered the Kiddicare bag. It's a fab price and good to know it's very big so we can pack a bit more stuff in it.

I agree - why not use a car seat above the age of 3??

The trunki seat looks lovely but I'm not forking out £35 when I already have a booster seat and a backpack for him. He's 7 so doesn't need it on the plane or anything.

Poppy67 Sun 16-Mar-14 07:30:46

Check out the rules for car seats in USA. Florida doesn't require them after 3. I pointed it out in case the op has a 10 year old perhaps so wouldn't need one. Little kids still need one regardless.

NickNacks Sun 16-Mar-14 09:43:54

Thank you, yes I have looked at the Florida car seats laws.

I do have a ten year old and he is 4'10" so no car seat needed. 7 yr old is quite small and seat belt will not cut across his body at the right point so since I use one here, I will take it with us there too.

GoldieMumbles Sun 23-Mar-14 09:58:07

It depends on the airline but I've checked in carseats multiple times alone - i.e. not wrapped in anything or packed inside anything. I've done it from Toulouse to London and from Toulouse to both Miami and Atlanta - and return. They simply put a luggage tag onto the seat itself and it goes as 'outsized baggage' in a separate cargo hold on the plae. I guess I've done this about 8 or 9 times and, touch wood, never had any damage to the seats. they tend to be treated with a lot more care by the airlines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now