Anyone been to Egypt? Currency question.

(10 Posts)
catseverywhere Sun 27-Oct-13 16:06:26

Hi, all. My partner and I and 6 adult offspring (why??) are off to Egypt in a couple of weeks. We understand the currency there is the Egyptian pound but have been advised also to take US dollars for tipping, as Egyptian pounds come in large denominations. Is that the experience of anyone else who has been there?

TIA

4yoniD Sun 27-Oct-13 16:34:20

It was a fair while since I was there but I thought they just preferred american dollars?

SidandAndyssextoy Mon 28-Oct-13 11:39:15

When I was there you could get single pound notes. That was getting on for a decade ago though.

KissesBreakingWave Mon 28-Oct-13 11:43:06

And they're entirely happy with Sterling, too. They give you goooooood price.

4yoniD Tue 29-Oct-13 17:58:58

oh gawd yes, good price .... asda price, lol.

KissesBreakingWave Tue 29-Oct-13 22:09:03

They're still doing that? Ace.

eurochick Tue 29-Oct-13 22:14:43

We have always spent Egyptian pounds when we have visited. Take hand sanitiser - the currency always feels really greasy and dirty (I think because everyone is sweaty there all year round).

ExitPursuedByABogieMan Tue 29-Oct-13 22:16:30

I think tips in American dollars or sterling are preferred. Enjoy.

dontyouknow Thu 31-Oct-13 15:03:39

Sterling seemed fine. A bit too happy with Sterling in my experience - a couple of taxi drivers claiming we'd agreed 10 "english pounds" (as they called them) rather than the 10 Egyptian pounds (about £2) we had actually agreed!

breward Thu 31-Oct-13 18:53:12

Don't change any money in England. Change it at the bank in Egypt. Even at the airport you get 20% better exchange rate than you do in the UK. We changed all ours in the UK then regretted it when we saw how much more you got locally.

Most of the people we met took UK £ and changed it as they needed it or went to the cashpoint. We had loads left over so we changed some with other holidaymakers before we returned to the UK.

We went to Cairo, Aswan, Luxor and Hurghara. Loved the first three, but Hurghada was dead. When we arrived at the huge AI hotel there were only about 20 other guests... it was completely soul-less. There was nothing to buy, hence why we had so much money left over... the locals got some good tips, but with no guests it might have been their only ones.

Great country and a fabulous holiday. Well worth a visit. Shame it is still unstable in Cairo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now