Holiday in sun with toddler - packing must-have's?!

(16 Posts)
Thatsnotmyfigure Sat 08-Mar-14 11:52:45

Hi! Off to the sun with very active 18 month old. Any bright ideas for alleviating boredom on flights ( 5 hours) or keeping him happy by the pool? Am planning to take lots of snacks and little toys/ books for the plane but I know he'll just want to run up and down and am a bit nervous re hot drinks onboard. Plus it's easyjet so not that much room.Any ideas appreciated!

Rosa Sat 08-Mar-14 11:56:42

I Pad / cartoons / stickers/ make him run up and down the departure lounge - find a empty gate area or a quiet spot and make him run !! Hence hopefully he will fall asleep. Have a change of clothes for both of you .

Happy by the pool - presume there is a childrens area or shallow pool. Bucket and pouring cups ( empty yogurt pots with holes in the bottom). watering can. Mine sat for hours pouring - have wide brimmed sun hat and dont forget the sun cream... Have a great time !

Looby12 Sat 08-Mar-14 12:23:09

At that age dd was similar, she enjoyed pouring water in and out of buckets etc. we got her one of those mini dingy boat things and filled it with water so she sat in that next to our sun loungers playing in it for hours. It saved us from having to constantly be in the pool.

Agree on getting a sun hat, ones with a neck cover are good.

specialsubject Sat 08-Mar-14 13:28:13

sunsuits plus factor 'nuclear blast proof' suncream. And the aforementioned hat.

BikeRunSki Sat 08-Mar-14 13:30:14

Uv sun suit!

noramum Sat 08-Mar-14 13:42:24

I second UV suit and a sun hat with long neck. Also lots of T-shirts and shorts, loose cut and plenty of suncream. DD loved wearing her sunglasses as well. We had a pair of Baby Banz

www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Banz-Sunglasses-Pink-Gingham/dp/B00272N9QG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394285927&sr=8-3&keywords=baby%27s+sunglasses

For the plane - please avoid anything noisy. Not only will your fellow passenger thank you, you will be glad as well. DD loved the emergency procedure card and the inflight magazine. Then a magazine, sticker books, pad and pens. We also got a new book.

Get another set for the flight back.

Thatsnotmyfigure Sat 08-Mar-14 13:52:54

Great ideas thank you! Have got the UV suit and hat and planning on sunglasses - plane ideas are great thanks!!

BikeRunSki Sat 08-Mar-14 13:57:22

Crocs - easy on/ off, waterproof, protects from hot floors. Lots of sun hats.

SteamboatSprings Sat 08-Mar-14 14:08:11

Polyotter swim vest so that he can 'swim' in the pool with you. Great for building confidence and as he gets older you can remove the inner flotation bricks one by one until he's swimming unaided.

CwtchesAndCuddles Sat 08-Mar-14 19:33:00

A small cheap paddling pool was something I always found very handy. DD used to play in it by sunbeds / in shade / on balcony and in hotel room we used it with or without water. A blow up beach ball is handy too. A set of stacking cups can be used for all sorts of things!

k8jones Mon 10-Mar-14 15:34:47

For the plane I recommend making up a small bag (we have a small cath kidson one) and our 13 month old little girl loves taking things out. she has her own wallet, plastic keys and phone plus other things to play with. She loves it.

For the pool i second the cups and stuff. We have bought armbands as we have a private pool with no guard in May when away (very nervous and paranoid so will be keeping her very close). Any other suggestions would be great!

BuzzardBird Mon 10-Mar-14 15:40:18

The best money we ever spent was a dvd player for use on planes and in restaurant at night when it was getting a little late. Take comfy headphones. We have not bought a cheap android tablet and have downloaded films and cartoons onto that. Colour Wonder by Crayola sets are also great as the pens are chunky and they can't get ink everywhere.

BuzzardBird Mon 10-Mar-14 15:40:42

now not not

Thatsnotmyfigure Tue 18-Mar-14 14:39:15

Great ideas! have just bought Aqua Doodle mini mats and they look great for the plane and restaurants and we're taking the paddling pool too!!

Thatsnotmyfigure Wed 19-Mar-14 21:55:17

Ah yes the baby banz were a good tip too - thanks everyone!! Hope the ideas will come in useful for others too!

alseb Sat 22-Mar-14 21:32:20

A very thin, light piece of material to cover his legs if he falls asleep in his pushchair during the day to protect from the sun if you are out and about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now