Please please help re virgin flight

(27 Posts)
Flatasawitchestit Sun 13-Oct-13 09:31:36

I'm having a mini breakdown here hmm

DH booked for us to go to NYC for a short break next month, unfortunately he just can't come now so my friend is taking his place.

Or was ��

I've rang last minute today to see how I change it and I can't. No way at all as Virgin do not allow this. I can cancel his tickets and get a £99 taxes refund and book her a ticket but currently for the same dates they're coming in at approx £900 - we only paid £600 inc hotel!

Him coming is not an option at all, please can anyone throw me a lifeline here please and give me some hope that I can change things somehow?

Forever grateful smile

PestoSpookissimos Sun 13-Oct-13 11:02:44

Can your friend get different flights to you, but on the same dates? Might be cheaper if you're not tied to the same airline.

specialsubject Sun 13-Oct-13 12:01:16

what do your travel insurers say?

Flatasawitchestit Sun 13-Oct-13 13:23:30

I wouldn't mind different flights at all, trouble is they're £800 min on same day now.

Insurance only covers illness - the usual type of cover. If I'd have known there was some other type that covers cancellation I'd have got it!

SavoyCabbage Sun 13-Oct-13 13:27:48

I don't think there is much you can do. He can't go. You can't change the tickets. You can't claim insurance.

All you can do is look for cheaper flights with another airline.

Have you looked at your contract and what it says about changes to bookings? Tried phoning head office?

I don't understand, I've never known anyone to have problems (other than the admin charge) changing a name on a flight. confused

why do they say they can't change it? hmm computer says no?

is there time to raise this with a consumer advice person in the media? Companies often seem to back-pedal when they get bad publicity

exexpat Sun 13-Oct-13 13:34:04

I think you are screwed, unfortunately. I presume the original tickets you bought were the common economy kind which are cheaper because they are non-transferable/non-flexible etc? Sadly that does mean that if your plans change, the money you have spent on the tickets goes down the drain.

I think you just have to keep on shopping around for your friend to see if you can get any more reasonable flights around the same time - have you tried different agents, online price comparison sites etc? Sometimes if you wait until the last minute, better deals become available.

Otherwise, how do you feel about a few days in New York by yourself? I'd love it - freedom to wander round and please myself - but I know solo travel is not everybody's thing.

exexpat Sun 13-Oct-13 13:40:12

Virgin fare conditions: "Passenger name changes are not permitted" and unless you booked a flexible/refundable fare (more expensive), date changes and refunds are also not allowed.

well, that sucks

even Ryanair allow name changes (although I know they charge a lot for the privilege)

Flatasawitchestit Sun 13-Oct-13 14:12:29

Yeah it does suck and I'm really pissed off at myself as when I was given this trip as a present (had a rough year with my dad dying suddenly) I thought I'd book virgin as they've treated me well a long time ago when I flew to the US and felt I wanted to travel with them again. If I'd only have known they I'd not have bothered and gone for a different airline. Its pathetic really, it's just a name change?! I'm happy to pay for admin fees taxes etc.

Looked at price comparison sites. All mega bucks.

I wouldn't mind travelling alone but I was firstly looking forward to some us time, then DH couldn't come so next best person was my best friend and SIL who was with me when my dad died and I felt she could do with the treat too.

Kind of wish we'd not bothered now.

OP sweetie, most major carriers will not allow a change in passenger. That is what non-transferable means.

I don't want to make you feel any worse, but blame Virgin. It's kid of your fault for not reading the fine print or understanding this.

DON'T blame Virgin!

Flatasawitchestit Sun 13-Oct-13 14:25:58

I know, I just didn't expect to have to change tickets. My mum was having the little ones for us but she's too caught up with the grief at the moment and stress (after seemingly coping ok) we thought it was unfair to expect it as we've got a 1 year old who may tire her out so we decided we'd worry too much etc. There isn't anyone else who can have them, him coming isn't an option sad

OliviaBenson Sun 13-Oct-13 14:28:36

Could your sil not look after dc, so you and dh can both still go?

"If I'd only have known they I'd not have bothered and gone for a different airline. Its pathetic really, it's just a name change?! I'm happy to pay for admin fees taxes etc".

Unfortunately the type of economy ticket you booked was both non transferable and non flexible too in terms of date therefore no changes are permitted. Such tickets that do allow changes cost considerably more. Other airlines like BA do exactly the same with regards to such fares across their classes.

Airfares as well do increase the nearer to the date of departure; that is also not unusual either. This will also not be covered by travel insurance; they will state that you should have read the small print.

dancemom Sun 13-Oct-13 15:44:04

Go yourself and have a great weekend doing your own thing

Or ask SIL to have DC?

toolatetobed Sun 13-Oct-13 17:51:56

OP, is your Mum definitely not capable of looking after the children? Does she have any friends who might be willing to come round during the daytime and help look after the children alongside her so that it isn't all falling to her? Or do you know any responsible teenagers living near your Mum who you could perhaps pay to turn up and help look after the children alongside your Mum?

whattodoo Sun 13-Oct-13 17:56:08

Could DM have the eldest child and SIL the youngest?

Flatasawitchestit Mon 14-Oct-13 03:12:50

That was the only week DH could get off for a good few months, CNST rearrange. Difficult with mum at moment emotionally and all my family live over 2 hours away so would need someone here for a few days.

I am going to have a think.

Flatasawitchestit Mon 14-Oct-13 20:57:32

I'm pondering about upgrading DH ticket to premium class and then changing the name.... This may be a way out?

surely that would cost a massive amount more than a new economy class ticket? (assuming "premium" = like business class)

gallicgirl Mon 14-Oct-13 21:52:52

Is the reason your DH can't come child care?

Maybe you could pay for a baby sitter to come and help out your mum.

preggersbycheggers Tue 15-Oct-13 12:33:47

I don't think upgrading the ticket will enable you to change the name either.

What are your dates of travel??

I do not think this will work either unfortunately because no upgrading to tickets is allowed either. Also Premium Economy on VA apart from being far more expensive is really not worth the extra cash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now