Abroad in July

(8 Posts)
Shoutymomma Fri 15-Nov-13 17:10:04

Suggestions please for a family holiday abroad at the end of July, girls aged 9 and 11, somewhere sunny but not unbearably hot.

homebythesea Fri 15-Nov-13 18:12:19

That's a pretty wide open question! Would be helpful to have an idea of budget, type of accommodation required, distance you are willing to travel (France or Australia wink), mode of transport (any flight-phobes?)

Shoutymomma Fri 15-Nov-13 18:43:36

2 weeks max, packages fine if not too 'holiday camp', as happy in a tent as a hotel, must be swimming on site, max distance Florida, budget undecided but we are expecting to be ripped off, being tied to school hols. Have always camped in the UK during the summer since having the kids, so looking for as many suggestions as poss.

homebythesea Fri 15-Nov-13 18:52:42

Florida v hot and sticky that time of year so if it's your DC's first time anywhere properly hot I wouldn't advise it- in any event the highest proportion of cost is likely to be flights (anywhere you go) and you are likely to spend several thousands if that's your destination

So...! If I were you I would stick to The trad holiday destinations of Balearics, France, Portugal etc. I have found that villas with pools rented direct from owners are way cheaper than hotels and give you great flexibility with the kids. Try www.homeaway.com or www.ownersdirect.co.uk. James Villas will do the whole package for you incl flights- we have found them very good too. Or you could camp with Eurocamp et al with the possibility if driving there and therefore dramatically cutting costs

Shoutymomma Sun 17-Nov-13 12:47:35

Brilliant, thanks. That's exactly the type of advice I'm after. We love camping and the girls are great at popping off, meeting new pals and playing while we veg out.

EmmaP1 Mon 18-Nov-13 13:10:54

If you want the girls to be able to make new friends easily and go off and play then a villa would not really be suitable as then you're on your own and they wouldn't meet anyone.
Ownersdirect isn't a bad option though as you can sometimes find apartments etc on complex's that would be good and would probably find other children there too.
I would suggest Majorca (Alcudia, Sa Coma, Santa Ponsa are all family friendly), Ibiza (Santa Eulalia and Es Cana), the Algarve ( Vilamoura, Praia da rocha, Alvor) or Mainland Spain( Tossa da Mar, Benalmadena, La Pineda) are all good choices. Greece and Turkey are very hot at that time of year and although I love these areas and have taken my daughter a few times I would probably advise against it if you aren't used to it.
Another good choice is PortAventura in Spain, we went with PortaventuraHolidays a couple of years ago and stayed in La Pineda, my daughter loved it and there was plenty to do in the theme park, waterpark and Barcelona was close by too so we even visited there.

Sieveoooplay Tue 19-Nov-13 12:31:41

Would second the Portaventura suggestion. We went a couple of years ago too and stayed at the Hotel Portaventura which was lovely. Its not close to the beach although you can get a little land train from right outside the park.

Shoutymomma Tue 19-Nov-13 18:27:19

Thanks, will have a good look at Portaventura (water park would be a real hit with girls). Not a fan of Majorca myself (mediocre experience of a holiday there) but do like Menorca. Have to say, Eurocamp is looking good. Bet there is a dedicated thread... will go look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now