Is it possible to hire a villa/apartment in Europe for £500 in August?

(78 Posts)
ihatethecold Sat 14-Dec-13 20:22:21

Want to have a week in Europe next August, am open to where.
Not too lively, family friendly.
For four of us. Me ,DH,DS 14 and DD10.

I had a look at porta pollensa but it was ££££

Which countries offer the best value?
France, Spain Italy etc.

Needs to be close to a beach and a pool.

I'm asking for too much aren't I?

derektheladyhamster Sat 14-Dec-13 20:25:07

yes, look at holiday lettings. we're going to Neja in Spain for less than £500 (flights are another £900 though!)

Mintyy Sat 14-Dec-13 20:28:56

£500 a week? I doubt it.

RupertTheBear Sat 14-Dec-13 20:32:23

Look at the Atlantic coast of Portugal - highly recommend foz do arelho - very cheap.

ihatethecold Sat 14-Dec-13 21:16:16

I've been to the algarve about 10 years ago and loved the beaches.
Don't know Spain very well, only really know Barcelona.

Been to loads of places in Italy but only on caravan sites. I know they will be heaving in August.
I will look at the 2 recommendations on here.
Thanks

Felix90 Sat 14-Dec-13 21:24:52

Not sure if it's a bit far but we rented a villa for a week in Lanzarote, first week of September for around £500. It was beautiful! Had its own private pool and two rooms - one double and a twin. Big wrap around balcony with views of the sea and mountains upstairs and huge living area and kitchen. Look up Villas del Mar in Puerto Calero grin

I'd definitely go back! It's very cheap when you get there for food from the supermarket and loads to do for kids. We also hired a car for the week for £90 and petrol was so so cheap.

ihatethecold Sat 14-Dec-13 21:43:12

Wouldn't it be mega hot in august in lanzarote?

SwedishEdith Sat 14-Dec-13 21:43:51

Try HomeAway. I think you'll find loads if you're ready to book now

You might be better to check the flights first as depending how many is in your party - that's what really adds to the cost. Canaries might be a reasonable option Summers not peak season so I don't think prices go up as much.

Jackthebodiless Sat 14-Dec-13 22:00:17

We did extensive research on this earlier this year and the cheapest places we found are Menorca and Lanzarote. I would agree Lanza will be too hot so would recommend Menorca. We usually book via Owners Direct.

Felix90 Sat 14-Dec-13 22:11:09

Actually it might be quite hot. Didn't think of that! We went the first week of September and I hate the heat usually but as it's a windy island it doesn't actually feel as hot as it actually is, if that makes sense? One day it got up to 39 degrees but it certainly didn't feel like it. I agree though, check the price of flights as we booked late and it was quite expensive.

Most places are too hot for us and we go in July - Scottish school hols. We normally end up in France as we love it,but also because Majorca,Tuscany,Portugal have all proved to be too hot. Not a beach holiday though unless you fly to Nice - you might be able to do that and find a private caravan to rent within budget.

mousmous Sun 15-Dec-13 09:15:48

baltic sea of poland.
around gedansk or sobot.
beautiful country, the most amazing sandy beaches.

Janek Sun 15-Dec-13 09:16:37

what about somewhere like croatia? we went to dubrovnik a few years ago and it was lovely, no beaches but right by the sea and it wasn't very expensive. the whole country is coast!

Theincidental Sun 15-Dec-13 09:18:00

I did last year. Beautiful place near La Rochelle. £500 a week in August.

Check homelidays website and abritel as there was quite a bit of choice in that price bracket.

Janek Sun 15-Dec-13 09:19:27
Artandco Sun 15-Dec-13 09:23:40

Go to cheaper countries. Romania/ Bulgaria/ Ukraine/ Poland. All have lovely coasts and great weather in august. Food/ eating out and excursions will all be cheaper also

specialsubject Sun 15-Dec-13 11:08:13

if heat is a problem don't go to the Med or southern Europe in August.

Spain seems to be cheaper than France & Italy to live in (food etc) & car hire is very cheap but agree that you wouldn't want to be in S Spain in August!

Northern Spain, maybe - this place is €459 a week high season

Dunno how easy or cheap it would be to get there though

ihatethecold Sun 15-Dec-13 12:57:15

The Spanish one is 100 km from the airport and 16 km to the beach.
The Croatian one scares me!
I'm sure Dubrovnik is beautiful but I don't fancy the let.
We definately need a pool.
We don't mind heat, just not lanzarote boiling heat in mid summer.
Thanks everyone for your comments so far.

Does it have to be coastal? If it has a pool it could be inland?

ihatethecold Sun 15-Dec-13 13:04:14

Yes it needs to be near a beach,
Our hol will probably consist of eating swimming and beaching.
All my kids want out of a hol is to swim and mess about on a beach.

ihatethecold Sun 15-Dec-13 13:05:24

The alternative is going to Cornwall , which I love but every year it rains and then rains some more.
Every frigging august!

Near a beach with a pool for £500 in August is a big ask!

What about inland near a lake (with beach)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now