Berlin Christmas Markets

(11 Posts)
IDugUpADiamond Mon 04-Nov-13 16:59:07

Any of you been? Any tips for me? Going beg Dec with 9YO and 6YO. Excited!!!!!gringrin

TheLeastAccomplishedBennetGirl Mon 04-Nov-13 17:02:56

Have been, a few years ago with DH, no DCs then

it was cold, very cold! bitterly cold even

but bloody lovely when it snowed

BerstieSpotts Mon 04-Nov-13 17:07:48

Ooh I haven't been to the Berlin ones, only in West Germany, but they are magical!

Try as much "weird" food as possible.

TheLeastAccomplishedBennetGirl Mon 04-Nov-13 17:12:54

you're stuffed if you're vegetarian grin

BornOfFrustration Mon 04-Nov-13 17:17:33

I've been, bloody loved it. It was freezing and it snowed, father Christmas was there with his reindeer, there was ice skating and loads of food. You'll love it!

IDugUpADiamond Tue 05-Nov-13 09:15:14

Ooh I can't wait!!!!
And we're not vegetarians so bring in the sausages!!!!!gringrin

SpookedMackerel Tue 05-Nov-13 09:16:41

Make sure you have warm boots!

TheCrumpetQueen Tue 12-Nov-13 11:37:19

We're thinking of going but with a 11 month old! Would that be mad?

DontCallMeDaughter Tue 12-Nov-13 11:41:05

Oh you are so lucky! Second the poster who said its bloody cold. Its colder than bloody cold!

Drink a lot of Gluwine to keep warm - and we found that its sometimes served in cups that you pay for. So you can return them for a refund or keep them as a souvenier.

Have an amazing time!

lljkk Mon 16-Dec-13 20:46:24

Hit 2 today: very unimpressed with Spandau. Lots of cheap tat & nothing seemed a good price.
Quite liked the one south of Charlottenberg Palace, very atmospheric & lots of quality artesan stuff.

Really stupid thing: we did not realise that you pay a deposit for the proper ceramic mug or plate!! So we thought we were being overcharged at first (doh). Worth understanding the "plate pledge", which will be refunded.

lljkk Tue 17-Dec-13 22:38:40

update... Lucia (Scandanavian) was nice, but not as nice as Charlottenberg. Wonderful setting, though. Also went around AlexanderPlatz which was somehow the most glitzy, most diverse blend of everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now