Who do I inform that I'm taking my child out of school for 4 weeks??

(44 Posts)
kashoph Wed 16-Oct-13 22:55:24

I have booked a 4 week holiday to South East Asia with my 9 year old this coming January.

Can anyone help me on the following questions?

Who do I inform about our travels? Do I go directly to the school or do I now have to approach an education authority since the new changes in September regarding head teachers not being permitted to consider any holidays during term time?

Or, will I have to de-register my child from the school and re-register upon our return and what are the conditions of this?

Am I going to get into trouble for taking her out of school?

Just to give a bit of info about my child for those who may not agree with removing children from school for extended periods...I believe that my child will benefit greatly from travel to another country. She is extremely bright and is way ahead of her peers in most core subjects. But school is not easy for her as she does struggle socially and with friendship groups so I think a break from this was be good for her.

duchesse Sun 20-Oct-13 22:35:48

OP I think it sounds like a wonderful, enriching experience. As long as you treat it as an educational experience it can only benefit her. If however, you are just going to lie by the pool for 4 weeks I'd think she'd be better off in school. She needs to be doing this with her eyes open.

Friend did this for a term with her son at age 10. He's still behaving foully aged 15 but he benefited greatly from a term away.

I disagree with people who think that the way to cure social problems is to force them to stay doing the same humdrum things they always do for an extra month. She's 9, presumably in year 4 or 5- how are social problems suddenly going to be sorted in school during the month of January 2014 when they haven't yet? I fail to understand the argument.

She will however remember this experience for ever.

kashoph Sun 20-Oct-13 23:35:52

Absolutely this is going to be an eye opening and educational trip for her (and me). We are both going to write a diary everyday, which will include the main learning basics (and more) such as: Literacy - writing about experiences and observations. Maths - distances, using foreign money, times... History - visits to historical sites, learning about the King...
Geography and nature - maps, rivers, forests, animals, islands etc... Art - visits to sites, general awareness of surroundings. Culture, obviously. Physical exercise. And the all important taking time out to relax and take everything in.

I agree with you duchesse that any issues won't be solved by being at school. However, I'm not expecting things to be solved by going away, I'm just hoping that having a break from the norm and having her eyes opened a bit will be beneficial and help her (even if just a tiny bit).

kashoph Sun 20-Oct-13 23:51:17

My daughter does still seek out other children to talk to and to play with when we are out somewhere so I'm not concerned about her being isolated from children in her age group. Admittedly this is becoming a bit less as she is getting older but thankfully this is not an issue to be worried about just yet.
Yes, vaccinations! She is more up to date than I am, but we both need a rabies jab and Hep jabs. Already stocked up on Deet and Avon Skin So Soft.

EBearhug Mon 21-Oct-13 00:01:51

Have you tried DEET? I mention this as it brings me up in impressive welts, and I stuck to using Mosiguard on my skin when I spent 3 months in Borneo in the middle of the jungle and just used DEET on my mossie net and the like - though check the fabrics, it can melt plasticky stuff.

MerylStrop Mon 21-Oct-13 00:11:20

Doesn't really matter whether its educational or not - but you will in all likelihood be fined and possibly deregistered.

If you can live with that risk, no problem, but also consider the impact on the school which will like all school be utterly under the kosh in terms of improving attendance. Stuff like this brings down average attendance, and there are many egs on here of kids who have been refused authorised abscence for much more credible reasons.

It also seems to me that you are not happy with the school and what it provides for your daughter, perhaps this will give you the opportunity to consider that properly and think about whether another school would be a better fit.

trianglecirclesquare Mon 21-Oct-13 00:31:48

DEET is great stuff and incredibly effective - but you'll need a 7% or 10% for your DD. Mosiguard is also very effective and entirely natural - you can order it off Amazon. Avon Skin So Soft does not deter mossies in clinical trials - please don't rely on it (unless you're just using it to make your skin soft, in which case go for it!).

Oh, yeah, deregister and have fun!

BeCool Mon 21-Oct-13 00:45:17

I back packed around SE Asia with my Dad and Step mum when I was 12. For 6 weeks.

It was truly the best thing that ever happened in my life (until I had DC smile).

Your DD will love it. Happy travels - enjoy.

Aeroaddict Mon 21-Oct-13 13:48:58

I don't have any advice about what to do re school, I just wanted to say what a fantastic idea. I've seen the effects travelling can have on children's confidence, after several children in my extended family have done this, and really blossomed. I hope you have a great time and it helps your DD!smile

BeCool Mon 21-Oct-13 14:55:35

Just to add I missed my first 4 weeks of high school to do these travels.

It had absolutely no negative impact on my schooling at all, and overall was a massive boost to so many aspects of my formative years.

specialsubject Mon 21-Oct-13 15:27:04

forget 'natural' insect repellents, they do work - for about 30 seconds. Mosqiutoes are natural too. As is dengue fever, for which there is no vaccination, prophylactic or treatment. It is very serious in children and having it once will mean she takes a very high risk in ever visiting anywhere tropical ever again.

Blu Mon 21-Oct-13 16:21:11

Mosiguard is effective.

kashoph Tue 22-Oct-13 22:18:27

Great! Fantastic to hear from people who have positive experiences to write about.

With regards to mozzies, I haven't tested out the DEET yet but will checking it out and seeing if we are both ok with it soon. I am a bit scared of it to be honest! I have been looking into it a bit more and think we will probably take a range of both chemical based and natural products - possibly douse ourselves all over in natural ones so we stink to the little blighters then apply chemical ones on more exposed areas: ankles, feet, hands, wrists, neck and shoulders. Although I am thinking we will use a deet based product in slightly more remote areas where there is likely to be more mozzies and less people for them to choose from.

Anyone know what is ok to apply to the face?

EBearhug Tue 22-Oct-13 22:40:32

The main thing to do is to cover up in the evening/at night. You can get hats with built-in mossie nets (annoying, though.) I used mosiguard on my face - avoid the eyes, though!

Also, tiger balm for leeches. A dab of balm next to any approaching leech, and they won't hang around. Trouble is, you might not notice till it's too late.

BeCool Tue 22-Oct-13 22:50:47

YY cover up esp dawn & dusk. long sleeve pale clothing. Use those coils you burn, sleep under nets. no perfume. check your products are low/no perfume.

You can apply all the repellent you like but really you need to avoid the mosses.

You worry about all this now, prepare now - when you are there you just get on with your adventure.

milkybarsrus Wed 23-Oct-13 20:34:17

Your child, your choice. I think that you know whether being out of school will be good or bad for her. But the decision has been made now based on your adult decision which is highly important! Enjoy every minute of your time together having these valuable life experiences.

specialsubject Thu 24-Oct-13 11:13:04

Some very dangerous ignorance here. You need to protect against mosquitoes all day. The dengue mosquito bites during the day time. Dengue is more prevalent in urban areas.

you are made of chemicals. You cannot avoid them.

SavoyCabbage Thu 24-Oct-13 11:39:08

It sounds like you are going to have a wonderful time. Not the mozzies, but the rest.

monopoly123 Sun 27-Oct-13 21:16:46

I spoke to a few doctors about deet and they told me the risk was with eating it/licking hands so advised me to apply it to my children (then 3&6ish so too old to be chewing fists). We covered up in the evenings and didn't have many moxie bites between us.

EBearhug Sun 27-Oct-13 23:45:16

I would just test it at home first, in case any of you react to it. Most people I travelled with were fine, but I had impressive red marks on my skin. Like you're meant to do sensitivity tests with hairdye before you use it. Easier to find out and deal with it when you're still home than when you're in the middle of nowhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now