Scared of ferries - what can I do?

(9 Posts)
Debs75 Sun 15-Dec-13 14:57:38

My friend is 40 next year and wants us all to go on a dutch dash.
We will set off at 8pm sleep on the ferry spend the day in Amsterdam and then sleep on the ferry coming back that night. It is only 36 hour trip, so great as I don't leave the kids long, but it is the two nights on the ferry which is leaving me sweating.

I am scared of boats and open water. We went on the Isle of Wight ferries last year and I was a wreck. Mostly because DP is a meanietwat and made fun of me all the way there. Luckily he won't be there as it is a girlie trip.

12 hours over open water, in the dark seems a bit much without planning. I think if I was able to actually get on one and acclimatise myself to how it feels it may help but I'm not sure if they would do that due to security reasons.

Any helpful advice would be welcome

specialsubject Sun 15-Dec-13 15:00:19

you don't go unless you get help to deal with this, or you fly.

no holiday is essential. Especially one that won't be fun.

BTW at 40 none of you will be in any state to do anything after sleeping on the boat!

Debs75 Sun 15-Dec-13 15:06:06

So what help could I get? Are you talking valium or counselling?

whereisshe Sun 15-Dec-13 15:10:12

The beds on ferries are awful. I'd fly.

Debs75 Sun 15-Dec-13 15:20:38

I'm not bothered about the beds I can sleep anywhere

Flying is out as well.
I live where I can see the ferries at dock, the nearest airport is an hours drive away. Plus wouldn't flying be really expensive? Ferry works out at £37.50 each plus £1 for the taxi to the dock

SwedishEdith Sun 15-Dec-13 15:25:36

Have a few drinks when you get on to relax you. It's just like being in the pub on a night crossing. You have far more chance of surviving an accident in a ferry than a plane crash - if that's what you're worrying about.

Debs75 Sun 15-Dec-13 15:32:23

I was planin on a cople of drinks to stady thenrves

OK try again, judging by that sentence I need a barrel full.

I was planning on a couple of drinks to steady the nervesgrin Not too much, just in case.

Friends have said the ferries are so big I won't know I am on one and it will feel more like a pub hmm

Have just checked flights and they are £50ish plus travel, £10ish each so I can't see my friends doing that.

I think I might get in touch with P and O and see I can have a tour whilst they are in dock

givemeaclue Tue 17-Dec-13 11:13:27

I hate ferries and that weekend sounds like no fun to me. I prob wouldn't go, it's the majority of the time on the ferry not in Amsterdam.

specialsubject Thu 19-Dec-13 20:22:04

doesn't hurt to ask P and O, never heard of a 'fear of sailing' course but you have a fear so why not?

it is supposed to be FUN. If you have to be drugged or pissed to cope, that's not fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now