How much spending money for all inclusive in Cape Verde?

(7 Posts)
GlitteredPinecones Thu 14-Nov-13 14:23:55

I don't know if there are any cash points where we are staying so want to take all the money that we'll need (going for 1 week). It is all inclusive but apparently we have to pay some sort of hotel tax (anyone know how much this will be?) Also want some money for gifts or whatever but have no idea how much to take? Never been all inclusive before so have no idea really.

Any help appreciated, thank you smile

GlitteredPinecones Tue 19-Nov-13 08:11:53

Bump smile

GlitteredPinecones Wed 27-Nov-13 08:53:08

Bumping again smile Plus I was wondering if anyone knows about the hotel tax thing? How much is it and when does it have to be paid? Is it all at the start, all at the end or daily? confused Thanks.

Crownjewel Wed 27-Nov-13 09:54:25

Hi Pinecones, I went or a fortnight all inclusive back in 2007, I can't remember anything about hotel tax though (maybe it wasn't applicable back then, or maybe it was included in the travel agent's price?) Best to check with your agent I'd say.

Re spending money, depending on which island you'll be staying on I guess! I stayed on Sal and found I didn't need that much because there was very little to do outside the complex - there were some lovely boat/snorkel day trips and one around the island in a 4x4, for between £50-£100 each, other than that I remember that there were helicopter trips to other islands but they were really expensive so I didn't bother.

HTH x

GlitteredPinecones Wed 27-Nov-13 10:14:35

Thanks for your reply Crownjewel smile. I've just found this about the tax-

"We would like to inform you that as of the 1st of May, 2013, the Cape Verde Islands will apply a new tourist tax of 220 CVD (approximately 2 EUR) per person per night, up to a maximum of 10 days. This tax has to be paid directly in the hotel by all guests that are 16 years old or older. This tax was established by the government of the Cape Verde Islands and published in the law 23/VIII/2013 of December 31st, 2012. The hotel acts only as intermediary in the collection of this tax."

I guess they'll request it when we check in/out then.

We'll be staying on Boa Vista. I think we'll take a couple hundred perhaps, for day trips or whatever. I just don't want to get there to need more money and have no access to cash machines.

GlitteredPinecones Wed 27-Nov-13 10:19:23

Crown, can I ask which currency you took? I've just seen that it's best to take sterling or euros and change there? Where did you change it? Sorry for all the questions blush

Crownjewel Wed 27-Nov-13 16:06:21

No worries Pinecones. Forgot to mention that part - they took Cape Verde Escudos when I went, so I'm not sure what a CVD is - but I was 'reliably' informed by the agent that everywhere accepted US$ (hotel, the few local bars, tour guides) so changed £s to $ beforehand, thinking that any leftover dollars would be easier to sell back on my return. When I got there, nowhere at all took US$ (or anything except CV escudos), so ended up being stung at the hotel reception exchanging US$ to escudos at a crappy rate (and paying commission on top hmm). It may be different on Boa Vista though, especially now, so check before you change any money!

Have a lovely time x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now