Cruises... Royal Caribbean or P&O?

(11 Posts)
Grockle Tue 29-Oct-13 20:24:34

Anyone got any advice?

I've been on Royal Caribbean - was fab & am looking to go again. P&O & Royal Caribbean do similar itineraries at the same time but I'm not sure which to book. I think P&O looks better but am wary of booking it when I have no idea what they are like & how child-friendly they are? The website looks promising...

I would have a look at www.cruisecritic.com as this has lots of information about the different cruise lines.

CreamyCooler Thu 31-Oct-13 10:58:51

Mumsnet also has a cruise section.

mummymeister Thu 31-Oct-13 12:27:27

my parents are regulars ( 4 or 5 times a year) in their opinion no one holds a candle to royal Caribbean.

Grockle Thu 31-Oct-13 14:02:31

Thank you - I looked but didn't see a cruise section blush

I've looked on cruisecritic & it seems that Royal Caribbean are by far the best - rooms on P&O seem smaller, their website isn't as good & lots of reviews were quite negative. Royal Caribbean it is then... need to start saving!

CreamyCooler Thu 31-Oct-13 14:44:32

I've not been on P&O but cruised with Royal Caribbean twice, NCL, Carnival and Disney. Apart from Disney which was leagues above the others I actually found them quite similar. I've only heard good things of P&O from fellow cruise passengers. I always just pick the itenary I like and then research the prices. If you are after big cabins I'd recommend Disney as their standard cabins are at least the size of mini suites on other cruise lines. I travelled on Independence if the Seas and Granduer of the seas ( Royal Caribbean) and found the cabins quite small. Although the is wasn't a problem as hardly in the room as so much going on plus didn't want to waste any eating oppurtunity.

Mummyoftheyear Thu 31-Oct-13 14:56:46

We've cruised 4 times. P& O and Cunard. Both times, the kids' clubs changed their goalposts and changed their hours (closing 12-2, 4-6) or didn't let under 1s in (Cunard) without notifying us of changes to their policy before we boarded.
I don't dump my children and run (at all). However, these changes took away all of the flexibility in our day - not to mention the creation of enormous queues to get into kids ' clubs.

Ilovefluffysheep Sat 02-Nov-13 22:16:01

Disney cruise line. Amazing! Booked our 4th cruise with them next year, which is a med cruise.

Sorry, that doesn't answer your question! Seriously though, give it some thought!

CreamyCooler Sat 02-Nov-13 22:42:34

I love Disney Cruises too. Love Magic's adult only pool and the fireworks at sea.

LittleTulip Sat 02-Nov-13 22:44:45

P&O are generally for the older crowd. I would stick with Royal Caribbean. Celebrity are also awesome

Grockle Sat 02-Nov-13 22:56:06

Ok - I think we'll stick with RC for now then. If Disney sailed from the UK, I'd consider them - maybe in a couple of years but for now, cruising from Southampton is a really easy holiday for me & since I've been ill, minimal travel is what I need. I love that we can drive to the port, get on the boat & that's it - on holiday! No long journeys, no real travel. It does limit us though.

Thank you for all your help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now