Somewhere reasonably priced (ie cheap) for lunch around Covent Garden.

(21 Posts)
Tiredemma Mon 17-Feb-14 14:05:59

We are going to London on Weds to see Matilda (matinee) show. We arrive into euston at 1130- have a wander around for an hour and then plan to have lunch before we watch the show.
Limited budget as I am on Maternity Leave and its the middle of the month!
Any decent restaurants around there that wont break the bank - the children are 10 and 8.

Thanks

VivaLeBeaver Mon 17-Feb-14 14:07:04

There's a Bella Italia round the corner from the main plaza.

HabitualLurker Mon 17-Feb-14 14:11:39

I always used to go to Bistro 1 on southampton street (there are also other branches near by in the west end). Not entirely sure of their hours - have only been in the evenings - but they do a very reasoably priced set meal. not a children's place as such, but always looked reasonably kid-friendly. bistro1.co.uk/

BiscuitsandBaileys Mon 17-Feb-14 14:11:46

I'll watch with interest as we are going to see Charlie and the chocolate factory tomorrow :-)
We saw Matilda last year and loved, loved, loved it!

MrsSquirrel Mon 17-Feb-14 14:20:25

Gaby's Deli, 30 Charing Cross Road, next to Leicester Square tube station

bakingaddict Mon 17-Feb-14 14:24:43

Do you and the kids like Chinese food?

If so go to Chinatown and in particular the restaurant The New World. You can get dim sum trolley service. Lots of woman push trolleys of dumplings around the restaurant. You just pick the ones you like the look of. It's great fun for kids

Inukshuk Mon 17-Feb-14 14:30:25

Leon! There's one by Oxford circus and one on the atrand. Healthy but tasty. There are meatballs and baked fries so should keep the kids happy. Pkus you can pick up brownies for interval treats instead of overpriced jelly babies. Their website should show the menu. The strand is bigger than ox circus so better if you want to stay there for a little while.

Tiredemma Mon 17-Feb-14 14:30:55

oohhhh thanks- will have a look at your recommendations now!

fyefoot Mon 17-Feb-14 14:35:49

Bills bills-website.co.uk/restaurants/london-covent-garden/ is nice or Wahaca www.wahaca.co.uk/ also really yummy and good kids food at both.

CrispyCrochet Mon 17-Feb-14 14:35:50

There is a new American burger chain called Five Guys. I've never been to the one in Covent Garden but in the US it is like $5 for a gorgeous burger and huge portion of chips (greasy though mind!)

OrganisedMayhem Mon 17-Feb-14 14:36:59

I second bistro 1 - cheap and cheerful but lovely food!

specialsubject Mon 17-Feb-14 14:41:47

there's a Tesco metro on Long Acre. Buy the sarnies and drinks and picnic in Covent Garden or Leicester square!

legalalien Mon 17-Feb-14 15:42:29

Strada? http://www.strada.co.uk/menus/covent-garden/kids-menu

Not the cheapest but you can get vouchers http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-restaurant-deals that would get you 2 for 1 on main courses. Worth looking at all the deals on this site as a lot of the chains have restaurants near covent garden.

TinyTear Mon 17-Feb-14 15:44:16

Nando's?

CocktailQueen Mon 17-Feb-14 15:44:21

There's a Jamie Oliver's by covent garden which is v reasonable and gas a great kids menu.

Plumpcious Mon 17-Feb-14 15:50:06

Third recommendation for Bistro 1!

Or Wagamama? They do child-sized portions of some of their dishes.

I also like Wahaca (as mentioned above) although I haven't been to that branch.

legalalien Mon 17-Feb-14 15:57:04

Or fire and stone have some good lunch deals, however you'd have to risk your children wanting the cinnamon coated dough strips with nutella or toffee dip.....

fireandstone.com/restaurants/covent-garden

momb Mon 17-Feb-14 16:00:53

Another vote for dim sum in Chinatown: my Dcs love it!

exexpat Mon 17-Feb-14 16:02:59

There are quite a few basic Chinese/Asian buffet places around the West End/Soho/Chinatown - pay a fixed price (reduced for children) and help yourself. If your children happen to like noodles, spring rolls etc it might work well for you.

fizzly Tue 18-Feb-14 22:34:40

Pizza express on the Strand? Otherwise sandwiches eaten while watching street performers in the Garden. Have a lovely day. Am v jealous of your trip to see Matilda!

Rosso Pomodoro is excellent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now