Need somewhere warm for May half term, any ideas, not Egypt.

(27 Posts)
ihatethecold Wed 05-Feb-14 17:22:13

Ideally hot enough so the kids can swim in a pool without freezing.
I looked at Bahia Príncipe in Tenerife but there is no places left.
Europe, I don't think will be warm enough.
We really don't want to go to Egypt.
We only have a week so Florida is out also!

Where to go?

Felix90 Wed 05-Feb-14 17:22:56

Canary Islands?

specialsubject Wed 05-Feb-14 19:54:49

get a cheapie to Europe and buy some wetsuits in Tesco.

EasterHoliday Wed 05-Feb-14 19:55:58

dubai / Oman / qatar

porkincider Wed 05-Feb-14 19:55:59

Cyprus is pretty warm in May

LtEveDallas Wed 05-Feb-14 20:02:14

Tunisia. Short flight now the new airport is open too.

Cyprus, Furteventura, lanzarote, Morocco

WhoNickedMyName Wed 05-Feb-14 20:03:03

Morocco or Tunisia are both lovely in May.

Viviennemary Wed 05-Feb-14 20:05:50

Malta would be quite warm I think. We went years ago but in midsummer. It was scorching.

absolutelygutted Wed 05-Feb-14 20:08:35

we found UAE too hot in May half term. Easter is lovely though as is October.

ihatethecold Wed 05-Feb-14 20:19:28

Looked at Dubai .it was surprisingly affordable but I think prob too hot.
What's futerventura like? I know I've spelt it wrong!

I thought Cyprus wasn't quite warm enough by the end of May.
Does it make a difference which part of Cyprus I looked at?

givemeaclue Wed 05-Feb-14 22:08:33

Turkey

wannabestressfree Wed 05-Feb-14 22:13:55

Gran canaria is nice smile

HarrogateMum Wed 05-Feb-14 22:15:04

We go to Marbella every May half term and it's always great, have my bikini on every year!

LtEveDallas Wed 05-Feb-14 22:15:09

Fuertaventura (I can't spell it either) is nice but windy. We went in Apr but it was still hot, although the pools weren't - maybe look for a hotel that says heated pool.

Marrakech was hot in June, lovely and hot. No beach/sea but lots to do.

In Cyprus the waterparks open in May, so plenty warm enough. I prefer Paphos, but Limassol is nice too. The better hotels heat the pools out of season, but I think May starts the season IYSWIM. My fave hotel in Paphos is Louis Phaethon, in Limassol I'd look at St Raphael's or the Atlantica Oasis.

thenightsky Wed 05-Feb-14 22:19:25

We always used to go to a lovely campsite just north of Barcelona - Cypsela I think it was called. There may have been the odd rainy day, but the kids were never cold and were in the pool by 9.30am most days. Average temps were around 26c

winklewoman Wed 05-Feb-14 22:49:54

We have had two very warm trips to Corfu in the last week in May, Louis Grand Glyfada beach, and any amount to Zakynthos where we stay in some lovely beach studios on a virtually private beach, run by a delightful family but off the beaten track so you need a car. Greece should be fine.

ihatethecold Thu 06-Feb-14 06:25:12

Thanks. Some great sounding places to have a look at.
The hotels in Cyprus and Greece mentioned. Do they have heated pools?

winklewoman Thu 06-Feb-14 07:54:55

The hotel we stayed at in Corfu had a main pool which was certainly warm enough to swim in, but on our second visit in 2013, we booked a 'swim-up' room which was lovely. The long, fairly narrow pool ran along in front of 16 or so ground floor rooms and could only be used by them. The rooms were huge, some were family rooms with a dividing sliding screen and all had a decked area outside with loungers and access to the pool. We loved it, quiet and warm, ideal for children, and I can assure you I do not swim in chilly pools.

ihatethecold Thu 06-Feb-14 09:38:26

Thanks winkle, do you remember the name of the place with swim up pools?

winklewoman Thu 06-Feb-14 10:09:45

Yes, ihate, it is the Louis Grand in Corfu. www.louishotels.com/en/our-hotels-in-cyprus-and-greece/hotels-in-greece/louis-grand-hotel
Theoretically that should ultimately get you to the family swim-up rooms. There are several Louis hotels on Corfu, the one on Glyfada Beach us the one in question. It is fairly remote, which we like, but not for everyone. There is a kids' entertainment team, but we had no kids with us so can't realky comment, but they seened pretty active. The food was excellent, it is all-inclusive , again, not for everyone but it suited us.

ihatethecold Thu 06-Feb-14 10:18:49

Thanks for that winkle.
I've just bitten the bullet and booked Louis pantheon in Cyprus, during May half term.
Got a good price of 2.5K for 3 adults and 1 child all inclusive.
I've never been on an all inclusive holiday before.

My DH is asleep after his night shift, not sure what he is going to think when he gets up later!

LtEveDallas Thu 06-Feb-14 10:54:28

Ohh Ihate, that used to be my fave hotel when we lived in Cyprus.

Hmm, what can I tell you?

The rooms aren't huge, but will have just enough space for the 4 of you. I'd take some extra coathangers. The ground floor garden rooms (maybe renamed family rooms now) were a really good size and had large patios which were great. They were directly opposite a pirate ship climbing frame for the young ones.

The Animation Team, headed by Dido were fab. Bobbi used to be a lifeguard and he helped me teach my DD to swim. Lots of 'club' dances and fun around the poolside. The shows in the evening were good quality and well received.

The food was excellent quality, one of the best I had experienced at an AI. It consistently gets good reviews.

The hotel itself is further out of town but there is a bus stop right outside - used to be 1 Euro to the harbour.

The beach isn't great, but if you go 200 yards to the left of the hotel it is better. There is a great beach in Limassol called Lady's Mile if you want a day out.

Waterpark across the green is fab, the one in Fasouri (Limassol) is better. Hotel has its own small waterpark and lots of sun loungers.

Car hire through the hotel is competitive, but you will probably get a better deal through an online company before you get there.

Hope that's enough for now. If you have any questions, just ask smile

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 06-Feb-14 11:32:37

Turkey is beautiful at the end of May, the weather is hot but not over bearing and the pools and sea will all be warm by that time.

It is very family friendly there too smile

ihatethecold Thu 06-Feb-14 12:10:38

Do you think we really need a car Dallas?

My kids are 10 and 14 so they just want to swim, they won't do any kids clubs.
Do you know if there is a bus to the big waterpark?

LtEveDallas Thu 06-Feb-14 13:12:39

No you don't have to have a car ihate, I just didn't know if you wanted to travel around the island or not. You could walk to the waterpark that is across the road from the hotel, a longish walk but fine for adults/teens. It's a perfectly safe area so you could even let the kids go on their own.

The hotel waterpark is only a couple of slides and a splash park, but still good fun.

The animation team do a lot of daft games/waterpolo etc in the pool and the kids would enjoy that, plus stuff like quoits, archery, rifle, football and volleyball.

I love the Phaethon and miss it. We may well go back this summer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now