Hold luggage for a mini break?

(24 Posts)
eurochick Sun 15-Dec-13 19:33:38

I generally choose to check a bag. Decanting toiletries into teeny bottles is a pain.

Also the silly wall hair dryers some hotels have will not blast my wavy hair into submission, so I will take my own hair dryer unless I know the hotel supplies decent ones. And that takes up a lot of room.

GinOnTwoWheels Sun 15-Dec-13 19:30:17

I could do up to a week on hand luggage only but I don't wear make up or use lots of beauty products. I would also mix and match items and wear the same thing more than once

Biggest difficulty would be being restricted to airside for any cheap foreign booze purchases on the way back but I don't think it's worth paying for hold luggage for that reason only.

Janek Sun 15-Dec-13 15:09:18

We are planning on going away for ten days over christmas with just hand luggage. We each have one of these which holds 44 litres - this is a lot, certainly x4 it is. And father christmas will be making his deliveries while we're away too...

MirandaWest Sun 15-Dec-13 15:01:08

I travelled on easy jet for a weeks holiday with just hand luggage. And out my handbag inside that bag. Was no problem.

specialsubject Sun 15-Dec-13 14:59:01

duh...make that 'handbag fits in CABIN bag'.

specialsubject Sun 15-Dec-13 14:58:47

oh, and the handbag has to fit in the hold bag, but that's easy too.

specialsubject Sun 15-Dec-13 14:58:14

liquids rules are 100ml max of stuff, (inc all slap) in a plastic bag. Plenty of room for four days of stuff. Even more so if hotel provides toiletries.

OP doesn't need four different outfits for evenings out. Four t-shirts, a couple of pairs of trousers, walking shoes (wear on plane), evening shoes. underwear etc, job done.

aviation fuel costs and it is wasteful to lug too much about. That's why airlines charge extra for those who do.

MillyMollyMama Sat 14-Dec-13 22:47:46

I could not just take carry on! However you need to be aware of the Easy Jet rules as my daughter was caught out recently. They have two sizes of cabin luggage. One reasonable and the size all the other airlines use, and the guaranteed carry on size which is smaller. At Luton my daughter had a fold flat shoulder bag too. She was allowed on the flight, no problem. Returning from Majorca, she was told to put the shoulder bag into the carry on suitcase. It was the larger "we reserve the right to put this in the hold" size of suitcase and by adding the shoulder bag they said it exceeded the dimensions they would allow as carry on. She tried to explain that this was not an issue on the way out, but they said that if she did not pay up £40 they would refuse to put her and her bag on the plane . They threatened to leave her behind. The gate was closing and she had run out of cash. They may have quite nice staff here, but be warned, abroad can be very different. My daughter is 18 and was travelling alone.
So be very aware your guaranteed cabin bag is the smallest size and has nothing to do with weight. It is dimensions. Book the hold luggage and take nice shoes and clothes. It is a holiday for adults not backpackers! (I assume!!) Easy Jet can seriously ruin your holiday! Needless to say we will never, ever, fly with them again. I also like a choice of clean clothes!

lanbro Sat 14-Dec-13 07:23:08

I went to new Zealand for a fortnight with carry on! Dh and I shared a suitcase when we went to turkey for a week. I can never understand why people take so much on holiday!

Waswondering Fri 13-Dec-13 22:46:26
Waswondering Fri 13-Dec-13 22:46:04

See this: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/05/06/business/businessspecial/20100506-pack-ss.html?_r=0. Problem solved. Her technique works! But note she omits underwear!!!

Have a great trip!

MarianForrester Fri 13-Dec-13 22:42:59

I've done two weeks with hand luggage only. A

notthefirstagainstthewall Fri 13-Dec-13 22:28:56

Maybe, but having done it numerous times I'm stick of the crushed clothes lack of shoe options and usually leaving out something vital to my capsule wardrobe.
I'm happy to pay now or go BA (although only taking hand luggage for an upcoming weekend trip to Barcelona!!). I'd never do it for a 4 night stay though.

notthefirst - I just brought a small shoulder bag, then fitted that in the cabin bag for check in - it was no bother.

CMOTDibbler Wed 11-Dec-13 22:25:36

Worst thing with cabin baggage only these days is the liquid restrictions. Before that, I could easily do a business trip for a week on hand luggage only

notthefirstagainstthewall Wed 11-Dec-13 22:21:11

I think you're crazy too. If you really think you can do five days of day clothes and evening stuff in hand luggage then good for you.

It's a holiday - take nice stuff to change into, take nice make up and products take accessories.

And you will be using ONE bag all holiday (Easyjet only let you carry on one item).Do you want a cabin bag as a handbag for the duration?

Allegrogirl Wed 11-Dec-13 12:47:06

Thanks all. They looked at me as if I was crazy for taking hand luggage only. I'll still have to wait for their baggage but save myself £29. Will stop me over buying gifts for the kids.

specialsubject Tue 10-Dec-13 18:48:24

of course it is doable with cabin luggage.

let your friends lug their crap if they want, as long as you don't pay for it. You'll have to wait while they do baggage reclaim but that's not too much hassle.

JoinTheDots Tue 10-Dec-13 11:17:38

Carry on only! We just did this Friday to Monday type trip, had loads of room in the cases for a couple of extras we brought while away and it was so much faster through the airport. We did have a toddler with us though so speed was very much an important factor since going on a plane always has a certain amount of sitting around and queuing, which my toddler struggles with!

Artandco Tue 10-Dec-13 11:12:45

Do carry on def. we easily manage fri- mon trips with x2 handluggage for x2 adults, x2 toddlers

noramum Tue 10-Dec-13 11:00:20

It depends what I need to take with me. I recently did 3 days for work and with 3 outfits and clothes for the evening the suitcase was 3/4 full.

It also means I can take my normal shampoo, bodylotion etc as I find it hard to get them in small containers.

For 3 days with friends I would still take three things for days and extras for going out, one more pair of shoes etc. Hold luggage here I come.

And I love to bring things back with me.

whereisshe Mon 09-Dec-13 22:52:27

For anything less that a week I always try to do carry on, both for speed through the airport and to not have heavy stuff to lug around at the other end. But if the others you're with are checking luggage there's not much point since you'll be stuck at the luggage carousel with them anyway...

Hi Allegrogirl - recently did 3 night city break with friends, 2 did hold luggage and 2 of us just brought bags onto the plane.

Clothes wise I was fine - it was a warm destination and my selection worked fine for day and night.

It depends if you think you want to buy things - I got DS a cuddly toy and would have liked to buy more but was restricted by space, also couldn't buy any bottles of wine.

I was hoping my friends might have brought big cases, but they didn't so couldn't sneak anything into theirs. You could suggest going halves on the luggage cost with someone - not sure if the Easyjet allowance is 15kg or 20kg, but half of that coupled with your 10kg hand luggage would be more than enough.

Allegrogirl Mon 09-Dec-13 22:40:14

I'm going on a four night city break in the spring with 3 friends on Easyjet. I had assumed we would manage with cabin luggage for that short time but friends all want to pay extra for hold luggage. It will only be my second time away in over 6 years since having DCs. Am I really out of touch? Last time we went way, me DH and DC1 aged 2 we had one back pack and a car seat between us.

Is it doable to survive 4 nights with cabin luggage only?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now