New York in May half term? Would you?

(12 Posts)
Tansie Fri 17-Jan-14 11:52:50

Thinking about taking the family to NYC this coming half term. I've been, albeit 25 years ago but DH and the DSs, 13 & 15, haven't.

Any idea where to stay and what to do and see?

TIA

The area around Times Square in Manhattan has lots of hotels; have a look too on tripadvisor's website.

Would suggest you visit places like the Rockefeller Centre (Top of the Rock can have fine views), Empire State Building, Central Park, WTC site and South Street Seaport during your time there.

Child prices for airfares will no longer apply; you will need to pay adult fares for the children. Do make your children aware too that they will be fingerprinted and photographed as well as yourselves on arrival into the US and they will have to comply. Also you will need to go online once you have booked the flights and accommodation to complete the ESTA form four times in succession (one form is needed for each of you). This currently costs $14 US per person and is valid for 2 years from date of application. Use only the official US government website to do this - its https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov, use no other as they are unofficial and overcharge people.

Look at both BA and Virgin for travelling there.

Tansie Fri 17-Jan-14 12:32:09

Thanks for the advice!

I admit that I am currently doing the maths and am beginning to think that this'll all be too expensive- I mean, 4 nights in an out-of-town place with flights is looking like £2500 plus...

Sigh. You can get a good villa on the Med with flights for a week for that. Maybe I was being too optimistic!

Wonder if there's any chance of 'last-minuiting' it?

TalkinPeace Sat 18-Jan-14 22:45:51

New York in May .... like a shot .....
check on Air Bnb
BUT then be willing to negotiate privately as technically that site is illegal in New York

the Penington Guest house will not have a room for you but they may know "a man who does"

NYC is like nothing else and with teenagers its just
its just

(was born there, am biased)

MillyMollyMama Sat 18-Jan-14 23:52:38

New York is a bit further than the Med, hence the price difference. Personally I would go because it is a fabulous city and everyone should experience it. You will get jet lag so go early in the week. Personally I would consider going at the end of August which can be cheaper. New York empties in August and it can be hot but hotel deals are better. Also, there is no such thing as a late cheap deal to New York. Go on the BA site and check out the prices in late August. Booking a long way ahead should be better value.

For ease of walking, I would stay centrally in Manhattan. Although Brooklyn is now fashionable, the commute will have to be factored in. I would add the Highline to sightseeing musts and also MoMa and the Guggenheim. 5th Avenue is great and so is Central Park. Take the Staten Island ferry for the best views of the Statue of Liberty. Go to Ellis Island where the immigrants had to wait for approval for entry. Some really famous people landed there. Eating out can be expensive. Do not take breakfast in the hotel, go to a local deli type cafe. There is so much to see working out what suits you best is the difficult part, but do go.

TalkinPeace Sun 19-Jan-14 13:13:08

A lot of Ellis Island is still shut
www.nps.gov/elis/planyourvisit/index.htm
but otherwise I'll second everything MillyMolly says

the subway is great nowadays as well

Tansie Sun 19-Jan-14 20:45:57

Talkin thanks (and everyone else, of course) but- why's Air bnb (who I hadn't heard of before now!) banned in the USA?- not that I'm expecting you to be an expert- but how can you make your payment secure and binding if you use such folk? (Only ever time my CC was ripped was using it from the UK to buy something for the US!)

Tansie Sun 19-Jan-14 20:54:11

Just looked at Wiki, so I think I've found my answer- something to do with it being illegal for people to rent out their pads without getting $$ licenses, I think?

TalkinPeace Sun 19-Jan-14 21:20:22

NYC (rather than the rest of the USA) has very very strict rules about subletting because of so many apartments being rent controlled

many people do it anyway
BUT
if you make a booking and its suddenly pulled, it may not be the renters fault
and if you are brave you can carry on privately

NB
this is NOT a problem in most of the rest of the USA

notmydog Thu 30-Jan-14 19:33:49

tansie you can still book through AirBnb but look at Jersey City or Union City on the other side of the Hudson. It is New Jersey state, New York legislation doesn't apply! 10-20 minutes on either the Path train or bus to Manhatten. We've just booked a lovely flat in Jersey City for October half term, £50 per night for 3 of us.

Unfortunately the days of cheap airfares to the US are long gone; the rising cost of fuel and APD (Air Passenger Duty) from the UK which is in effect a tax on passengers imposed by the government, has caused airfares to rise generally.

Short term lettings of apartments in NYC is illegal and many building owners do not allow this to happen at all. (Also many residents do not like tourists coming and going from their building all the time). Many people have tried renting apartments there and have been scammed for their troubles so do not take the risk of actually renting an apartment in NYC. Its too much of a risk and the apartment you've booked and paid for may well not exist or at least be the same as advertised.

Hulababy Thu 30-Jan-14 21:26:42

First time I went to NY was a May half term. DD was abt 7y. Been a couple of times since too.

First time we went for a week, with friends, and staye in a rented house on Broad Channel - used the underground to get into NY, about 45 minutes ride.

Last time has been for shorter time periods - 4 and 3 nights. Stayed in hotels in Manhattan, far mrore central.

Love NY - so much to see and do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now