Holidaying with a newborn

(21 Posts)
Misty9 Sun 26-Jan-14 21:05:20

Dc2 is due beginning of April and we would love to rent a villa in Tuscany in June. Ds would be 2.9 and places on babyfriendlyboltholes mean we wouldn't need to cart loads of baby stuff with us.

But are we mad to contemplate that sort of holiday (or any sort!) with a 6-8wk old baby? We moved house and relocated when ds was 6wks old, but can't really remember that!

Frozenatchristmas Sun 26-Jan-14 22:49:14

Main things to factor:

Will the airline let you travel? Some don't with babies so young.

Will you get the passport through quick enough.

whereisshe Sun 26-Jan-14 22:55:03

If it's before 8 weeks it will be before any vaccinations.

sofi0308 Mon 27-Jan-14 11:10:17

do it, its so easy when they are little.. tonnes of places can do the whole baby gear thing, and if you have english speaking health care close by then your sceptical friends and in laws will get off your case. ie anywhere in the med. and never heard of an airline not taking a small baby. mine all flew left the country before they were a month old, dont understand why everyone doesnt do it.

Indith Mon 27-Jan-14 11:18:04

Why not? So long as you choose your holiday home carefully to make sure you have plenty of home comforts then why the hell not? Will be nice to potter with your ds1 etc. Make sure there are toys, TV/dvd player etc, make sure the sofas look comfy so you can flop all day with a baby while your DP takes the older one out for the day if you've had a crap night or baby having a really fussy day.

fivepies Mon 27-Jan-14 11:24:33

We took 7 week old DD2 to Portugal and it was great. Easy to pack, just took loads of baby gros, nappies and a sling.
No issues with the passport, just sent it off once we had the the birth certificate.
I did spend a lot of time in the shade with DD2 watching DH and DD1 playing, but was fine with that.

MerryMarigold Netherlands Mon 27-Jan-14 11:27:08

I think you need less stuff with a newborn than a crawler tbh. Why not? We took 7m old twins away (with an older ds) - they weren't yet crawling - and it was easier than when we went away when they were 1.5.

Passport may be issue I suppose.

PortofinoRevisited Belgium Mon 27-Jan-14 18:37:47

I would be worried about getting a passport in the time available tbh. The baby could be late and it is probably the busiest time. Not sure if I would travel without having had the vaccinations either. Otherwise, no problem travelling with a small baby.

Ra88 Mon 27-Jan-14 18:44:00

It's so much easier when they're that small ! Do it grin

PowderMum Mon 27-Jan-14 18:49:35

I still remember going away when DD2 was about 6 weeks old, we went in the UK but it was a 6 hour plus drive everyone at home and who we met when we were away get telling me how brave/mad I was, but it was easy.

DD2 was an easy baby, she slept and fed well and we didn't need to take much with us. We went to the beach between feeds with her in a sling or sat around the pool.

clabsyqueen Mon 27-Jan-14 19:09:22

I think you'd be crazy! It's the toddler newborn combo that's tough. Just a newborn not such a problem. Strange rooms, strange noises 2 babies to settle, constant feeding & a fraction of the toys for your toddler = pure hell in my opinion.
I now have a 5 month old and a 2.5yr old and am (just about) considering it but not at 6 weeks. No way. No how. No thanks.

Coveredinweetabix Mon 27-Jan-14 19:13:45

We went when DC2 was 7 weeks & again at 12 weeks with DC1 was 2.9yrs/2.11yrs. It was fine with DC2 being the easiest one to entertain & look after. Do take things to put them in or on eg bouncy chair or play gym.

Misty9 Mon 27-Jan-14 19:31:13

Passport and vaccinations are both good points I hadn't considered. Damn. September it is then smile seems so far away for a holiday though, and if we do something uk based in the meantime then that'll eat a significant portion of the budget sad

popflos Mon 27-Jan-14 22:38:10

passport doesnt take long, you write a pleading cover letter and they rush it through and you book you ticket in the name of INFANT and i thought no one was vaccinating anyway these days.. dont wait, if you wait you will all be ill and exhausted.
(passport website says 3 weeks)

Misty9 Tue 28-Jan-14 14:24:20

Ooh don't, you're sorely tempting me to strong arm dh into booking something! Doesn't help that I've just checked out the mn fave, caserio del mirador - and it looks AMAZING!

badguider Tue 28-Jan-14 14:28:07

In my current experience 6-8wks was a lot easier than 3-4 months (sleep regression hell).

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 29-Jan-14 11:03:40

I took my DD away when she was 8 weeks, we got her a passport really quickly. It is easier when they are younger smile

sofi0308 Wed 29-Jan-14 15:57:19

another vote caserio del mirador, heaven for parents and babies, its a no brainer. baby gym and bouncy chair and all the rest of it.. and the wine flows!! easy journey too.

Janek Wed 29-Jan-14 17:10:59

We were supposed to take 10 week old dd1 to france, but she turned up a fortnight late, so we took 8 week old dd1 instead. I was a little worried about the passport (she was born 28 april and we went in june), but we booked the earliest birth certificate appointment we could (not that early actually..) and went straight from the registry office to the post office with our already countersigned photos and already completed passport form. We then did check and send, which should have a turnaround of two weeks, although they don't guarantee that.

The date on her passport is 15 may, so it really did come through quickly!

And what do vaccinations have to do with anything? They're no more in danger abroad (within reason!) than they are in the uk.

Parsnipcake Wed 29-Jan-14 17:17:20

I would think very carefully. We were refused insurance on our 8 week old as she had 2 hospital admissions for poor weight gain. Technically we could have just used our EHIC card, but she definitely wasn't robust enough for travel. If your baby is born fit and well though, I would consider booking a last minute deal.

Misty9 Wed 29-Jan-14 22:22:32

Well, having considered our finances (we did buy a house recently I suppose...) we've decided to put the big holiday on hold until next year and stick to spending money on attraction passes/nice days out instead for now. After all, we do live in a part of the country where people come on holiday! I may yet cave and insist on a last minute deal in September though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now