Family hotel in Sharm with snorkelling?

(21 Posts)
DrownedGirl Sun 02-Feb-14 18:26:22
DrownedGirl Sun 02-Feb-14 18:26:05

Been here twice

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g297555-d1522979-r23400967-Royal_Grand_Sharm_Hotel-Sharm_El_Sheikh_South_Sinai_Red_Sea_and_Sinai.html

Brilliant snorkelling

Thatsnotmyfigure Thu 16-Jan-14 22:17:47

Ooh thanks! Had looked up the Stella di Mare a d Sensatori and they looked good!

Thatsnotmyfigure Thu 16-Jan-14 22:16:51

Ooh thanks! Had looked up the Stella di Mare a d Sensatori and they looked good!

namechange74 Thu 16-Jan-14 19:07:32

sorry, didn't finish - got it's own dive shop on the beach that my husband virtually lives in when we go there grin

namechange74 Thu 16-Jan-14 19:07:01

Sensatori (Thomson) is good.

Stella De Mare

We stayed here last year. Lovely food, nice pools, snorkelling right off the pontoon. So nice that we're going back in 6 weeks time. Can't wait! grin

Hersetta Thu 16-Jan-14 18:58:39

The Holiday Village in Nabq Bay is great with kids. childrens pool a crèche, stay and play sessions etc. We've been twice when DD was 2 and 3.

34DD Wed 15-Jan-14 21:14:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Thatsnotmyfigure Wed 15-Jan-14 15:18:46

Sounds great Bwife although they only do it up to February - I guess it hots up (in more than one way!) in March

BirdersWife Tue 14-Jan-14 21:30:19

If you can afford it, the Four Seasons is great for kids. If you are planning to go during term time they have a Young Families package which gives you a two bed/bath suite for the price of a standard room, three hours of childcare per day either in kids club or babysitter in your room, and also includes free kids meals and laundry.

The resort is to die for. The kids club is fab, there are several restaurants, a nice beach area and they will arrange snorkelling. And then there is Four Seasons service which is second to none. You will be thoroughly spoilt.

Thatsnotmyfigure Mon 13-Jan-14 23:27:34

Thanks sheart that does look good! Have been wading through trip advisor but this really helps!

sweetheart Mon 13-Jan-14 22:27:53

We stayed at this hotel in Egypt with out 2 children this year. The hotel has its own coral reef, several pools and even it own small water park.

Thatsnotmyfigure Mon 13-Jan-14 22:23:05

Awks - the only time I've snorkelled off Sharm a boat dropped us about a mile out to sea then zoomed off! Ok with an instructor but the sea was freezing and my friend had an asthma attack. Most of the coral on the shore at Sharm was decimated a couple of decades ago but there is still supposed to be some round!

Eastpoint Mon 13-Jan-14 22:02:02

We stayed at the Ritz, huge pools, some of which were heated. Snorkeling off pontoons but quite hard for a 5 year old to get on & off (good swimmers). The sea was quite cold at Easter, you could only swim in the sea for about 10-15 minutes. There was a lazy river around another pool & children's club. Food was so so. We went with Voyages Jules Verne. The Four Seasons sounds better from what friends have said but we haven't gone back.

WallyBantersJunkBox Mon 13-Jan-14 21:58:56

Just to add, both those hotels have lovely child are activities, play parks and kids clubs to keep your little one cool and occupied.

Awks Mon 13-Jan-14 21:58:52

is trying to imagine any snorkelling that isn't off the coast smile

birdybear Mon 13-Jan-14 21:57:31

Google it! That is what i did and just read all the trip advisor reviews for all the hotels mentioned.

And i am going in two weeks! Yay ! And without the kids! Even more yay !

does that make me a terrible mother?

WallyBantersJunkBox Mon 13-Jan-14 21:57:16

I've stayed in the Happy Life Hotel for 3 weeks while visiting DH there when he was a dive instructor, and I wouldn't recommend it. The food is absolutely terrible led by a very Germanic based customer demand, and the beds were like planks of wood. It's also a very long distance from the town. The kids provision was terrible.

The staff were lovely, but there were lots of very rude guests.

I'm no stranger to Egypt, i'm an Egyptologist this was my 8th Red Sea visit, and I've been to dirtier parts but we all ended up having an injection for stomach upsets,even my DH who had been staying in the town for 9 weeks previously, and chose to eat with us at the hotel.

One thing to note is that the beaches around the Red Sea are not sand - they are rocky rubble, and the best snorkeling is either out in boats or at drop offs and pontoons so the children need to be fairly confident swimmers.

Naama Bay, although quite touristy has a safe beach with some man made areas to walk into the sea. There are some really nice hotels on the bay, such as the Hilton and the Movenpick.

springlike Mon 13-Jan-14 21:46:23

I stayed in Dahab (about an hour north of Sharm) recently and saw a hotel called Happy Life Resort which looked great and had a reef on it's "doorstep". It seemed to be set up for families and being able to walk to a fantastic reef would be a bonus. I am planning on taking my family there when I return!

Thatsnotmyfigure Mon 13-Jan-14 19:19:39

Hi! Can anyone recommend the above? We've been to Sharm before years ago when we were single, but this time will have DS (16mo) too! From what I remember the best snorkelling is off the coast, but I think some hotels may still have coral reefs close by which would be ideal as we can take it in turns. Plus a toddler pool would be great! Any ideas gratefully received!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now