Tenerife, january, any recommendations?

(9 Posts)
Branleuse Wed 13-Nov-13 13:42:11

Hi, Ive booked flights to Tenerife for the middle of january for a bit of winter sun. Havent booked accomodation yet, and theres so many options. It will be without children. Just me and dp

Im after something thats not in the main touristy bit. Id quite like to be nearish to a beach, or if not, then nice mountains. Somewhere with a nice view smile

Would quite like a swimming pool or hot tub/spa, but if there are other swimming places nearby then its not essential.

Would quite like it to NOT be a massive high rise hotel or resort, unless its super lovely.

would like to be somewhere where its within reach of being able to go dolphin/whale watching, and Id like to be able to go and explore the volcanoey bit one day

anyone got any ideas??

mummymeister Wed 13-Nov-13 19:08:00

have you had a look at the temperature on Tenerife in January OP? not sure its going to be warm enough to swim outside the average will be 15 degrees so not winter chilly but not beach weather either. you will find it very quiet so worth checking that the things you want to do are going to be open.

specialsubject Wed 13-Nov-13 21:13:06

is this a different Tenerife?

I've been twice in January. Night time average is 15 C, daytime is 20/21. Sea there is never boiling (not the tropics) but fine for swimming. Great beach weather, just off Africa so slap on the suncream.

It is a year-round place and everything was open. What you don't get are the kiddy-drunks who are there in August, but only in the centre of Las Americas. The Costa Adeje area or Los Cristianos will meet your requirements. The higher bits command glorious sunset views to La Gomera. Check the map and make sure you aren't right by the TF-1 motorway but most places are far enough away.

there is a good bus service, you can do a day trip to Las Canadas (the volcano park) with that, or hire a car.

member Wed 13-Nov-13 21:23:18

Miraverde/Fanabe/Costa Adeje area. Unfortunately the South of Tenerife is quite built up because of its proximity to beaches.

Branleuse Thu 14-Nov-13 11:29:25

I don't mind if its not boiling and I wont be devastated if we cant swim. I am seriously hoping for mild weather and blue skies at least though.

Thanks for those tips, I will check out those areas

EmmaP1 Mon 18-Nov-13 13:19:15

Tenerife should be warm at that time of year, as specialsubject as already said it's a year round destination and lots of people go there in winter to get much needed sunshine!
Try the Panoramica Heights in Costa Adeje if you want nice views or the Grand Callao is another good choice, a bit further from the beach but they had a bus twice a day last time we went and there's an onsite spa too which is fabulous!

nana4657 Tue 19-Nov-13 15:06:22

We have a place in Tenerife and are here ATM . The weather is glorious. Can easily be cloudy, any time of year. You might want to hire a car, if so autoreisen -book on line. Always used to be good.... (We now have a little car here of our own, so a bit out of date) but you can collect at the airport. Tenerife is easy to Navigate around although the locals driving leaves something to be desired, but you can then do volcano and other hidden bits of Tenerife, like Masca, which many tourists never find. There ARE sometimes storms in the winter, but they are rare and For some reason tend to be in February. Our grandchildren always had Christmas in Tenerife, and always went on the beach and in the sea on Christmas Day!

SaidFlorence Tue 19-Nov-13 15:11:17

I second Costa Adeje. Near enough to Las Americas if you do fancy a day of touristy tat stuff.
We got car hire in the summer for around 30 euro for the day. Took a trip to Puerto de la Cruz going round the motorway round the coast of the island, then came back over Mount Teide in the evening to see a spectacular sunset.

princessalbert Sat 30-Nov-13 19:18:17

Me and DH rented a villa near to Puerto de la Cruz in March.

It was very peaceful, and quiet. We could walk down into the town in about 20 minutes(and usually got a taxi back!)

It is the first time, in many visits to Tenerife, that I had ever stayed up in the north of the island - and I will be returning.

We hired a car from the airport- and the drive took about an hour. We used Autoreisen- it was all very straightforward.

Weather was great when we went-(end of March) but have been at varying times of year - Dec, Feb, September. In the winter the warm sunshine isn't guaranteed, but will usually be warm enough to take off your jumper ;) Much warmer than UK anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now