Papadakis Village, Crete, Greece. Anyone?

(8 Posts)
AfroditeJones Thu 06-Mar-14 11:40:29

PIL (I know, we get along fine) booked a week family holiday there for August.
Hit me with your opinions and reviews.
And tips.
How much £££ spending money should I take for Dh, Dd(7) and myself?
TIA.

AfroditeJones Fri 07-Mar-14 11:00:36

Guess no MNetter ever been there ;(

AfroditeJones Fri 07-Mar-14 13:38:19

bump

cantbelievemyeyes Sat 08-Mar-14 23:18:19

Do you mean Papadakis Villas in Hersonissos? There's a Papadakis Apartments in a different part of Crete too.

If so they're between Hersonissos and 3 small villages up the mountain- Koutouloufari, Piskopiano and Old Hersonisson. I've stayed in Piskopiano quite a few times and love it. Those 3 villages are lovely and relaxed with lots of great places to eat and some lovely bars. Hersonissos I'm not keen on to be honest, I prefer the smaller villages. Def visit those 3 places I've mentioned for a meal, they're a bit of a steep walk up the hill or a few euros in a taxi.

In Old Hersonissos there's a Greek night in the village square surrounded by restaurants- lots of music & dancing, very busy (might be a Monday) but worth a look. I like David's (David Vegera) in Piskopiano for Meze. There's a cute little Dutch place in Koutouloufari that does lovely cakes and waffles which is nice for a snack.

When we go (self catering) we generally take around £550ish spending money for 2 adults. We don't really go out for breakfast but buy fresh bread, pastries, yogurt etc and eat in the apartment. We'll also eat lunch in the room maybe half the week- pasta, meat, cheese, salad etc. Eat out every night, restaurants we generally spend 35-40 euros for 2 courses with wine- meze usually a fair bit cheaper at 25-30 euros with wine. Don't think it's much different price wise in Hersonissos.

Hope this helps- am just looking at booking to go there again in September!

AfroditeJones Sun 09-Mar-14 16:07:44

Thanks you are right.
We are Going Here

MIL chose and booked, and we have never been nor has she, so I am not sure what to expect and how much cash to take.

Also, is the weather really really hot in August?

cantbelievemyeyes Tue 11-Mar-14 21:25:10

Yes, it's the one I was thinking of. I've passed it several times and it looks fine, reviews are decent on the whole- typical Greek self catering, generally basic but clean. Not sure how much there is to occupy your DD hotel wise but it's probably 10 mins or so to the beach, there's an aquarium and waterparks nearby. I would definitely go up into the villages I mentioned to eat out, they're really nice.

I've not been in August- we only usually go away at the beginning and end of season so it's varied- but it will be hot in August. We've been at the end of September/ beginning of October at 2 times out of 3 it was 28-30 degrees most days.

It's hard to say how much money you'll need as our figures don't include car hire, days out, entry fees to any attractions etc but do include quite a bit of alcohol. As I say max £300 each for us as 2 adults without kids. There are cash machines in Hersonissos of course if you run short.

AfroditeJones Tue 11-Mar-14 22:48:02

Thanks
And how about chargers for eletronic devices? Do we need adaptators?

cantbelievemyeyes Wed 12-Mar-14 23:44:21

Yep, you just need some bog standard travel adaptors as they're all 2-pin sockets there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now