If you were going to "educate" your child by making sure they've seen...

(37 Posts)
Domus Mon 20-Jan-14 11:29:19

the best/most important things in Europe, what would your list of 10 trips over 5 years include?

10 & 12yo ATM and would be good if they could be fun/enjoyable as well as educational!

AnythingNotEverything Mon 27-Jan-14 23:11:58

Oh wow. What a selection.

We have a teenager and a new baby and really want to do some city breaks. Where do you stay in European cities? I've been searching for apartment type rooms ie somewhere with at least one bed in another room and am really struggling.

I'd absolutely second Berlin too. Fabulous city.

RuinedAndNotorious Mon 27-Jan-14 23:02:07

Wow, Ralph what a fantastic post about Naples! You make it sound amazing, you've inspired me to go -when I have some money.-

Does anyone have more information about the WWI battle field tours please? Do you go round the places yourself or are there tour companies who run them? I'm off to google but any recommendations would be great.

OP, what about an interrailing trip? That way you could see lots of places on the one holiday.

ShanghaiDiva Fri 24-Jan-14 07:25:26

Munich - fab galleries and museums, Dachau concentration camp and also also Schloss Linderhof and Oberammergau are not too far away.
Athens - Acropolis
Sienna - beautiful city, cathedral and the horse racing
Barecelona - Gaudi, Picasso museum
Vienna - Klimt and Hundertwasser, castles, great cake, one of the oldest zoos in the world
Amsterdam - Ann Frank house and great galleries - Hague also worth going to and Leiden and Delft
Prague - castle, bridge, consider also Karlsbad or Marienbad
Regensburg - cathedral, stone bridge, sausage kitchen, Danube, loads of excellent restaurants
Verona - open air opera
Stockholm - Vasa, lovely city
Helsinki - zoo, galleries, late nights in the summer and has a very young vibe

RalphRecklessCardew Thu 23-Jan-14 20:08:37

Lady Hamilton met Nelson. Aaargh.

Creamycoolerwithcream Thu 23-Jan-14 15:43:14

I second Malta. Lots of amazing architecture that I wasn't expecting.
I've been thinking about this thread and wanted to add going anywhere where it isn't the custom to queue. I remember being in shock as a child when a load of people pushed in front of my family in a bus queue. Also eating local food, I can still taste my first ever stuffed pepper in Greece when I was aged 7. Also ordering something abroad and working out the currency. Local travel is great, crowded bendy buses and island hopping on ferries.

goshhhhhh Thu 23-Jan-14 15:32:20

Sienna
Athens - went when I was 10 - amazing
Malta - loads more history then you would think
Normandy - d day beaches etc, bayeaux, Mont st Michel
Florence

drspouse Thu 23-Jan-14 15:23:57

I love going places now that I went as a child. It makes them a lot more special to have that child view too - and even if I had gone as an adolescent, adolescents are notoriously nostalgic for childhood and love to recall their childhood experiences - so I very much doubt it would spoil anything.

So far we're at the "look at the neigh neighs in St James' Park and oh dear it's time to go back for our nap" stage though so not much to add on the location front.

RalphRecklessCardew Thu 23-Jan-14 15:12:53

Hi Domus,

I don't have up to date recommendations for hotels/restaurants, but for other stuff:

The standard tourist thing is to stay in Ischia/Sorrento and visit Pompei. I'm sure that's lovely but all the classicists I've known say Herculaneum is better and I'd definitely stay in Naples proper. Wander around. There's the church where Boccaccio met Petrarch, the house where Lady Hamilton met Petrarch, the abandoned monastery with views over the bay and hundreds of nativity scenes with hundreds of characters, the tiny museum with two replica humans made of wire and cloth, the catacombs, the priests shaking St Gennaro's blood to make it melt, the University called 'Orientale' because it's where Chinese students first came when they went to Europe, the abandoned prison that's now a giant roof terrace, the old ladies who make a sort of fizzing lemonade with bicarb and insist you drink it all down in one go, the Caravaggio where an old man suckles from a young woman's breast to symbolise charity, the shrine to Maradona, and the food, Dear Lord the food. It's the strangest and one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The main road's called Spaccanapoli (Naples-breaker) and Naples comes from the Greek for New-City. It also gets about 1/100 of the tourists it deserves so you feel very welcome.

Suttonmum1 Wed 22-Jan-14 08:12:12

I second everything Pregnantberry has written. Berlin is two history lessons in one. WWII and cold war brought to life.

I definitely recommend Berlin. I'm not sure how it's possible to have so much history crammed into one city. What's left of the Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlie, the Bundestag building, the TV tower (great at the top), the church of remembrance (a church which had half of its spire blown off in WWII left as it was, quite an impressive site if you catch the bells ringing) and more museums than you can shake a stick at.

woodrunner Tue 21-Jan-14 15:48:36

I'd go for:
Rome - Colisseum and Forum, Tivoli water gardens
Venice - all of it!
Pompeii - ditto
Paris - Eiffel tower, galleries, Montmartre, Notre Dame, Versailles
Normandy - D Day beaches, Mont St Michel, Monet's house
Barcelona - Gaudi
Amsterdam - Anne Frank's house, Van Gogh museum
Granada - Alambra and everything else!
Germany - Rheinland schlossen and one of the concentration camps (when they are much older!) Maybe Berlin too.
Switzerland - the Alps.

NinjaPenguin Mon 20-Jan-14 21:12:00

London
Pompeii
Paris
Florence
Reyjavik
Oslo
Auschwitz
Moscow
Prague
Barcelona

nickymanchester Mon 20-Jan-14 20:05:05

Kendodd

never mind the fact I took my children to CERN

they can go on the hard-hat tour underground and see the LHC

Never mind my dc, I so want to do that <showing my inner geek>

nickymanchester Mon 20-Jan-14 19:56:51

scaevola

London
Rome and Florence
Paris
Edinburgh
Fjords
Dordogne area
Moscow
Budapest
WW1 battlefield tour
Herculaneum/Pompeii/Capri
Greek islands

Wow. Seriously good list.

However, if I were being REALLY picky then I might say St Petersburg rather than Moscow, but preferably both.

Budapest I agree is great, but if you are looking for an alternative then maybe look at Vienna. Then,as you say in your later post the Alps. I think I would replace the Dordogne with the Alps.

I haven't done a WW1 tour but I have been to the other places and totally agree with what you say.

Salbertina Mon 20-Jan-14 16:43:27

Somewhere relatively poor for a while in a developing country

Apartheid museum, what an education, a brilliant museum

Robben island

Table mountain

And Europe- capital city art galleries, museums

Rome & Greek monuments

Pompeii

Berlin -wall museum (whatever it's called), check point charlie

If a city kid, anywhere in the countryside for a few days alongside animals

Mont st michel,Paris obviously,battlefield cemeteries,Rome,glacier in Switzerland..IMO too young for Auschwitz (I was 18 and it really affects)PUBLIC TRANSPORT in any country which enables speaking and opens their eyes to a whole different way of travelling eg tram in Vienna,Amsterdam,metro,Rome buses we met such generosity of spirit and pocket this way throughout the years!
I haven't been to Pompeii or the Greek islands myself but it is on the bucket list ...oh and Seville

Weegiemum Mon 20-Jan-14 13:49:33

We've done Rome, Naples area. Paris, London, Barcelona, Amsterdam.

The Gaudi buildings in Barcelona are incredible to see.

Creamycoolerwithcream Mon 20-Jan-14 13:41:50

My DS's are 13 and 15 and some of our best trips in Europe have been to:
Pompeii
Leaning Tower of Pisa
St Petersburg. Especially Peterhorf Palace and gardens
Dubrovnik
Ephesus
Sicily
Rome
Norwegian fjords
Skiing in the Alps
London- only an hour from us but we love it!
Disney
Apart from London, we have visited these places as part of a fun holiday not just for an educational purpose.
Out of Europe I would pick:
Everything in Cape Town
Iguassa Falls
Whale watching in Cabo, Mexico.

HamletsSister Mon 20-Jan-14 13:36:55

Rome - we had the most fantastic 3 day break there. Religion, Romans and really good food. All walkable and every corner and street has something interesting to look at.

NigellasDealer Mon 20-Jan-14 13:20:07

Venice and Trieste
Athens
Greek Islands esp. Samos and Crete
Cofffee shops in Amsterdam (okok I am joking !!)
Berlin

Barcelona.

noramum Mon 20-Jan-14 13:11:15

For WWII history:

Germany or Poland - concentration camps, the Holocaust memorial in Berlin, Ploetzensee (gallows for traitors and resistance members)
Anne Frank House in Amsterdam

Culture:
Museums in Berlin, Munich, Amsterdam, Paris, Florence

Knossos in Crete, Pompei, Rome (not only Ancient Rome but also Early Christianity)

Scandinavia for Viking history

Seville, Cordoba and Granada to understand Arab occupation of Spain and the Reconcista

Natural beauty - cave paintings in Southern France or Spain, gorges in the Alpes or Southern France or Ronda in Spain

slug Mon 20-Jan-14 13:08:54
Chippingnortonset123 Mon 20-Jan-14 13:05:48

Thanks for that, Slug.
Any more information on Naples?
Ty to Anne Frank House, although they must read the book first. (I would give it to them at the airport.
Most of this stuff is boring to an early teen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now