Help! Qantas/Emirates has our 2 yr old is sitting on their own

(27 Posts)
fashionistamummy Thu 12-Dec-13 11:36:55

We are flying to Dubai then Sydney tomorrow morning on a Qantas booked flight code sharing with Emirates with a 2 year old and a 3 month baby. We booked our flights back in April and then requested a bassinet when we booked the 3 month old babies flights (these can only be booked after they are born) and when I called Qantas to check our seats I discovered not only do we did not have a bassinet but none of us are sitting together including the 2 year old. They could not explain how this happened and they said there was nothing they could do about this so I rang Emrites who did not seem to have the request on the system for the bassinet and said they could not do anything about the seating as flight was full and to talk to Qantas about stuffing up on the bassinet request not being in the system. Basically no one was helpful as clearly Qantas has made a mistake and the airlines are just blaming each other.

I am obviously furious and concerned about safety issues, the big one being the 2 year old sitting alone followed by a 3 month old not being able to lie down for about 23 hours of flights.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Are the airlines legally allowed to have a 2 year old sit on their own away from their parents? We are going to the airport tomorrow to deal directly with people there but would appreciate any advice on how to handle a very disturbing situation.

Also if anyone has had a long haul flight with a very young baby on their lap the whole trip would appreciate any advice on how to lie them down so they can sleep….it looks like I will be sitting in the middle of strangers away from my family so cant lift up armrests to lie her down properly.

Ninasaurus Mon 16-Dec-13 21:04:19

Can I ask if there were bassinettes and if yes, how old the babies were who got them on the first flight to Dubai?

I'm a little shocked that on a qantas flight a bassinette didn't get given to your 3 month old, considering that they have a policy of allocating bassinettes to the youngest infants regardless of when tickets were booked shock

I'm glad you got one for the long haul smile

CallMeNancy Mon 16-Dec-13 11:31:56

Great news.

fashionistamummy Mon 16-Dec-13 07:44:22

Thank you for everyone taking the time for all the advice and tips.

Hours before we left someone suggested tweeting to Qantas...well basically after a tweet and a few people kindly re-tweeting Qantas contacted me and in a few minutes they had us all sitting together (I had spent several hours on the phone to both Qantas and Emirates to be told that they could do nothing). We also got the bassinet seats together on the 13 1/2 hour leg between Dubai and Sydney so an amazing result (the seats right at the front with loads of leg room which made my husband very happy).

Thanks again!

Hope I'm not too late, they won't leave your two year old on their own so don't worry about that. And as for the baby, what used to work for me with my three was to rest the baby on my legs, with their heads towards my knees and their legs to my tummy. So basically their body was running the length of my thighs. You can make it more comfortable with blankets, swaddling if you like and it is really easy to rock them side to side to soothe them. If they are long their legs can go up or around your body and it is a bonus as you can keep their seatbelt on so don't need to disturb them in turbulence. Just keep a bag or something you don't mind resting your feet on under your chair if you have little legs. Good luck have a fun flight.

sleepywombat Fri 13-Dec-13 05:51:48

We didn't get a bassinette for first leg of our trip from Aus to UK. The travel agent who booked it for us had made a mistake. Our baby was on our laps & the stewards who came round said silly things like 'he should be in a bassinette' (there were none free and we'd fought with the people at the desks for ages)! He actually slept more on our laps than he did the whole of the rest of the journey in the bassinette.

Agree re the 2 yo though - they will move somebody around for you once you get on the plane.

Ninasaurus Fri 13-Dec-13 05:37:57

Let us know you you get on smile

Ninasaurus Fri 13-Dec-13 05:34:37

I'm confused. Is it a qantas flight?

If yes then regardless of when you booked the youngest babies on qantas are allocated bassinettes. Regardless of when the tickets were booked. Confirm this with them as soon as possible as there would be a very good chance a 3 month old will be the youngest on the flight smile

If your flying with emirates you may be out of luck as when I last researched this all airlines I looked into had a first booked, first allocated policy with bassinettes sad which I think is very wrong as young babies clearly need bassinettes more than older babies, especially babies in the 1-2 year old age group who often don't even fit in the bassinette angry

Please don't worry about the 2 year old sitting alone. This would never happen!!! And will be sorted out when you check in. Although your family may be split up, but this can also have benefits as you can swap seats etc and provide a fresh parent to entertain the toddler etc.

Sunnysummer Fri 13-Dec-13 04:56:09

Sounds like good advice with the booking.

We did this flight with a 4 month old and actually he utterly refused to go in the bassinet, so our outcome was the same - I used our ergo sling, he slept in there, and passed him over to DH whenever they were both awake smile Soft slings can be great but ended up being too much of a pain for us as you have to take the sling off for checkin, take the baby out for takeoff, take baby out and strap in with turbulence etc - much easier to be able to click them in and out of a structured sling, plus I was less concerned about falling asleep and accidentally smothering him confused Hope you have a good flight in the end!

MrsTerrysChocolateOrange Fri 13-Dec-13 04:04:33

I wanted to suggest this but looks like I might have been too late. Good luck.

BobbyGentry Fri 13-Dec-13 03:57:12

How did it go? Were you upgraded? Offered free flight mileage compensation? Good luck x

(My friend has 5 kids and her husband always books seats apart as they then get good wrangling ability at changing seats and getting more space/upgrades/compensation - must take some nerve though.)

mateysmum Thu 12-Dec-13 16:43:46

I've been flying with Emirates for 10 years and I'm sure they will sort this out for you.The bassinet might be tricky as there are limited locations available on the plane.
If you check in on line, you should be able to select seats. If there aren't enough available together, tell them at check in and if that doesn't work, speak to the purser on board. They are not going to leave a 2 yr old on her own for 8 hrs. Quantas seems to have cocked up big time.

fashionistamummy Thu 12-Dec-13 16:37:03

Thanks for all the advice and tips...feeling a lot calmer. Have a babasling, feeding pillow (she likes to lie on that), feeding bib (in case I cant move and wedged between strangers) all ready...hopefully they will be able to sort this out tomorrow. I think you are all right about everyone want to swap when they see they are next to a 2 year old!

misshoohaa Thu 12-Dec-13 14:10:24

They'll sort it at the airport and you'll likely end up with a bassinet, we've done it a few times and even when DS was 23 months they offered a bassinet, the air hostesses onboard are much more helpful in person and they'll swap you around even if the check in staff don't.

SconeForAStroll Thu 12-Dec-13 14:04:38

Don't worry - has caused all kinds of fun and games for us since it started! Dh has frequent flyer cards with them both and has had major issues - booking an Emirates flight - they don't mind about number of cases as long as under limit - ended up on a qantas flight and they allow only one bag. Ended up paying excess baggage!

outtolunchagain Thu 12-Dec-13 13:54:53

As far away not as get away !

outtolunchagain Thu 12-Dec-13 13:54:07

Sorry didn't realise that , we are on two flights but have managed to book both lots , although as things stand at the moment I would like to be as get away from my teenagers and dh as possible as they are driving me spareangry

SconeForAStroll Thu 12-Dec-13 12:53:47

outtolunch - the qantas/emirate sharing thingummy is not a straightforward one. They have different luggage allowances for one thing, and will not always allow seats to be booked no matter how far in advance one tries to.

I would try to get there nice and early tomorrow so that they have time to shuffle things around, fashionista - pretty sure it will get sorted. If it is an emirates flight then the staff are fab normally.

HerrenaHarridan Thu 12-Dec-13 12:50:01

People will swap so as not to sit next to your 2yo

A wrap sling for the 3 mo

Enjoy your holiday smile

lljkk Thu 12-Dec-13 12:37:08

Just turn up early & let your 2yo run around like a terror for a while, they'll be all to keen to quarantine your party from others. fwink

fashionistamummy Thu 12-Dec-13 12:31:20

Thanks for the advice, hoping someone at check-in or gate will see sense or worst case, a passenger will not want a long haul flight next to toddler and baby. Regarding booking seats, our flights were booked with Qantas so all seat requests were made with them (Qantas is code sharing on Emirates flights) so it looks like this was not put through correctly at the Qantas end.

outtolunchagain Thu 12-Dec-13 12:02:25

We are flying with Emirates today , we booked in April and went online and booked out seats in August , why did you not book your seats then ?

When you check in you get the option to change your seat allocation so you might be OK , otherwise I am sure they will sort out at the airport .

CallMeNancy Thu 12-Dec-13 12:00:00

Actually, if baby can manage a well timed shitexplosion, the people sitting next to you will all request a move, leaving you 3 seats to yourself. thanks DD

CallMeNancy Thu 12-Dec-13 11:56:47

And the baby titchy

titchy Thu 12-Dec-13 11:55:59

I'm guessing that the very second you sit your 2 year old in their seat, then move along the plane to your seats, the person sitting next to your 2 year old will immediately offer to swap with you. Particularly if you leave them with a sick bag grin

CallMeNancy Thu 12-Dec-13 11:55:38

They will sort it at the airport. Bassinets may have all gone, but your 2 year old won't be left alone. if she is, suggest she has the baby, & you have a very peaceful flight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now