Things to do in New York!

(15 Posts)
CinammonGirl Thu 24-Oct-13 19:48:20

My DH and I are off on our long overdue honeymoon to New York in November and as neither of us have been before I just wondered if anyone could suggest some "must-see/do" ideas for me - we'd like to plan out what we are doing before we go as we are not there for long and want to make the most of our time there smile

Thanks!

PortoFiendo Thu 24-Oct-13 19:51:19

Top of the Rock, rickshaw round Central Park, Ellen's Stardust Diner, dinner in Little Italy, cocktails at the Waldorf Astoria, boat trip from Battery Park.

showmethemoneyhoney Thu 24-Oct-13 19:57:36

Staten Island Ferry (free), Top of the Rock, Katz's Diner (famous for that scene in When Harry Met Sally and go when you are starving as the portions are enormous!), The Tenement Museum on the Lower East Side, World Trade Centre Memorial, Times Square at night, Central Park and Ellis Island.

LittleSiouxieSue Thu 24-Oct-13 20:55:57

Museum of Modern Art, Guggenheim, the High Line, Soho, Meatpacking District, East Village, Central Park ice skating, Chrysler Building and Flat Iron Building (just to look at). So much to see. I wish I was going...

CoolStoryBro Thu 24-Oct-13 20:57:51

Only go to the Guggenheim if the spiral is open. It wasn't on Tuesday.

CoolStoryBro Thu 24-Oct-13 21:00:39

And check on Ellis Island. It reopens on Monday after a year post Sandy and it might be so crazy busy as to not be worth it. As a free alternative, take the Stattan Island Ferry for a great view of the Statue of Liberty.

southeastdweller Thu 24-Oct-13 21:01:32

As you're not there for long (maybe a week?), my must-sees are:

Staten Island Ferry
Liberty Island
A Broadway show
Ellis Island
Times Square
Katz's Diner (assuming you both eat meat)
Central Park
Museum of Modern Art
West Village for strolling around
Cupcakes from Billy's Bakery or Magnolia
East Village for drinking

Enjoy. There's no place like New York!

TheDoctrineOfAnyFucker Thu 24-Oct-13 21:02:17

Ellis island, Rockefeller centre skating if on by then, how many days and where is your hotel?

CoolStoryBro Thu 24-Oct-13 21:02:48

Wear comfy shoes.
If you're heading to Macys, wander down a few more blocks to 30th for some brilliant cheapo jewelry stores.

CoolStoryBro Thu 24-Oct-13 21:04:40

And have a cocktail at The Boathouse in Central Park.

CoolStoryBro Thu 24-Oct-13 21:10:38

And if you fancy a rooftop bar, STK, The Peninsula Hotel and the Gansevoort are all fun, to name just 3.
Right, that's it from me!

CinammonGirl Thu 24-Oct-13 21:22:13

Wow thanks guys some great suggestions here! Am loving the jewellery tip (DH says I was a magpie in a past life!) Our hotel is 5 minutes walk from time square. I'll show DH this thread at the weekend and we can make a plan smile

3nationsfamily Fri 25-Oct-13 14:02:26

Depending on when in November you are there, note that the big sales in all the shops (like our Boxing day) start the day after Thanksgiving (so the last Friday in November 29th).

GwenStacy Fri 25-Oct-13 14:08:51

We had eight days there a year ago, and found the best way to plan our time efficiently was to plot everything we wanted to see or do on a google map, then we could plan our days around activities that were in the same area - if you're interested, our map is here - we did very little shopping, so mostly food and museum based!

Leopoldina Fri 25-Oct-13 14:11:20

the cheapo jewellery stores are all on 6th. Trade prices...
For real old school new york, the Monkey Bar on E 54th is glorious - post prohibition, grand piano in the corner, strong cocktail, fantastic.
I like walking around SoHo - the architecture, great shopping (no need to go to Bloomingdales uptown now. Unless you want to go to Serendipity at the same time...)
The West Village - all the 60s history of dive bars & musicians on MacDougall St / Washington Square Park. The Waverly diner is a good place for breakfast (don't bother with taking hotel breakfast)
Union Sqare diner for 4am dinner / Blue Water Grill on Union Sq also very nice. Oh and the Bryant park Grill.

It may be utterly bloody cold in November so take lots of thin layers! And gloves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now