Is it possible to hire a villa/apartment in Europe for £500 in August?

(78 Posts)
ihatethecold Sat 14-Dec-13 20:22:21

Want to have a week in Europe next August, am open to where.
Not too lively, family friendly.
For four of us. Me ,DH,DS 14 and DD10.

I had a look at porta pollensa but it was ££££

Which countries offer the best value?
France, Spain Italy etc.

Needs to be close to a beach and a pool.

I'm asking for too much aren't I?

Onykahonie Sun 15-Dec-13 13:41:12

How much are you looking at spending in total including flights?
We've booked Ryanair flights to Crete for under £1000 for 4 of us in the school hols (my kids count as adults as they're over 12). Accommodation out there can be pretty cheap, if you are happy with a basic apartment.
Try Travel Republic.

Bloodyteenagers Sun 15-Dec-13 13:51:22

Yes of course it is. Have a look on villarenters. I get an apartment every year in Spain, comes with a pool, 15 minutes from the beach, and comes at less that £250 a week in August. Have a look at the Costa Blanca..

diabolo Sun 15-Dec-13 17:45:38

Try GW Villa Rentals - do loads of apartments as well as villas around Menorca - got some around £575 for end August.

www.gwvillarentals.com/property-rentals/?Refine=Apartment

AuntySib Sun 15-Dec-13 17:55:38

We went to Barneville in Normandy this summer - beautiful beaches ( fab for swimming and kite-flying), nice walks, pretty small towns and lots of history. Had a fab time. August, £500 for house sleeping 5, 200 yards from beach, think it was Owners Abraod. Got the car ferry to Cherbourg, half an hour drive form there. Ferry was also about £500. No pool though.

Branleuse Sun 15-Dec-13 18:02:08

id go for a mobile home chalet maybe

Yes you can, if you're prepared to share a pool and hire a car. We love puerto Pollensa but can't justify the prices anymore. This year we've booked a fortnight in Moraira in Spain in own villa with pool for same price as one week (equivalent villa type) in Puerto Pollensa.

Our villa is 770 per week. Own pool and very spacious. If you look at holidaylettings.co.uk and look at properties in Moraira then you will definitely find somewhere with a shared pool for 500 per week.

Flights have gone up hugely this year though. We paid about 650 for return flights for 4 last year to majorca. This year it's nearer 1000! (Similar price for both Spain and Majorca - I checked!)

So Cornwall for us in 2015! Can't afford to spend that (or more, probably) on flights (well, I refuse to, I mean)

Anyfuckerisnotguilty Sun 15-Dec-13 18:31:18

here puerto pollensa

right near the beach

GinOnTwoWheels Sun 15-Dec-13 18:34:12

I would have thought that the Canary Islands would not be as hot as the Mediterraen coasts in August. The climate is just 'nice' for most of the year link

Lots of choice too, so hopefully you can meet your budget, although flights are a little more expensive than to Malaga etc.

Costa del Sol average highs are about the same as the Canaries

but averages disguise wide variations & we've experienced well over 30 in May, June & September!

claretandamberforever Sun 15-Dec-13 18:50:10

We stayed here last year (google Villa Athena, Kos)

www.theokritostravel.gr/html/topic_5879961F-8E93-4D08-AD5E-981EF6CC1296_35C1A561-32F0-47B6-8EA7-ED149A0934B8_1.htm

I think it was £350 plus £50 for air con.

It's also on the owner's direct website with more photos. Small but nice. Lovely resort, small and quiet but as the island is so small you can get a taxi reasonably priced to any other town. Plenty of bars and restaurants. Gorgeous place.

If you like it and have any questions just ask.

I think flights in August last year were nearly £1400 for four of us

ihatethecold Sun 15-Dec-13 19:48:15

I don't really have a budget as yet.
My car was written off this week by a uninsured driver so I have to find money to replace my car first.
I suppose 1k for flights. £500 for accommodation.
Then some for a car and spends.

I think I'm going to Cornwall!
Much more affordable.

Anyfucker: those apartments (for 4 people) are 250 Euros per day in August, so well past the 500 quid the OP has got.

Past the 500 quid for the week, I meant

Sorry , it was 210 euros per day, not 250. But still.....

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sun 15-Dec-13 19:52:31

Owners direct is a great website and haggle with the owners. we do!

Where do you live? Is driving to N/mid France out of the question?

Bloodyteenagers Sun 15-Dec-13 19:58:03

£1000 for flights might also be doable, depend really on where you are flying from and when.
For the flights look at sky scanner, but I don't think the cheap tickets are out yet.. Don't think I have ever paid more than £180 each to fly to Alicante.

OP: hope you're ok. That's terrible! Really annoying for you having to fork out for that.

Bloody teenagers: really? In August? Ours to alicante were nearly a grand for 4 with easyjet this year, and that was on day they were released. They have gone up a LOT, hope you are not disappointed by prices when it comes to booking.

HanneHolm Sun 15-Dec-13 20:03:59

we used holiday lettings happily twice

HanneHolm Sun 15-Dec-13 20:04:45

mobile home, sea view, Loire Atlantique - 530 a week on campsite with pool (& other facilities, presumably}

Mid Aug available

Not a bad drive. We've done Lancs to Med coast in the past (in one go, once, though wouldn't like to make a habit of it)

That's £1900 in August, HanneHolm!

HanneHolm Sun 15-Dec-13 20:08:25

and this is nice too
pool not as convenient www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/st-jean-d-angely/180502

HanneHolm Sun 15-Dec-13 20:08:41

yes but you share with others - its huge - take another family

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now