How much will your summer holiday cost you roughly?

(210 Posts)
magentastardust Tue 14-Jan-14 19:49:39

Majority of people in my dc's school will be heading for Florida this year on holiday-we wouldn't be able to stretch to that but are hoping to have some sort of European holiday in the school holiday time.

Just wondering If I am kidding myself about prices a bit -How much does everyone roughly spend on a fortnight in the sun. Maybe I should have budgeted more?

rookiemater Tue 14-Jan-14 19:55:40

Hi
We're doing 2 weeks in France with our DS, first week sharing a villa with friends, second week on our own in a shared complex. Flights £850, accomodation for both weeks about £1600 in total and car hire hoping to do free using air miles, so about £2.5k in total.

Holidays are our big extravagance - I drive a battered old car ( DH not so much wink ), most of house needs complete redecoration, but given the choice I will always spend the money on holidays. I book everything as soon as it comes out to try and keep the cost semi reasonable, but it is a big expense.

Florida is a great but costly holiday. We did it last Easter, it's not a holiday I'd rush to do it again, but was keen to do it when DS was of an age to really enjoy it - he had just turned 7 and he had a wonderful time.

diabolo Tue 14-Jan-14 19:58:11

In the Balearics, last 2 weeks of July

Villa = £1700 for 2 weeks
Flights = £704 for 3 of us
Car Hire = £550
Spending money £1,000 (we usually bring home a couple of hundred £)
Airport parking = £95

So all in, just over £4,000.

For this we get exactly what we want, exactly where we want it, no other people to worry about, no noise and we can choose what we want to eat and where we go every day. Worth every penny.

Shamoy Tue 14-Jan-14 19:59:48

Our first family holiday for 5 of us. 2 weeks all inclusive in menorca mid august £4k

onepieceoflollipop Tue 14-Jan-14 20:00:01

We spent nearly £3k one week in Majorca, all inclusive hotel for 4 of us. I think we may hve got it a little cheaper if we had booked a bit earlier. It was lovely though. And we had free access to water park, which my older dd loved.

MillyONaire Tue 14-Jan-14 20:01:08

€50 or so - we will have a few days camping locally. (to be fair we live in a beautiful holiday area whose population quadruples in summertime with holiday makers - we are recent additions to those numbers having previously fled to other holiday areas during the summer!)

PortofinoRevisited Wed 15-Jan-14 08:51:20

£3000 for 3 weeks accommodation - mobile homes in 2 different locations in France. About £150 for an overnight stop on the way out. £100 in diesel and £100 for tolls. Plus spending money - probably about 2000 euros. The summer holiday is my one big extravagance.

In Belgium we get double holiday pay in the summer - so effectively in April/May DH and I get nearly an extra months wages each, which pretty much pays for the whole thing.

Creamycoolerwithcream Wed 15-Jan-14 09:56:33

we are going on a cruise and stay holiday which will be about £6.5k all in. I think you could find a European holiday for £2.5k or less with all spending money included.

MadeOfStarDust Wed 15-Jan-14 10:00:58

Going to see my mum on a Scottish island (will it still be in Europe???) £1,500 - flights costing £900 of that.. then car hire £200 and cottage £300 - will have "entertainment" and food on top...... about £300 for the week including cinema/swimming pool and eating out... so £1800 in total - not leaving the UK (as it is in its present form!)

ginmakesitallok Wed 15-Jan-14 10:03:23

Going to Crete, 2 weeks self catering, £2,200 for flights, accommodation, car parking etc. Will probably spend another £2k while there..... Fuck!

Rooble Wed 15-Jan-14 10:05:34

S/c in Switzerland and leisurely drive back through Germany: £500 for the ferry, about £700 for the flat for a week, not sure how much for petrol, about another £500 for the accommodation en route then whatever we spend on food, drink, activities whilst there (budget quite a lot for this). Maybe 2.5k+ in total for a two week holiday? Or so.

Rooble Wed 15-Jan-14 10:07:05

Actually maybe nearer 3.5 as I haven't added petrol or thought in detail about cost of meals out....

princessalbert Wed 15-Jan-14 10:51:16

No idea.

the main summer holiday is France.

We have booked the first house- just short of £1000 for the week.
Will be sorting out a second one in a different region - that will likely be the same or more..Sigh - so another £1000

Stopovers for maybe 2 nights outward - for 4 of us = £300
And poss a stopover on the home run = £150

Spends for 2.5 weeks, self catering, = who knows £2000
Diesel £200 at least
Tolls £100
Ferries £100

So, £5000. Probably more.

MaryShelley Wed 15-Jan-14 10:53:54

£2000 family of 4 for 2 weeks in France - house with pool. That includes spending money

Chocotrekkie Wed 15-Jan-14 10:55:53

2 adults & 2 kids.
Week in August on a med cruise & staying for a few days before it. Total including excursions,tips and spending money about £5k. Really looking forward to it.

Methe Wed 15-Jan-14 11:06:17

First 2 weeks of the summer holidays- we go the day after they break up.

2 weeks Canvas holiday in the Dordogne £1100 ( we had a £200 voucher)
Fuel to get there and back £250
Tolls £100
Spends, including food, £1000.

We always eat out a lot more than we intend to when we are on holiday an this year were trying to rein the spending in a bit. If we do it fully SC we should be able to come back with a bit but it won't happen

foxdongle Wed 15-Jan-14 11:14:00

cruise but only for 1 week. cost £2200 for 2 adults and 2 kids. The food and some drinks/entertainment/kids clubs etc are all included. so only extras are some drinks, trips and spending money.

we have a holiday account now which money goes into each month
(£200 ish) to guarantee that we go somewhere.

Rosvita Wed 15-Jan-14 11:55:35

magenta omg what school do your kids go to?I can never understand how so many people seem to be able to afford florida! We are going next year but I have been working my arse off doing extra shifts to save for it and I estimate it will cost approx £8000! This year we are having a cheapy holiday to Spain - may half term -
£569 bargain flights from local airport (booked really early and now a lot more expensive)
£450 for 5 nights half board at a 4* hotel
£0 3 nights staying with relatives who have a house abroad
£500ish spending money.
So just over 1.5K all in.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 15-Jan-14 12:02:35

We are going to Turkey for 2 weeks in August
Flights just over £1,000 for 4 of us
Accomodation around £1,000
Car hire around £300
Spending money hopefully £1,000

redskyatnight Wed 15-Jan-14 12:32:30

This year we are going to North Wales for 2 weeks. We will self cater and do free/cheap stuff. Expect to spend about £1500 (including food, fuel, everything ...).

It's a bit of an eyeopener that the majority of people at OP's DC's school are going to Florida.

The majority of people at my DC's school will not be going away.
The majority of those that are will have a week in the UK.
Our 2 weeks in Wales looks super extravagent.
And I would say we live in a fairly, "normal", mixed area.

Creamycoolerwithcream Wed 15-Jan-14 12:34:57

I live in a fairly affluent area and don't know anyone going to Florida.

magentastardust Wed 15-Jan-14 12:35:29

Rosvita -they just attend a local village school , but we are in North East Scotland -The oil industry means there are a lot of wealthy families around who are able to take annual Florida trips!

We have 3 little ones -flights have really shot up in the last couple of years , we also like to rent a villa if possible so we have our own space so it does soon add up. I guess we will be looking at 4/5k for 5 of us.

Worse problems to have -I am just delighted we have the luxury of being able to take the family away this year as not been able to for a couple of year -but the price does seem to have gone up quite a lot in the last while.

dashoflime Wed 15-Jan-14 12:37:03

Not planned it yet but from experience about £1000.

That breaks down as:
£500 to either rent self catering accom in UK or on cheap package abroad
£500 spent while on holiday on trips, food and drink

We could probably bring the price down if we needed to by being less extravagant on meals and drinks but we can afford it and I like to push the boat out a bit

Creamycoolerwithcream Wed 15-Jan-14 12:38:14

I think you could get what you are after for a lot less than £5k.

magentastardust Wed 15-Jan-14 12:39:47

Okay -maybe best just to leave this thread there-I am not lying or making up about where the majority of people are going on holiday- why on earth would I ?!?
I genuinely just wondered what the norm for a two week annual holiday is now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now