Centreparcs in Europe - any recommendations?

(19 Posts)
octaviarose Tue 04-Feb-14 19:39:19

We have been to Elveden and enjoyed it but are now considering CP in Europe or equivalent. Would appreciate any good suggestions. Thank you.

bruffin Tue 04-Feb-14 19:55:13

We have been to quite a few of them. It depends what you want and the age of your children. Kempervennen was brilliant for my teens a couple of years ago as they loved the watersports. We have also been to De Eemhoff, Erperheide, De Huttenheugte, Het Heidjebos, Het Meerdal.
There are other companies like Landal which are supposed to be cheaper, but they have very poor facilities compared to CP and some of their parcs are old CP that were sold off when they needed updating.
Duinrell is another alternative, which has a lovely theme park and water park on site, but the cottages etc arent as good quality as CP.
I have never been to uk ones but they are so much more expensive so havent bothered.

octaviarose Tue 04-Feb-14 20:40:54

Wow you have tried lots! Thank you so much, will go and look at them now.

bruffin Tue 04-Feb-14 20:57:04

We started going when dcs were 3 and 5 and they are 16 and 18 now. They were such easy relaxing holidays that the dcs loved we just kept going back.
I dont know how they compare to uk except they are a lot cheaper in the last week of August andbthe activities are a lot cheaper.
There are pictures on my profile of dcs at Het Heidjebos in the tropical dome about 7 or 8 years ago.

ihatethecold Wed 05-Feb-14 11:53:11

How did you travel to them, ferry, plane?

SolomanDaisy Wed 05-Feb-14 11:58:30

Landal have a wide range of parks, some of them have very similar facilities to Center Parcs and are much cheaper. We've done a few of both and always stick with Landal now.

octaviarose Wed 05-Feb-14 19:16:10

Thank you so much for all the advice everyone. Will go and check out Landal now.

PortofinoRevisited Wed 05-Feb-14 21:20:54

I think the ex CP parks like Het Vennenbos - sounds like they haven't done them up for years, the Landal ones, I mean. We have been many times to Hoog Vaals and Sonnenberg and they are really lovely - accommodation of a really high standard, totally clean etc. Landal IS cheaper though. Depends how much time you want to spend indoors vs price paid I guess. You can maybe gauge a bit on the quality by looking at the prices for different parks for any given week, but they are always worth checking vs CP especially if after a bargain. As are Sunparks.be.

We spent a weekend at Eperheide once. The basic/comfort accommodation was a bit crap to be honest though perfectly functional. I did love the breakfast package though - and the park itself was lovely. After much comparing/review reading, we are having a Landal break this year and going to CP De Kempevennen at Easter. More for the activities than anything. I am impressed by how you can pre-book everything on the website /app.

PortofinoRevisited Wed 05-Feb-14 21:27:58

We have also been to Duinrell. We camped but Duingalows looked OK. Theme park great. Pool great. Shop great. Restaurant a bit shit, and evening entertainment very unco-ordinated. I would say a wonderful place for self catering and doing stuff off site - the town is literally over the road and the beach isn't far.

bruffin Wed 05-Feb-14 22:13:52

The pancake house round the corner af Duinrell is good though.

PortofinoRevisited Wed 05-Feb-14 22:17:56

Indeed grin

invicta Wed 05-Feb-14 22:17:57

We've been to De Emhoff and Duinrell. We drove both times. Duinrell has lots different companies based there. We enjoyed both places.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Wed 05-Feb-14 22:25:12

We've done Duinrell, Rabbit Hill, Hoog Vaals and Erperheide. Duinrell the DC's were still fairly young. We then did The two Landal ones a few times then onto Erperheide last year.

The accommodation was a bit basic but the DC loved the park and are confirmed CP fans. This year we're doing Kempervenhen in the summer.

We have done De Kempervennan and Het Hejderbos.
Also done the UK ones.
My DC love to spend 8 hours all day in the pool complex on the wild water rapids and I when I looked I didn't think that Landal and Duinrell are as good for that.

Otherwise the CP are similar in most ways to the UK ones if a little shabbier and a more down market.
We went on overnight ferry to Rotterdam and drove. The Dutch motorways were lovely we found some great places to visit en route.

Bruffin I have fond memories of that tropical dome when DC were little.

tallulah Fri 07-Feb-14 17:27:13

We've been to De Eemhoff and Het Heidjebois. If I've remembered the right ones, the second of these is by the border with Germany. We were "bullied" constantly by Dutch guests while we were there - apparently we look German. I was on my own in the pool and had a gang of young adults shoving waves across me (no staff in sight) for a good while, which was quite frightening. Teen DS then had someone have a go at him elsewhere and it was only when he snapped at them "I'm English, not a bloody German" that he got apologies and they left him alone shock

We've been to Holland many times and had always found them really nice, so what was going on I've no idea. Would put me off going there again though. We were also asked (in German) for directions while walking in Cologne the same week grin

tallulah yes your comments ring a bell. We were there in the Dutch school holidays and there were many German guests who were rowdy and unpleasant. We were also assumed to be German. Having been to Germany before and found the Germans very welcoming I was also taken by surprise. I guess the cheapness of the CP must attract the wrong Germans?

PortofinoRevisited Fri 07-Feb-14 19:55:29

I have a funny Eperheide story. We had a bungalow right on the lake with a wooden terrace built over the water. We weren't overlooked by anyone. So I had been in the shower, and was stood in the living room, stark naked, patio doors wide open. When a pedalo with a whole family aboard, pedalled right past our terrace. Not sure who was more shocked blush

kelda Sat 08-Feb-14 07:10:24

grin at porto

I can just imagine that happening.

tallulah Sat 08-Feb-14 23:28:13

yourlittlesecret perhaps that's it. I'm glad it wasn't just us, but I still don't think we look German (tho we definitely don't look Dutch).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now