Child free in NYC! Recommendations please

(9 Posts)
MooMinCow Fri 07-Mar-14 23:56:17

DH is taking me to NYC mid May for my 40th (flights all booked) It will be our first child free holiday in over 10 years!

I've searched the threads but they seem quite a few years old, so wanted some hotel recommendations (budget $300 a night max, romantic, near shopping/nightlife).

I've been to New York before so have done all the main touristy things, DH hasn't (but he's not particularly fussed about sightseeing), so would just like to eat and drink well, shop and just enjoy each others company and the luxury of pleasing ourselves for a change smile

Please point me in the right direction - have spent hours looking at hotel websites and am none the wiser (too much choice!).

And any recs on bars/restaurants/places to go would be much appreciated too.

lottysmum Sat 08-Mar-14 20:19:44

Not easy...I stayed in NY with my daughter and we stayed in a number of places (long story)...our favorite was the Yotel....I thought it was well placed and well priced and fun ....the beds are movable ...so you can sit up or lie down ...and its a very modern hotel...the higher the floor the better and you will get an amazing view ....Its location is within walking distance of Times Square but I would say not an ideal area ...but the hotel made up for this with many extra's.... I am sure there are allot better hotels in terms of Romance but this was fun and different!

Eating out ...why not have dinner in the restaurant on Central Park...or Lunch ....really nice ...I cant add anymore because I was with my daughter

MillyMollyMama Sun 09-Mar-14 16:26:54

Hotels: The Mercer at Gramercy. Anything new in the Soho or Meatpacking areas. The one operated by Kit Kemp and Firmdale Hotels (forget the name but in SoHo I think). Times Square is a bit naf.

Go to Central Park, Any department store except Macy's, Tiffany's New York, The Highline, MoMa, Top of the Rock, Staten Island Ferry, Ellis Island, look at the Chrysler Building, Central Station ceiling and oyster bar, walk down 5th Avenue, visit Greenwich village, see the Flatiron Building. Buy a good tourist book and map. Be prepared to walk. Yellow taxis not very expensive for Ferry terminal. Have a great time.

Budgiegirlbob Sun 09-Mar-14 17:06:44

For breakfast on my 40th, we went to the Palm Court at The Plaza, it was lovely, and although expensive for breakfast, the Continental Buffet was good at $35 a head, lovely food and tea coffee and juice all included. (Champagne was a bit more though!!). Great way to start a special day.

MooMinCow Sun 09-Mar-14 19:38:29

Thanks all. We've booked Hotel Chandler as fancied a boutique style smaller hotel and got a good deal.

Thanks for the brunch recommendation. Any other restaurants we should try? DH will probably want to go to Little Italy

LyndaCartersBigPants Sun 09-Mar-14 20:26:10

Have a fab time! We went to an amazing steak restaurant called Keen's. Also another one called Smith and Wollensky whose steak was also fabulous but a bit mature for my taste.

Both amazing.

LyndaCartersBigPants Sun 09-Mar-14 20:26:44

Hotel Chandler looks great too, it was on our short list.

Newhere2 Wed 12-Mar-14 19:43:58

we just did a similar thing and stayed at [http://www.mrandmrssmith.com/luxury-hotels/the-roger the roger]] we really liked it. Its a small hotel sort of in the centre near the empire state building. Was perfect for us to get around to everything.

We had lots of good food and shopping too.

enjoy

Newhere2 Wed 12-Mar-14 19:44:58

with correct link I hope .....
the roger

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now