Belgium for a summer holiday?

(10 Posts)
codandchipstwice Wed 26-Feb-14 12:39:10

Hello

We have the offer of a house in S of France but I am all week and feeble over the prospect of the journey - we did it last year but it works out costing so much that I can find lovely houses with pools in Belgium for the same amount of money.

We spent Christmas in Belgium too (near Ardennes) but that's as there were lots of us and thus things to do didn't matter.

Is Belgium good for family holidays (it seemed quite expensive once we're there for food etc) and is the weather likely to be any better than the UK?

Thanks for any comments

Cod

LauxSx Wed 26-Feb-14 14:44:14

I did a 10 day trip last summer and found it pretty similar to English prices for food&drink. Activities are much cheaper as they put a lot of government funding into subsiding museums, galleries and transport for children and concessions.

The weather was lovely for us - very similar to a good day in British summer, but more consistent. It was quite a bit warmer in Belgium than England for our whole trip (I checked!).

PortofinoRevisited Thu 27-Feb-14 08:50:45

Food is definitely more expensive than the UK. But as Laux says - activities can be cheap. The summer is generally nice - a little bit warmer than UK. Which bit of Belgium are you thinking of? I live there so may be able to give some more ideas on what there is to do.

codandchipstwice Thu 27-Feb-14 16:09:27

aww bless, thank you, were hoping to be in Luxembourg province, nearish to spa.

many thanks

PortofinoRevisited Thu 27-Feb-14 19:19:14

That is probably the bit I know least about :0 Monschau is gorgeous and def worth a trip. Maastricht is very good for shopping and cafe terrace life. Durbuy is nice - there are some caves to visit near there, will find a link. The grottes de Hans sur Lesse are fabulous - you go up to them on a little steam train, and there is a wildlife park there too. Plopsa Coo theme park. Francochamps circuit of course.

codandchipstwice Sat 01-Mar-14 08:20:31

Thank you, some great ideas. Sorry to be annoying but it now looks like we'll be much nearer to France, place called Mettet near Dinant. is that area nice and presumably French speaking?

Thanks again

cod smile

PortofinoRevisited Sat 01-Mar-14 11:48:19

Yes - it is French speaking. Dinant itself is lovely - you can do boat trips on the river and there is a cable car up to the Citadel. Namur is worth a visit. Very good castle with great views and lots of places to picnic and walks and dungeons etc There is a little tourist train that goes round too. The grottes in Hans Sur Lesse that I mentioned above would not be too far, nor Rochefort. Lac de l'eau d'heure has all sorts of activities.

codandchipstwice Sat 01-Mar-14 12:28:55

Thank you so much,you've been really helpful and helped swing it for us grin

thepiggotupandslowlywalkedaway Mon 03-Mar-14 20:21:17

We went to the Ardennes region last spring and really enjoyed it. If you don't mind driving for a while, Bouillon Castle is great fun to explore as well - its a proper rabbit warren complete with dungeons and spooky tunnels and a short show of birds of prey included. We weren't so taken with Dinant, but found Namur more interesting, although Dinant does have a bridge with dozens of giant saxophones on - always a bonus!

rosy71 Sun 09-Mar-14 08:45:11

we went to Belgium for a summer holiday a few years back and really enjoyed it. I don't know where you'll be staying but we stayed on the coast. Weather was nice. We spent a day in Bruges and visited the Plopsaland theme park. I'd definitely go again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now