December - winter sun destination - we are pooped and need some rest and relaxation.

(15 Posts)
ZakuroFujiwara Sun 10-Nov-13 11:09:58

Hello.

I am looking for inspiration for where to go from Dec 13th/14th for 7 days to have a nice relaxing break before Christmas. We've had a crappy 6 months and now need to regroup!

Looking for somewhere beachy, not too crazy over-crowded, love the idea of tropical island but not sure about practicality of super-long flights for just one week. Have two children but tend to stay together on holiday (usual summer holiday is a villa with pool which we hardly move from for a week) rather than look for lots of other children for them to play with/kids clubs etc. Having said that they might quite like to do watersports-y stuff these days if it was on offer.

Children are 4 and 7. We're in London so can fly from either airport there. Budget in total probably £8k-ish. I want this to be a relaxing but memorable.

Does anyone have any suggestions/thoughts for this time of year?

Thanks in advance for any tips you've got smile

ZakuroFujiwara Sun 10-Nov-13 20:09:50

hopeful bump for any amateur travel agents around this evening!

beanandspud Sun 10-Nov-13 23:03:36

Haven't looked at flights or availability but how about Puerto Mogan - Play Vordial in Gran Canaria. Weather should still be good, hotel is excellent and loads of restaurants within 5mins walk of the hotel.

beanandspud Sun 10-Nov-13 23:05:30

Sorry, that should be Cordial Mogan Playa.

PurpleGirly Sun 10-Nov-13 23:27:23

Cordial Mogan playa is lovely. Also Barcelo Thalassotherapy in Fuerteventura? Or Barcelo Santiago in Los Gigantes Tenerife.

PurpleGirly Sun 10-Nov-13 23:28:01

to The Gambia for something a bit different

homebythesea Mon 11-Nov-13 13:04:03

Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Oman will give you the weather within a 6/7 hour flight, top luxury and service, water activities if you want them, spa treatments etc. Honestly it is perfect for a winter flop!

lalamumto3 Mon 11-Nov-13 13:08:33

Hi I would do Dubai or Oman, not Abu Dhabi as not as much of a holiday destination, although they have just opened a theme park. Dubai has more to do, Oman is more relaxed.

South Africa - although a week might not be long enough.

LittleSiouxieSue Mon 11-Nov-13 13:32:04

Somewhere that actually has flights that are not fully booked already! Caribbean has quite a lot of options.

MistAllChuckingFrighty Mon 11-Nov-13 13:33:12

Remember to factor in £120 per child per day for local authority fees

SteamboatSprings Mon 11-Nov-13 13:41:40

I would suggest

the Rex Grenada

It's about an 8 hour flight and with virtually no transfer once you get there. Nice & relaxing, quite a big hotel, but quiet & relaxing. Gorgeous beach, nice food and Grenada is a lovely island to visit. Beautiful, with waterfalls, a chocolate factory, rum distillery I think and a bit of history if you do a trip to the capital St Georges.

If you go with Virgin you can check out at the hotel on your last day and avoid having to leave for the airport hours early. This means a lot on a week only trip!

BuzzardBird Mon 11-Nov-13 13:44:37

Cruise the Caribbean? Very relaxing and always loads for the dc's to do.

ZakuroFujiwara Mon 11-Nov-13 21:40:20

Ooooh - these are all great suggestions - will get looking. Thank you very much all.

Mist - luckily they break up on the 13th so we don't need to factor that in! One of the reasons we are looking to go then.

MistAllChuckingFrighty Tue 12-Nov-13 07:05:49

Lucky you envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now