NY accommodation

(13 Posts)
hallowisitmeyourelookingfor Sat 04-Jan-14 16:35:16

I have booked flights to NY for the end of October and am now starting to think about accommodation.
We are a group of 5 adults and were thinking of hiring an apartment for 5 nights rather than a hotel, we thought it would work out cheaper (although no one has actually checked to see if this is the case).
Any recommendations for sites to look/book through, or areas to stay in? We haven't got any preference to areas so far so any advice is welcome. TIA smile

mummymeister Sat 04-Jan-14 18:11:24

have a look on the long haul thread. someone mentioned about there being scams for short term lets in NYC. think you should check this out first.

Budgiegirlbob Sat 04-Jan-14 18:33:10

Think you have to be very careful, I don't think short term apartment lets are legal in NY, you would be better to stay in a hotel. There are some suite style hotels that may have two or three bedrooms

Radio City Apartments is a hotel that has apartments to sleep 5. My MIL stayed there a few years ago, she said it was ok, clean and comfortable, but a bit dated. Fantastic location though, right in the heart of midtown

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 04-Jan-14 18:34:23

Yeah you can't book apartments in NYC any more. We've booked two and they were much better than hotels. Shame that.

MillyMollyMama Sat 04-Jan-14 18:52:56

We have American friends who swear by Citadines. Not sure if they have a NY Citadenes but they are a reliable chain of apart-hotels. There are stunning hotels in NY though. Could you not have booked via the airline to save money? You may still be able to do this. NY is a great holiday and Central Park will have its Autumn leaves when you go. May even have the ice rink running !

hallowisitmeyourelookingfor Sat 04-Jan-14 19:26:23

Ah, thanks everyone, I had no idea about not being able to book apartments. Oh well, it was just an idea. We could have booked a package, but tbh, the saving wasn't really a factor in us wanting an apartment, we just fancied it! And also, the person in charge of our booking found a flash deal on some flights and we all decided to book before it ended without having given any proper thought to where we wanted to be based.
I have just been researching though, and found loads and loads of websites advertising apartments for short term let, what's that all about then?

Mabelandrose Sat 04-Jan-14 19:36:35

We used airbnb to travel across the us and including NYC. It was amazing and would do it again in an instant (especially with a big group of you). There are always people who scare you about it being illegal but providing you go for a well recommended host I can't see the risk.

Anyway good luck. NYC is really great when you stay in an apartment like a local (and far more cost effective).

notthefirstagainstthewall Sat 04-Jan-14 21:26:56

This hotel popped up on Travelzoo as NY's tallest hotel. At the very least it is brand new.

hallowisitmeyourelookingfor Sat 04-Jan-14 22:18:18

Thanks notthefirst but it won't let me go any further without sending my email address and the last thing I need at the moment is any more junkmail heading for my inbox!
I will have a chat with the rest of my group and see where to go from there.
Mabel I realised my friends DM and DSIS went to NY last year over Easter and they had rented an apartment, don't know it it was illegal then or not but there certainly seem to be a lot of websites out there renting properties.

notthefirstagainstthewall Sat 04-Jan-14 22:28:11

Ah sorry.
There is a good piece in the Telegraph from Oct 13 about renting (doesn't mention illegality).It is apparently illegal but there are hotels that have apartments and companies that lend out homes. Tripadvisor is your friend.

However in RL I was really shocked by how small space is in New York. Scary. Everything was partitioned walls as far as I could see. It's not like apartment renting in Europe.

Mabelandrose Sat 04-Jan-14 22:55:47

Airbnb are fantastic and have a great reputation. I have used them all over the world and have never had any problems. The key is only booking apartments with loads of good feedback.

The beauty with airbnb is that you can have the option to stay in the most amazing apartments - you just need to search for the perfect one. It gives you the chance for a real once in a lifetime trip - way better than a generic hotel.

Short term apartment lets in NYC are illegal full stop. Many people have been caught out, do not rent an apartment as it also may not exist or be as you expect. Many people as well do not have the authority either to rent out their own place and that rules out many co-op buildings as well as condos. Avoid therefore renting an apartment there at all costs. NYC has different regulations altogether; it is not at all like renting an apartment elsewhere. Its hard to accept being told no you cannot do that but this is fact.

Airbnb are not without its problems as there have been people who have been scammed on there as well.

Mabelandrose Sun 05-Jan-14 20:42:16

I don't doubt many people have been scammed on airbnb - but you would have to be very unlucky (possibly stupid).

You have to do your research and get to know the host. Airbnb hold your money until you check in. If there are problems they sort it out for you and keep your money safe.

I promise I don't work for them, just feel it's a shame for people to bit experience this great way to travel!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now