Flying long haul with baby and child

(3 Posts)
Mizza29 Mon 25-Nov-13 11:46:26

Hello. We are flying to Australia with my 7 month old and 4 yr old. Can anyone offer any advice as I am nervous about the flight and jet lag. What are the 'do not forget' items for the place? Should we try and keep Uk schedule for as long as possible or adopt Aussie one asap eg on the flight? Any hints gratefully received! Thanks

Crutchlow35 Mon 25-Nov-13 18:53:05

If you are not on a night flight out of the UK change your flights so you are. Hopefully then both children should sleep.

Jetlag, you just need to get on with it. Who are you flying with?

MaggieW Mon 25-Nov-13 19:14:09

Don't be nervious - you need to submit to whatever time your DCs get into on the plane and not get stressed - easier said than done. Night flights are essential in my book, and make sure you try to sleep when the children are. For 7mo, take car seat on board - esp if it's a reclining one. Book seats away from the other children and at the quieter back of the plane, esp if you take car seat and don't need basinette for 7mo.

Sachets of Calpol, Nurofen and a small bottle of age-appropriate anti-histamine also essential. My DD has ended up with rashes each time we've flown to NZ - think the dry air didn't help.

Ask for assistance at whichever airport you're changing flights at. Assistance arrivivng into the UK is next to useless, but abroad it's amazing.

In terms of entertainment, little sticker-scene books (where you can change scene) always went down well. Triangular pencils or crayons (so they don't roll off the tray) with paper. Wipes for cleaning trays and windows, TV screens etc provided lots of entertainment!!

Re jet lag, again you need to go with the flow. Try to get them into local time, even if it means a quick nap during the day to get them through to normal bedtime. On the plane there are so many announcements, lights, dinners, things going on, that they may take some time to go to sleep. On one light my 8 mo DS was awake for 9 hours straight - a man in the next aisle helpfully said it was because I wasn't praying hard enough!!! Anyway, please don't worry. It will take you a few days to sort yourselves out time-wise, but the children will probably be into the groove long before you! Have fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now