Seychelles, mauritus or maldives?

(12 Posts)
kilmuir Mon 04-Nov-13 11:08:39

Looking at these options as a special holiday for our family. Interested in recommendations for family friendly resorts

givemeaclue Mon 04-Nov-13 12:14:20

Stayed at maritim mauritius earlier this year was fantastic. That said, Maldives and Seychelles were out of our budget , sure they have lovely places too but didn't look too closely due to cost.

kilmuir Mon 04-Nov-13 20:25:38

Did you have children with you

givemeaclue Mon 04-Nov-13 22:06:07

Yes, five year olds

Eastwickwitch Wed 06-Nov-13 16:56:11

Ive been to all 3 blush
I think the Seychelles is the most beautiful, we went island hopping for our honeymoon. But it £££
The Maldives is stunning but unless your DCs are of an age to go diving I wonder if they'd have enough to do.
Mauritius has some great hotels, with lots of sports & I think is the most family friendly. 12 hours overnight flight. We've taken our DC 5 times. PM me if you'd like hotel recommendations.

TheBookofRuth Wed 06-Nov-13 17:02:09

I've only been to the Maldives, but it really was a dream holiday. Sheer paradise. I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could.

dreamingofsun Thu 07-Nov-13 09:48:47

we liked mauritus.....though to be honest we've enjoyed other places in greece as much. the food was lovely as its a mix of so many types

cathers Thu 07-Nov-13 14:41:02

Only been to the Seychelles and Mauritius, but definitely think Mauritius is more family friendly. Seychelles are pristine and picture postcard but very expensive and I didn't find it particularly friendly.
Mauritius however seemed more up beat and welcoming.

motherstongue Fri 08-Nov-13 15:45:13

Sorry for hi-jacking but Givemeaclue I am currently looking at the Maritim in Mauritius for next year. We are taking our 16 year old DS and 10 year old DD. What is your impression regarding teens at the maritim and indeed were there any? DD no problem as she will amuse herself and make friends easily just a bit more concerned about DS.

flatmum Fri 08-Nov-13 15:56:25

I've been to the Seychelles and Maldives and agree with Eastwick pretty much, though I would take children to all 3 (though have only been to the Maldives since having children). The Seychelles is probably the most stunning, special place I've been, particularly if you like beaches. If money was no object and we had a very special occasion that is where I would go. We went before we had children and stayed in 2 hotels on Male and Praslin. The one on Male wasnt that friendly I agree and probably not child-friendly. On Praslin however (which I much prefered) we stayed at Lemuria Resort which I seem to remember had a kids club and there were children at breakfast. They were very friendly. It really is the most beautiful place I have been to. Followed closely by the Maldives where we took our eldest when he was coming up for 2. We stayed at the One&Only Resort which had a kids club and was very child friendly. I agree though, not a huge amount to do on a small island other than snorkel, dive, watersports. Not sure If I'd go again now with 3 older children who might drive each other and me mad - you would definitely need a kids club with some activities I think.

LifeTooShort Tue 12-Nov-13 15:55:49

Mauritius is unbelivably child friendly. From the minute we stepped off the plane people were falling over themselves to help us with our bags etc. so we could focus on the children. The hotels have loads of activities with wonderful kid's clubs for small children. There are lots with family friendsly rooms. Many are ultra luxurious and often are all inclusive.

Travelling to Mauritius is more straightforward than Seychelles or Maldives because it doesn't require transfers by boat/plane - you can hop in the car and be in your hotel within an hour. There is only a small time difference so no jet-lag (we keep our children on UK time (2 hours behind) so they stay up for dinner and give us a lie in in the morning) and overnight flights each way are much easier with children as you don't need to entertain them and and allow you to maximise your holiday time.

For true family friendly luxury have a look at The Resort at Anahita which is gorgeous. It often has good deals, the standard rooms are two bed suites with kitchens, lounge/dining room, terrace and private plunge pools and the kids club is run by English nannies. For eye wateringly expensive amazingness the Four Seasons is unbeatable.

Happy travels!

LifeTooShort Tue 12-Nov-13 15:57:41

Our DDs are 10 months the first time we took them and 3 the second time. It was perfect both times. I can't wait to go back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now