Help! Qantas/Emirates has our 2 yr old is sitting on their own

(27 Posts)
fashionistamummy Thu 12-Dec-13 11:36:55

We are flying to Dubai then Sydney tomorrow morning on a Qantas booked flight code sharing with Emirates with a 2 year old and a 3 month baby. We booked our flights back in April and then requested a bassinet when we booked the 3 month old babies flights (these can only be booked after they are born) and when I called Qantas to check our seats I discovered not only do we did not have a bassinet but none of us are sitting together including the 2 year old. They could not explain how this happened and they said there was nothing they could do about this so I rang Emrites who did not seem to have the request on the system for the bassinet and said they could not do anything about the seating as flight was full and to talk to Qantas about stuffing up on the bassinet request not being in the system. Basically no one was helpful as clearly Qantas has made a mistake and the airlines are just blaming each other.

I am obviously furious and concerned about safety issues, the big one being the 2 year old sitting alone followed by a 3 month old not being able to lie down for about 23 hours of flights.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Are the airlines legally allowed to have a 2 year old sit on their own away from their parents? We are going to the airport tomorrow to deal directly with people there but would appreciate any advice on how to handle a very disturbing situation.

Also if anyone has had a long haul flight with a very young baby on their lap the whole trip would appreciate any advice on how to lie them down so they can sleep….it looks like I will be sitting in the middle of strangers away from my family so cant lift up armrests to lie her down properly.

CallMeNancy Mon 16-Dec-13 11:31:56

Great news.

Ninasaurus Mon 16-Dec-13 21:04:19

Can I ask if there were bassinettes and if yes, how old the babies were who got them on the first flight to Dubai?

I'm a little shocked that on a qantas flight a bassinette didn't get given to your 3 month old, considering that they have a policy of allocating bassinettes to the youngest infants regardless of when tickets were booked shock

I'm glad you got one for the long haul smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now