ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Is it possible to hire a villa/apartment in Europe for £500 in August?

(78 Posts)
ihatethecold Sat 14-Dec-13 20:22:21

Want to have a week in Europe next August, am open to where.
Not too lively, family friendly.
For four of us. Me ,DH,DS 14 and DD10.

I had a look at porta pollensa but it was ££££

Which countries offer the best value?
France, Spain Italy etc.

Needs to be close to a beach and a pool.

I'm asking for too much aren't I?

dobedobedo Tue 31-Dec-13 11:45:16

I had a two bed apartment for 10 days b&b for less than £400 in a place called Mandello Del Lario, on lake Como in Italy. It was lovely - five minute walk to the lake (with beaches - not sandy but gorgeous with mountains surrounding you). Flights to Milan are v cheap also. Milan to Mandello is about 1 hour by train, direct there.
Mandello is also non touristy (but close to the touristy places) so cheaper than Bellagio, or Milan etc.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 31-Dec-13 11:41:38

We went to Spain, near Granada, this August and it was £500 a week for a villa with a private pool. Last year we went to Italy, Tuscany and paid £350 a week for an apartment in a house with a private pool.

This year we are going to Turkey and we are hoping to get a villa for around £500.

It can certainly be done, you just need to look around.

ihatethecold Sun 29-Dec-13 14:00:39

Anyone have any idea when the flights for next august aren't so exp.
Im shocked at how much they are into europe.

We cant do cornwall now due to unforseen circumstances.
I will start looking at all the recomendations on here.
Until i can see where we can fly to reasonably its difficult to look at accomodation.

DameDeepRedBetty Tue 17-Dec-13 14:31:25

We were in Lanzarote this August, was just right temperature wise. Around 28 - 31 degrees.

ihatethecold Tue 17-Dec-13 14:25:54

Fuengirola.
That name brings back some long distant memories.
It was my first trip away with 3 friends when I was 17.
Not sure I'm ready to go back grin

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Tue 17-Dec-13 14:18:27

that Benalmadena one is close to Selwo Marina sea park.

Also there is a nice little zoo at Fuengirola - next resort along, again easy to get to by public transport. Mind you we went on a very hot day once & everything was wilting in the shade (including me) so we didn't see much

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Tue 17-Dec-13 14:01:01

2-bed apt on complex in Benalmadena £450 in August

Close enough to Malaga airport to get there by taxi or public transport (which is cheap & good!) & you wouldn't need a car once there

Ruthiebabes Tue 17-Dec-13 13:57:20

I would recommend Nerja, its 65km from Malaga airport.

I had a quick look at ownersdirect.co.uk and there are options for 2 bed pts at around £500 in August.

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Tue 17-Dec-13 13:54:03

Villa with pool £650 - says "a few minutes' walk" to beach. It is close but again there's the main road in the way (you would walk under it there I think)

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Tue 17-Dec-13 13:49:07

beachfront apt in La Herradura - no pool though was £475pw last summer

It's about 100km from Malaga airport

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Tue 17-Dec-13 13:43:47

You probably wouldn't like Torremolinos much grin

Marbella is a nice town with a fab beach & there are various resorts between there & Malaga - that's going west - Benalmadena & Fuengirola are popular. Eastwards there are some lovely smaller places like Nerja, Salobrena, La Herradura, Almunecar.

I would have suggested looking there but Costa del Sol often hits 40 degrees in August. Also if you want to be able to walk easily to a beach it'll be more than £500 think. (there is accommodation cheaper than that in eg Nerja, but it tends to be a 15-20 minute walk away across the main road)

ihatethecold Tue 17-Dec-13 10:25:49

We have flexibility on dates but I would imagine that the villa hire doesn't.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
I went on a website yesterday that I put a budget into and a country and it told me where I could fly to.

I was trying to work out the cheapest area to fly to. Then look at villas in that region.

Anyone know what the area around Malaga is like?

Bloodyteenagers: those are Wednewday to Wednesday prices - cheaper than a Saturday which the OP needs to consider if the holiday rental is a Saturday start, as most are.

Bloodyteenagers Mon 16-Dec-13 21:53:51

Curlyhairedassassin... Yes I am sure of the cost. The price will drop from what it is at the moment, which for the 13th August until the 27th, it's £186 return, from Gatwick with BA per ticket. With Easyjet it's £188 and Ryanair haven't released their prices yet. So for op still well under a grand.

noramum Mon 16-Dec-13 21:29:35

Have a look at the North Italian/Swiss border lakes like Lake Lugano.

French Atlantic coast? But it is high season in France so quite busy and probably pricey as well.

SwedishEdith Mon 16-Dec-13 19:25:04

Does the beach have to be driveable to or walkable to?

Jackthebodiless Mon 16-Dec-13 01:24:00

Yes HanneHolm, the key to making an expensive villa holiday instantly affordable is to go with another family. We've always done this and have stayed in some beautiful places without breaking the bank.

WaitingForMe Sun 15-Dec-13 22:55:57

Another vote for Owners Direct. We paid £500 for the Costa del Sol in August this year.

Onykahonie Sun 15-Dec-13 22:29:09

The flights we've booked are from East Midlands, Ryanair to Crete. Most of the accommodation I'm looking at (Chania area - not as developed as the Heraklion area) is under £500 a week for an apartment with pool and near a beach. Like you, we like smaller resorts and our kids are still happy with a pool and beach.

ihatethecold Sun 15-Dec-13 22:27:09

School mum
That villa isn't available in august.
Looks nice though.
Thanks

ihatethecold Sun 15-Dec-13 22:22:42

Thanks assassin.
I'm fine. My car and bank balance are not.
I really don't want to go to a caravan.
Be there got the t shirt many times.
I love the sites I've been on but I know they are heaving in August.
I do like a bit of peace and quiet in the evening.
We live in cambridgeshire.
Dover is doable for France although were not keen to drive through France right down to the bottom.
I will look at all the links.
I did look at some budget airline flights and had a mini heart attack!

SchoolMumIsPainInTheBum Sun 15-Dec-13 20:41:52

This is where we are going next year - this region of Spain has a lot to offer, just make sure you have air conditioning as it can be very hot.
www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/los-alcazares/49554

nannyafrica Sun 15-Dec-13 20:35:47

Just saw this with www.booking.com £500 week.
Villas Puerto Rubicon
Lanzarote.

Another one in Moraira if you could stretch to 600 for the week:

m.holidaylettings.co.uk/#rentals/178183

Framey: how last minute do you mean? Like a cancelation a couple of weeks before?

FrameyMcFrame Sun 15-Dec-13 20:20:41

If you leave it to last minute you can get some amazing deals. We did this last 2 years and got v posh villas for low price. Book flights early to get deals though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now