Would you go to Kerala on your own?

(9 Posts)
Celeriacacaca Sun 23-Feb-14 17:03:53

I have the opportunity to go to Kerala and, while I'd love to go to India, I would be travelling on my own. Being on my own doesn't bother me but just would like to hear any other experiences in terms of safety, must see places etc please. TIA.

longtallsally2 Sun 23-Feb-14 17:08:03

I went on my own to Tamil Nadu and Kerela 30 years ago <feeling old emoticon> so my advice might be rather out of date.

Marking my place to see what others say - and to revel in some fantastic memories smile

MillyMollyMama Sun 23-Feb-14 18:09:05

I am writing this from the Kumarakom Lake Resort in Kerala. Right now!

This is a pretty good hotel but, frankly, what would you do here apart from eat and visit the backwaters? Maybe spend time on a houseboat - but on your own? Cochin is also great for a couple of days but everyone we have met is in and out fairly quickly. It is safe, but travelling on public transport is virtually impossible and horrible as the buses are overcrowded and filthy. We have not seen a single train here but the above comments probably apply. Everyone we have met is doing Kerala as part of a wider tour. No-one is leaving this resort to have a look around, other than by boat, where you can see the lake and a small section of backwater.

We also stopped off at Alleppy, the so called Venice of India. As with much of India, any vision of Venice is way off the mark. It is full of overgrown canals clogged up with plastic bottles and water hyacinth, much of it looking dead.

If you have somewhere to stay in Kerala, and you are getting a freebie, then get a driver and a car and you can see Cochin, with the outstanding Mattancherri Palace, Thiruvananthapuram with its fort and temples and Alleppy but I would not spend the airfare from my own money just to see Kerala. It is best for a bit of rest and relaxation but compared to the best sights in India, it is not that good.

Not sure. I went to Goa with my mum and as 2 women travelling on our own we were hassled a lot. I'm not sure how Goa compares to Kerala

longtallsally2 Mon 24-Feb-14 08:42:57

MMM, that rather ties in with my memories of Kerela too. I was backpacking in Southern India and had a wonderful time exploring Chennai/Madras, Madurai, Mahabalipuram, Ooty, Kodaikanal, and the Cape in Tamil Nadu, then travelled over to Kerela to explore. I stayed three days or so in the Cochin area, felt I had seen it, and then caught a bus back over the mountains to Tamil Nadu again, stopping off at a wildlife sanctuary (Mudumalai?) on the way back.

Tamil Nadu was very unspoilt - it is off the main tourist trails, so would have a very, very different atmosphere to Goa. Train and bus links are fantastic, and Bangalore and Mysore are within easy reach if you wanted to explore further.

So as a stopping off point to explore a bit further afield in Southern India, Kerela might be a good landing point . . .

HTH

dontyouknow Sat 01-Mar-14 15:00:35

I went on my own about 20 years ago as part of a long trip round India. I quite liked the Allepy boat trip, but maybe the canals have a lot more rubbish in them now.

I really enjoyed Kovalam beach for a few days. At the time it was full of basic guest houses. I have seen package tours there so seems it is much more developed now.

I liked it but don't think I'd go to India and just go there. I agree that it is better as part of a larger trip.

NannyPhlegm Tue 06-May-14 13:15:47

I went to Kumarakom in Kerala for my honeymoon back in 2005. The wedding itself was in Mumbai, and after 3 very crazy weeks, we loved Kerala as it was so calm and quiet. However, I agree with MillyMollyMama that I would not fly all the way to India to just do Kerala and nothing else. Tamil Nadu has way more to see and experience, and is very welcoming to tourists. It is completely safe, even for women travelling alone.

Or how about Mumbai which is completely over-the-top crazy (in a good way) with a stopover at Goa where you can relax and indulge in some desi cocktails? Win-win smile

SoWhatNowThen Tue 06-May-14 13:17:59

As a woman, I would not go to India on my own. Sorry. Too risky. Google rapes/attacks on lone female travelers in India, and see if anything more than just the recent news come up.

SaltySeaBird Sat 10-May-14 23:18:35

I'd go. I've been to Kerala, was there just under two years ago and loved it. I wasn't travelling alone (was with DH) but had a great time. We travelled around, used a mix of public transport and drivers.

Yes, some areas are full of litter and you get a bit of hassle, other places are stunningly beautiful. On the whole we found everyone amazingly hospitable.

I'd travel back there by myself with no hesitation. I would take certain safety precautions (but would anywhere).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now