Nice scottish hotel?

(36 Posts)
Redtartanshoes Wed 22-Jan-14 13:49:56

Romantic weekend away...

So open fires, good food, prefer semi rural... Oh and doesn't have to be booked 6 months in advance grin

I'm in Glasgow so could of hours max

livingatheendofthewall Fri 18-Apr-14 02:31:19

Love Cameron House, Gleneagles and Crieff Hydro.

Or what about Andy Murray's new hotel?
www.cromlix.com/

Turquoisetamborine Wed 02-Apr-14 17:48:42

www.turnberryresort.co.uk/?PS=LGEN_AA_DEMA_CGGL_TPRP

We go here every year. Best breakfast ever. Heavenly. The view is breathtaking.

chemenger Wed 02-Apr-14 17:45:13

Gleneagles, only been for afternoon tea - out of this world. It knocked spots off the afternoon tea at the Dorchester. It's a big hotel though, which might not be what the OP is after.

Cleanthatroomnow Wed 02-Apr-14 13:45:42

Sad about Monachyle. We discovered it 10 years ago and it was a well kept secret. Once it hit the glossy magazines as the place to go, standards slipped and it went from being cosy to cold. Shame, as food is fab as is the location. A classic case of "if it's not broke, don't fix it".

OwlMother Wed 02-Apr-14 10:04:24

I'd also like to add that we had a bad experience of Monacyle Mhor. The room ( one if their best) was shabby round the edges, had a blind that didn't work and was generally grubby. This could all have been overlooked if the experience had generally been better.
The dining room was cold, the standard of staff inconsistent and generally it was really disappointing. The hotel also lacks public spaces. When staying at an expensive hotel in the middle of nowhere you want to be able to relax in a comfortable lounge. The only room felt more like a reflexologist's waiting room. There are many, many nicer hotels than this!!!

chemenger Wed 02-Apr-14 09:01:52

Had the worst service ever at the Monachle Mhor. The heating didn't work in our outside room - response "Oh yes I forgot to sort that out, I'll get round to it". In January with snow on the ground. After that it was basically an oven all night with no way of turning the heat down. The water went cold, and remained cold while my DH was in the shower - response was hearty laughter at the funny man in the cold shower with shampoo in his eyes. Customer service seemed to be words they had heard but not really understood. I would never darken their door again.

Kinloch Lodge on Skye is very nice. Peat Inn is definitely a restaurant with rooms rather than a Hotel, but the food is out of this world.

If you go to the Kincraig pop in to mine for a coffee I live couple if miles away from it. grinit is lovely there.
Loch Ness house hotel is lovely as is Culloden House hotel. We have had some dirty weekends relaxing breaks in both in the last 6 months.

seb1 Tue 01-Apr-14 23:26:30
Cleanthatroomnow Tue 01-Apr-14 23:21:48

Monachyle has gone very "boutique" and they have sripped the comfort out of a lot of the rooms. Agree, though, setting and food lovely, but not as cosy as it used to be.

However, you really can't beat Gleneagles--it's the best by far.

meep Tue 01-Apr-14 23:10:58

another vote for Monachyle Mhor. There's a room with 2 baths...! Food is amazing too.

Actually, ignore my last post. I've just looked at it to reminisce, and it seems that it's no longer the luxury small hotel that it once was. sad

Kinnaird house hotel at dunkeld.

bridgetsmum Tue 01-Apr-14 22:53:46

Great thread, we're going to be celebrating our anniversary in Scotland this year so will look at some of these x

Quakerlady Tue 01-Apr-14 22:48:45

Gleneagles.

Mum2Fergus Tue 01-Apr-14 19:06:52

Fairmont St Andrews...

benefit123 Tue 01-Apr-14 00:22:58

Btw - their website is www.kincraig-castle-hotel.co.uk

benefit123 Tue 01-Apr-14 00:22:35

Kincraig Castle Hotel is a beautiful scottish hotel 20 minutes drive from Inverness. It has the feel of an old mysterious castle as you go up the driveways but the interior and the furnishing are rich and warm with tartan everywhere! Bedrooms are luxurious with special touches like Arran Aromatics in the rooms. Lots of things to do nearby with kids with Cromarty dolphin trips, Loch ness excursions, fishing and walks. Very personal atmosphere and doesn't have the feel of larger chain hotels like Cameron House. Delicious food and friendly welcoming staff. I would highly recommend for a family trip!!!!

Costacoffeeplease Fri 21-Feb-14 09:05:28

Def Cameron House - just gorgeous there on the banks of Loch Lomond

kesie123 Fri 21-Feb-14 08:33:08

Monachyle Mhor is idyllic and fantastic food!

diabolo Wed 22-Jan-14 18:15:30

I'll second the Torridon, I had my honeymoon there and it is gorgeous.

Redtartanshoes Wed 22-Jan-14 16:42:46

Some great suggestions

Thanks!

Zhx3 Wed 22-Jan-14 14:18:28

We stayed here:

www.bespokehotels.com/stonefieldcastle

It's right on the shores of Loch Fyne. The view is spectacular. The hotel is pretty nice, but not outstanding.

A little further afield, we stayed here:

www.thetorridon.com/

It was fab, but pretty pricey. The local walks have amazing views. However, husband has been back since, and said the restaurant is not as nice as it used to be - but there is an inn on the grounds of the hotel which also serves food.

Weegiemum Wed 22-Jan-14 14:14:28

Huntingtower Hotel In Perth.
Peat Inn in Fife.
Three Chimneys Restaurant with Rooms in Skye.

Also Warwick Hall near Carlisle - just into England, j43 of the M6, only 90 mins from Glasgow down the M74.

bolshieoldcow Wed 22-Jan-14 14:08:02

Lol, fishie, I'm just happy you liked it too!!

fishybits Wed 22-Jan-14 14:07:19

X post with Bolshie smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now