Help me to pack please!

(9 Posts)
Chocolateporridge Sat 26-Oct-13 15:21:24

In a few weeks we're going on a week's all inclusive holiday to the canaries! I am officially the world's worst packer, I stress about it for weeks and then end up shoving as much stuff in as I possibly can, only to arrive and realise that I've got way too much stuff and have still managed to forget essentials!

Obviously my DH will pack his stuff but do you have any tips what to pack for my 3yo DD and myself? My dream would be to have a proper "capsule" wardrobe for us both smile

All tips gratefully accepted, or recommendations for good websites?

GooFawkes Sat 26-Oct-13 15:25:44

The first point to consider is will you have a washing machine? I the answer is no, ten you need enough for DD to have (potentially) 2 outfits a day.

I have 3 and 6yo girls who can easily wear 2 or 3 outfits a day on holiday, and nothing can stretch to being worn twice

Artandco Sat 26-Oct-13 15:26:52

What's the weather like there in winter? I'm assuming half warm/ half rain- cold days

3 year old:

Wear jeans/ top/ jumper and jacket out with boots

X1 jeans
X4 dresses
X2 shorts
X4 t shirts
X1 cardigan

Artandco Sat 26-Oct-13 15:27:59

Oh and I say the opposite. They spend most the day in a pool so actual clothes rarely worn and can be worn again.

coffeespoons Sat 26-Oct-13 16:20:27

You don't need a washing machine, it will be warm and you can do a quick handwash in the sink!

With clothes I like to make sure all the clothes are on the same colour scheme so you can wear them all together.

Allalonenow Belgium Sat 26-Oct-13 16:32:56

Pick a colour scheme of one main and one highlight colour, black and white for instance, and only pack clothes in those colours, though you could take a couple of scarves in different colours. For every skirt or pair of trousers try to take two or three tops that will go with each one.
It will be warm there, so take light clothes. If there is a sudden unexpected cold snap, just wear layers.
Have a lovely time!

Chocolateporridge Sat 26-Oct-13 16:50:22

The weather is usually mid twenties but a bit breezy, and there is a laundry room. I love the colour scheme tip! How many swimming costumes should I pack, and does anyone still bother with sarongs?

notenoughlicorice Sat 26-Oct-13 17:22:12

take lots of undies if you have no washing machine.
everything else you can probably skimp on.

You certainly don't need much thick clothing - just to and from the airport (one jacket and pair of jeans).
One lightweight longsleeved cardigan (2 max), similar for long legged pants - for evenings.
2 sets of swimwear might make things easier if one is wet etc, but might not even be necessary.
Shorts, skirts, t-shirts: 1 or 2 sets per day max.
Shoes: one set for to and from the airport, 1 pair slip ons for day wear and one nice going out pair (though ideally the airport ones will be the same pair).

If the shops are affordable odds are you will buy new stuff.

DO not take anything you think you look unattractive in as you won't wear it.

Do take a good broad brimmed hat each to stop sunburn.

Chocolateporridge Tue 29-Oct-13 19:50:18

Thanks notenough, what you said about not packing anything unflattering really makes sense, I always end up packing the same things every year and not wearing them because they look awful! I've just spent the last few days buying a few nicer bits and bobs on eBay to replace the horrible old stuff thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now