New York - general advice please!

(6 Posts)
Flatasawitchestit Tue 19-Nov-13 09:38:26

I'm away to NYC next week. Very excited.

I'd like ant tips on what to squeeze into 3 days, its thanksgiving on the Thursday so we want to see the parades. Any one have any tips where to stand? Also we want to do Black Friday, any tips on the best stores?

I also want to go to a grocery store and get some candy for the kids, and some spices I can't get here. There will be some won't there ( that makes me sound mega thick I know!)

Also we'd like to go to a bar one night, nothing flashy just a proper down to earth New York bar, any recommendations?

joydivisionovengloves Tue 19-Nov-13 16:06:18

There'll be plenty of grocery stores. As for Black Friday I guess it depends what you are after so pick a store that stocks what you are looking for but prepare for it to be busy! Bloomingdales or Macy's might be a good place to start.

My favourite bar is Flight 151 on 8th Ave in Chelsea. It's cheap, does food and has a fantastic jukebox. It also has brown paper table cloths and crayons provided which tend to bring out your inner child after a few drinks.

Have a great time!grin

JennySense Wed 20-Nov-13 13:42:25

There are a couple of massive Wholefoods stores in NYC which are fab!
You can pick interesting candy up from most places - my daughter used to love me coming back with that!
yy to Macys/Bloomingdales for starters.

Flatasawitchestit Thu 21-Nov-13 10:35:41

Brilliant thank you.

Does anyone have experience of taxis from Newark to Times Square, better to book in advance or just grab one when we arrive?

ctaylorVL Thu 21-Nov-13 11:15:52

As far as what the majority says e.g. www.alphatravelinsurance.co.uk/blog/new-york-city-on-a-shoestring/ - I think it's always just a case of flagging down a yellow cab anywhere in the city! Have fun smile

Have done that taxi journey you will soon be doing.

At Newark there is a yellow taxi stand with despatchers who will sort the cab out for you (they should also give you an idea of the cost together with a receipt). Look for the signs stating "Ground Transportation".

Info on the Macys Thanksgiving parade:-

social.macys.com/parade/?cm_mmc=VanityUrl-_-parade-_-n-_-n

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now