Nice scottish hotel?

(35 Posts)
Redtartanshoes Wed 22-Jan-14 13:49:56

Romantic weekend away...

So open fires, good food, prefer semi rural... Oh and doesn't have to be booked 6 months in advance grin

I'm in Glasgow so could of hours max

SirChenjin Wed 22-Jan-14 13:53:07
allmycats Wed 22-Jan-14 13:56:01

Cameron House on the edge of Loch Lomond, near Balloch so v. near to you. Can highly recommend.

TheTruffleHunter Wed 22-Jan-14 13:59:20

Ardanaseig, nr Oban. My favourite place in the World! here

Decanter Wed 22-Jan-14 13:59:41

Hi I can recommend the Lake of Menteith hotel in Port of Menteith and the Philipburn House Hotel in Selkirk. Both would fit the bill I think although it's been a few years since we stayed in either. Lake Menteith hotel has(had?) links with Nick Nairn whose cook school is 2 mins away, so food was great when we stayed there. Food fab in Philipburn too and they even have a room with a huge sunken double jacuzzi, right in the room. Both beautiful locations too and not too far. Enjoy!

Twooter Wed 22-Jan-14 14:00:51

Bunchrew house near beaulie, inverness

My brother had his wedding here and it was utterly glorious.

Might be 3 hours from Glasgow though so maybe a bit far.

Hadmeathello Wed 22-Jan-14 14:04:05

Knockinaam lodge near Stranraer is stunning.

bolshieoldcow Wed 22-Jan-14 14:05:07

I had a child-free weekend here: www.knockderryhouse.co.uk (got it on Groupon) and it was fabulous. Comfy, great food, stunning views, and not stuffy at all. They do good offers and deals too.

CockBollocks Wed 22-Jan-14 14:05:34

I have stayed in Cameron House, it was beautiful!

fishybits Wed 22-Jan-14 14:06:30

Another vote for Monachyle Mohr.

The Loch Lomond Arms Hotel in Luss is also good and closer. Another possible one is the Knockderry Country House in Cove. Very quiet and romantic.

www.knockderryhouse.co.uk
www.lochlomondarmshotel.com

fishybits Wed 22-Jan-14 14:07:19

X post with Bolshie smile

bolshieoldcow Wed 22-Jan-14 14:08:02

Lol, fishie, I'm just happy you liked it too!!

Weegiemum Wed 22-Jan-14 14:14:28

Huntingtower Hotel In Perth.
Peat Inn in Fife.
Three Chimneys Restaurant with Rooms in Skye.

Also Warwick Hall near Carlisle - just into England, j43 of the M6, only 90 mins from Glasgow down the M74.

Zhx3 Wed 22-Jan-14 14:18:28

We stayed here:

www.bespokehotels.com/stonefieldcastle

It's right on the shores of Loch Fyne. The view is spectacular. The hotel is pretty nice, but not outstanding.

A little further afield, we stayed here:

www.thetorridon.com/

It was fab, but pretty pricey. The local walks have amazing views. However, husband has been back since, and said the restaurant is not as nice as it used to be - but there is an inn on the grounds of the hotel which also serves food.

Redtartanshoes Wed 22-Jan-14 16:42:46

Some great suggestions

Thanks!

diabolo Wed 22-Jan-14 18:15:30

I'll second the Torridon, I had my honeymoon there and it is gorgeous.

kesie123 Fri 21-Feb-14 08:33:08

Monachyle Mhor is idyllic and fantastic food!

Costacoffeeplease Fri 21-Feb-14 09:05:28

Def Cameron House - just gorgeous there on the banks of Loch Lomond

benefit123 Tue 01-Apr-14 00:22:35

Kincraig Castle Hotel is a beautiful scottish hotel 20 minutes drive from Inverness. It has the feel of an old mysterious castle as you go up the driveways but the interior and the furnishing are rich and warm with tartan everywhere! Bedrooms are luxurious with special touches like Arran Aromatics in the rooms. Lots of things to do nearby with kids with Cromarty dolphin trips, Loch ness excursions, fishing and walks. Very personal atmosphere and doesn't have the feel of larger chain hotels like Cameron House. Delicious food and friendly welcoming staff. I would highly recommend for a family trip!!!!

benefit123 Tue 01-Apr-14 00:22:58

Btw - their website is www.kincraig-castle-hotel.co.uk

Mum2Fergus Tue 01-Apr-14 19:06:52

Fairmont St Andrews...

Quakerlady Tue 01-Apr-14 22:48:45

Gleneagles.

bridgetsmum Tue 01-Apr-14 22:53:46

Great thread, we're going to be celebrating our anniversary in Scotland this year so will look at some of these x

Kinnaird house hotel at dunkeld.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now